barrataria

Experiences With the d6 System Book Wound Levels?

7 posts in this topic

Checking through my d6 fantasy mashup, I've been looking at SW and the d6 cookbook to see what different options for each core rule existed. I don't think I ever looked at the wound levels I was surprised to see that instead of working from raw damage numbers they are based on multiples of resistance totals. So a hit doing less than 2X the resistance total is 1 wound, 2X the resistance is 2 wounds, 3x the resistance total is 3 wounds, up to 5-6x the resistance total inflicting 5 wounds.

It seems to me that this drastically softens the wound table, but I'm curious how this has worked in practice for people if anyone's tried it. It certainly flattens out the wild die results (good for keeping a PC alive I guess).

The damage/resistance multiples rule was based on Star Wars 1E which worked as follows:

DR < SR : Stun

DR ≥ SR : Wound

DR ≥ 2xSR : Incapacitate

DR ≥ 3xSR : Mortal Wound

So yes, I've used it, but I have little memory of the game mechanical nuances of it from practice since I stopped using this when the updated damage/resistance differences rule came out so long ago. While every successful attack automatically resulted in at least a stun, it was less deadly and that is one of the stated reasons it was changed for Star Wars (I suspect another reason was to simplify the arithmetic for the mathematically-challenged players).

Yeah, I could see some people blowing a gasket trying to figure out multiples of a roll of 18 for damage resistance. :)

Wound levels definitely increase the survivability of the characters, albeit at the cost of extra math. I got increase durability with a combo of body points and wound levels while still using a strength resistance roll to diminish the damage.

Thanks as usual fellas. I didn't realize it was recycling 1E. I guess the math problem would be mine, since I make the resistance rolls for NPCs. I might try this out but I'm not inclined to ditch the 2E scale (as I've tweaked it).

I also guess that would really magnify the blaster-proof wookiee problem? Since now you don't just have to get 8 points over his resistance, you have to double it up or triple it up?

Oh yeah... blaster-proof Wookiees get bolstered with 1e wound levels.

Again, it's why I went with a blend.

Imagine this:

5D Wookiee has say 40 Body Points.

Each time a weapon hits the Wookiee, it's Damage vs. STR. Even if damage is only a single point above the resistance roll, it removes from the 40 Body Points.

The first 10% (or 4 Body Points) is a gimmee....nothing happens as a long term effect on the character.

After the 10%, up to 25% (5-10 points out of 40), the character is Wounded.

26% to 50% (11 to 20 Body Points) is "Wounded Twice" or -2D to skills

51% to 75% (21-30 Body Points) is "Incapacitated", meaning the person is knocked out for a short time and then suffers -3D to skills after that.

76% to 100% (31 to 40 Body Points) is "Mortally Wounded", meaning the person is bleeding and will lose 1 Body Point a minute unless appropriately treated, is likely knocked out for a while, and when they are awake are at -4D to skills

Over 100% is DEAD.

So just 1 point will add up over time. Whereas with the other systems it's just a "Stun", I inflict a "stun" for the round any time a person takes any wound, even temporary damage (from a fist fight, for example). And those little 1's and 2 damage hits will add up quickly above the 10% limit and lead to the Wookiee being "wounded" after taking multiple "minor" wounds over the course of a battle. Still a good chance the 5D STR will resist many hits, but those that DO inflict some damage should really do more than just "stun" the character most of the time.

That all said, if you want your characters or NPCs to really get their "hero" on, the 1x, 2x, 3x, and so on for wound levels is certainly the way to do it! It increases the staying power of the characters, both good and evil, in the game.

Well said, and thanks for sharing this again. As you might recall from our correspondence a while back, "increasing the staying power" was not something I had a problem with, I had combats going on for eons with no damage. It's better now, but I look forward to testing some more.

And now I've seen a Rancor Pit post where folks were discussing that the quality of the shot, not the weapon, should matter more. At your suggestion I've used result points to increase missile damage in fantasy games... maybe the die code of the weapon should be affected by the result points from the hit. More to noodle on. Thanks as always!

Well, the Rancor Pit has some interesting ideas, but several of their members go a tad overboard on things at times.

Quality of a shot should definitely have a play on the damage done. A shot in the arm is going to do damage, but a shot in the abdomen or head is going to have a much greater impact with that damage that was done. The weapon certainly does have a play, though, and should never be downplayed. I'd much rather be hit with a .22 bullet in the abdomen, or even arm, than with a .50 caliber bullet. Even a .30-06 is going to make your day a lot worse than a .22 will, no matter where it hits you.

So it's good to take BOTH into account, but never to weight too much with one or the other.