D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Green Dragon

Spells for Nile?

Quick question on Spells. Tharkold made a big point to list specific spells from the CRB & Pixauds that are available. I know Orrorsh, for those that practice the (Gaunt Man) hated Four Magics, could theoretically know other spells besides what is in their sourcebook. But Mathematics and Engineering work slightly differently.

Now Engineering is the Arcane equivalent of Weird Science and is mainly used to create Arcane Gadgets - Enchanted Weapons, Tombs from Indiana Jones movies, etc. So I'm not overly concerned about that here.

But Mathematics. There is the handful of spells in the Nile SB, plus Confusion from SKG. And that's it. I could have sworn there was a reference somewhere, that indicated that the CRB spells could be used for Mathematicians (presumably after the GM replaces Backlash with # Planets). But I can't find that anywhere. Can anyone shed some insight?

I wasn't able to find a published reference to converting non-Nile spells into Mathematics spells. The Clerics SB does convert miracles with a chart of the planets that are associated with each miracle, perhaps you're remembering that?

The last Torg campaign I ran (so long ago) I had a player running a Nile Mathematician and I know that we were playtesting new rules and an expanded list of spells that I'd adapted from the other books but the only remnants I can find are some printouts, the computer files are missing. Nothing in the printouts suggest how I was determining the planets for the new spells though. :(

I have looked over Detect Magic. The Mathematics version is DN+2, has a range of 25' (7.5m(5)) instead of 40m(8). Where it gets interesting is the effect. If any magic (standard, mathematics, engineering, pulp sorcery, occult, or even miracles) is within 25', the spell says "there is magic in range". The inclusion of miracles makes sense with Nile magic, since magicians and priests are viewed similarly in Egyptian myths and stories.

Where it gets interesting is that for DN+2, range is -3, and only Minimum success counts. The Nile version does not give additional information for degree of success, so it doesn't actually locate or identify any magic.

There is a location spell (Locate Water iirc, I don't have the book handy atm), and the difficulty of that spell is 2 higher than a locator spell (Find Things maybe?) from Pixaud's. So I'm thinking converting spells would involve DN+2, with a required number of planets based either on the backlash # or the skill total requirement. Planets that may be configured should be selected based on which gods seem appropriate for the effect.