D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Clark

Lords

I made a thread before talking about how I was working on a new setting, but now that I have finished a working concept I decided to make another thread to show/discuss the setting's actual concept. Feel free to ignore if it sucks, but here is what I am now writing in my spare time:

During their peek of conventional civilization, the resources of a world far from Earth started to become scarce. All iron, lithium, usable copper, and fossil fuels were expended or in use. Wars over the last few mines broke out resulting global devastation. Medievalist groups

from the surviving countries made great efforts to limit the population growth of their species, and even greater efforts were made to return unrestricted nature back to dominance.

Just as civilization was about to be forcibly reverted to a more primitive level of technology, a breakthrough was made in a brand new field. Crystalline structures were made in gems and jewels capable of making psychic/psionic links to certain users. These crystal devices were capable of manipulating the laws of physics and nature. The level of this connection depended on the user, with some being able to bring out more potential than others. The people who were capable of bringing out the most potential in these new devices were called 'mages,' and the new field of technology based on these psionic principles was called 'magic.' The most powerful of the mages took places of great power in the world, and dubbed themselves as Lords of the planet.

In the post-consumer values of the world, technology based on mechanical sciences are greatly limited. Metal is scarce, and most of the old technology was stripped to build housing structures. Things like robotics or mechanical automation are considered wasteful devices for the lazy, and to enforce the importance and respect for nature farming equipment is kept just above a post-industrial level.

Fossil fuels have been completely depleted, and most of the cities are powered by solar and wind farms.

Everything is a work in progress, and I am open to new ideas. I am not really sure how detailed I want this setting to be, or what I should actually call it (It is called 'Lords' for now). I will try to stick as much as possible to standard D6 System rules, and keep things down to a manageable level.

I am also open to any kind of feedback, even if it is just to say the idea sucks.

Edited by Zen Clark

There's something about the "scarce resources" that has always made me tend to avoid games with that in it. No oil, almost no metals....that doesn't interest me all that much. But that's just me. Obviously there are people who enjoy it. You seem to have an interest in it.

Do what interests YOU. If you have a love for something, it will show through. If you have an engaging idea, and it's conveyed with the love of someone who really likes it, you may attract more people. So rather than tinkering to cater to a select few, do what really interests YOU, something that you have a vested interest in!

Do what interests YOU. If you have a love for something, it will show through. If you have an engaging idea, and it's conveyed with the love of someone who really likes it, you may attract more people. So rather than tinkering to cater to a select few, do what really interests YOU, something that you have a vested interest in!

That is what I normally do, but I have found that I need a certain level of feedback to keep my own interests up over the months or years spent on them. Projects without a certain level of public interest will receive no feedback. It just gets ignored, and no one will be willing to invest the time needed to give that proper level of feedback. Though I admit that I may have been a bit too impatient with my self-reply on this thread.

There's something about the "scarce resources" that has always made me tend to avoid games with that in it. No oil, almost no metals....that doesn't interest me all that much. But that's just me. Obviously there are people who enjoy it. You seem to have an interest in it.

My main intent with that is not a real absence of resources, but a reason to move away from the reliance of the 'conventional' technology. Based on that comment and input from another source/person I will be reworking that idea.

I have thought up a much simpler setting idea to work with that covers all the main ideas I am planning and will be working with that.

An Earth-like world with a technology level around the late 21st Century suffers from an undetectable disease that wipes out about 9 billion out of 10 billion people. Certain people were affected more severely than others, and some were completely immune to it. Much scientific knowledge was lost. The remaining survivors form into small city-states.

A century later scientists studying the sickness discover psionics and that the sickness seems to be somehow psionic in origin. It preys on those with weak psionic potential.

Two centuries later psionic technology surpasses pre-sickness technology. One century after that, the city-states turn into warring empires.

Players will either be soldiers/mercenaries during the wars or police/investigators after a peace treaty.

Edited by Zen Clark