Whill

I have you now

12 posts in this topic

I only played TORG a few times when it first came out, but I have been collecting WEG RPGs so have been on the lookout for a good deal on a complete TORG box set.

I finally acquired the original TORG box set. I found it sealed in plastic bag in a locked cabinet at one of my local Half-Price books stores with a $35 price tag. The box was in pretty good shape, and I had a coupon that gave me 50% off one item. So after tax I paid less than $20.00.

The inner contents are in near-mint condition. It is obvious that this game only had one previous owner and was never played, only gently read. The drama deck cards were punched out but all perfect. And I made sure not a single one was missing, including the several blank ones they give you. Everything was accounted for except for the d20 (which was specified as missing on the price sticker).

Score! Now I can say my RPG collection has every WEG game (except not every published worldbook for Masterbook). Now that I have the TORG box set, I plan on getting Kansas Jim's rules upgrade book to go with it. That should give me just about every major published edition of every WEG game. I may also get a setting book for the pulp Egypt reality because that was the most interesting TORG cosm to me.

Question for you TORG guys: What type of d20 came with the original box set so I can try to buy a replacement as close as possible to the original die? Thanks!

Blue-and-red swirled.

The closest color scheme I've found was called Biopsy by Chessex. It had silver lettering instead of white, but was very close.

It looks like this: http://xn--wrfelsammler-dlb.de/img/db/wm/611_big.jpg

You don't want Gemini, which despite being red and blue looks nothing like the Torg colors.

Unfortunately, they don't make Biopsy dice anymore. (I bought mine back in 1997!) Perhaps you could find sets on Amazon or eBay, though.

Hope this helps!

I very much appreciate the info and the image. Thanks!

Hey Whill,

My first set of dice I ever got was of that color scheme by Chessex, I'll be happy to send you my D20 from the set for the cost of shipping. The numbers are all in pretty good condition. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Edit:

On second thought, I'll send it your way as long as the postage isn't outrageous. Just send me a PM with your address or at least your zip code so I can price check at the Post Office tomorrow.

Thank you, Durran! Die received in great shape. I really appreciate it! Since you have refused remuneration of any kind, I promise to pay it forward and help someone else out in a similar way when I have the opportunity to do so.

:)

I plan on getting Kansas Jim's rules upgrade book to go with it... I may also get a setting book for the pulp Egypt reality because that was the most interesting TORG cosm to me.

I found a new condition copy of The Nile Empire sourcebook for $10 so ordered it. And although I prefer physical books, I am completely unwilling to pay $50 plus for a used (or new) condition copy of Revised & Expanded, so I went ahead and bought the R&E PDF at Drive-Thru RPG for $10.49 (They are having a GM's Day Sale of 30% off select items through March 9th). The download included free PDFs of the original box set World Book and Adventure Book.

The Torg R&E PDF doesn't include a back cover, and I'd really like that. I looked online and I couldn't find an image of that. Does anyone have a link to that or a decent image of that I can use to make into a PDF page?

I'd never noticed that the PDFs were missing the back cover. Weird.

I've been trying to take a picture of the back cover but it's so glossy I'm always getting reflections and glare off of it. I'll keep trying, maybe someone else will have better luck.

I'd never noticed that the PDFs were missing the back cover. Weird.

I've been trying to take a picture of the back cover but it's so glossy I'm always getting reflections and glare off of it. I'll keep trying, maybe someone else will have better luck.

I appreciate your efforts Jim!

I have most of the original TORG line, but since I bought the main box used, I never got a TORG die or Eternity Shard.