D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Clark

New project for a while

I started working on a project mainly using GURPS, but have since decided to restart the entire thing. With the remake in progress, I am considering going back to using Open D6.

It is going to be a science-fiction fantasy setting, using psionic-based technology.

The main inspiration comes from wanting to create a more detailed setting based on the Nanoha series, which is one of my favorite shows.

I should have something to show in a few weeks, but I am currently trying to find an efficient method of representing equipment that scales in power depending on the user.

I w as burned out on my last project because I was not making much progress in actually writing out my ideas for the setting onto paper like I needed to.

Is there anyway to delete a thread/post on this site?

Edited by Zen Clark

Good to hear you're considering going back to D6!

What post or thread are you wanting to delete? I don't know if a user can delete the thread if anyone else has responded to that thread already.

If you could explain a little about the scaling of power based on user, I might be able to provide some ideas for you to work with.

I am still working on how I exactly the scaling should be like, but over all I would like the equipment to have more variable power depending on the person using it. It might be that the psionic-based weapon's damage would be based on a mixture of skills and attributes similar to melee damage.

Overall, when a character is made the power of the equipment should be depended on the stats of the character itself instead of static values, and I would like something that could increase the value of the equipment as the character advances instead of them resorting to getting better equipment.

And I was at first thinking of having this thread deleted, since before my edits it was pretty much just me saying "I'm doing something!" I only realized how incredibly pointless it was after I had posted it. Especially since I never really manage to complete my projects even if I spend years on them.

You could create equipment with layered stats, and the prerequisite skill/attribute/power to boost to the next layer of stats.

So you could say something like:

Cloud Flyer

Hull: 2D

Cover: 1/4

Max Altitude: 5,000 meters

Layer 1 (up to 6D in Agility or 3D Psi Power) : Movement: 30, Maneuver 1D, Carry capacity = 1 crew

Layer 2 (6D+1 or greater in Agility or 4D to 6D Psi Power) : Movement: 45, Maneuver 1D+2, Carry Capacity = 1 crew + 50 kg

Layer 3 (7D to 9D Psi Power) : Movement: 70, Maneuver 3D, Carry Capacity = 1 Crew, 1 Passenger, + 50 kg

Layer 4 (10D+ Psi Power) : Movement: 90, Maneuver, 4D, Carry Capacity = 1 crew, 2 Passengers, +1D Shields

That way there's no calculation needs to determine what the stats of the item would be. It's simple determination if the user has the required ability or skill to achieve whatever Layer of ability for the equipment.

Then you could put in minimum qualifications for some more advanced equipment. Make a piece of equipment a commoner (non-Psi) person couldn't even use because they don't have Psi Power at a certain level.

Just a thought...

That could definitely work. The idea that certain pieces of equipment could not be used by certain people is a concept that I was intending to have. The layered stats/abilities are also similar to a degree to what the series that the idea comes from portrays. In the show one of the characters was only able to bring out a small portion of the device's full capabilities, enough that he ended up just giving it to the main character who could bring the potential out even more than he had imagined possible.

So I will probably use that concept by itself for some of the simpler equipment, and than have an almost spell-book/grimoire like setup for the more advanced devices.

Using mechanics similar to the spell creation system in D6 Fantasy, I think I'll have a skill-based cap on the abilities chosen/made, and then have the players train at later times to improve abilities used after increasing their skill/attribute level (up to the next skill-based cap).