D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Green Dragon

WiFi and the Net

I was thinking about this the other day. Real world tech vs. what the writers could conceive of 20 years ago. And I'm thinking about a revision to my Kadandra Cosmbook to reflect this idea. Though I'm concerned it might need to make Kadandra Tech 27.

Real world, computers, and everything with a computer in it, can be wireless. But GodNet/Grid, Smartguns, and CyberControls, all use a jack/wire connection. Then I thought about upgrades in later Cyberpunk 2020 and more importantly CyberGeneration.

In CGen they introduced Virtuality. Instead of a Jack implant, everyone had a Neural Node, or a Trode-like device applied to he skull. With this, the Net could overlay Virtual images directly over the Physical world. So a theater would have a plain facade, and the a VX Facade in place of a Marquee visible to everyone with a link. Or Virtual Traffic Signs which can change as needed. Or redesigning your plain apartment to look like ancient Rome. etc.

Similar tech in CP2020 allowed for a "bluetooth" connection with one's machines.

The Cyberpapacy, with its primitive Cyber wouldn't have anything so impressive. Tharkold you would want Hardwired, to prevent hacking. But Kadandra is a more Utopian world than Tharkold (of course Marketplace is a Utopian world compared to Tharkold, so that's not saying much). Such tech could easily be a part of Kadandran society.

But, would it still be possible at Tech 26? It does seem a bit like "implants that imitate psionics" which is a Tech 26 criteria.

Shadowrun underwent a similar 'upgrade' a few editions ago IIRC with lots of wireless tech, virtual interfaces and whatnot. Most modern sci-fi RPGs it's now as ubiquitous as cyberspace used to be. I don't know if going from wired to wireless is a big enough jump to require an increase in the Tech axiom, it's probably all in the same axiom level with wired at the low end of 26 and wireless at the higher end. Tharkold might avoid wireless not only because of hacking but because the hardware might be considered less durable and less reliable on the battlefield, and too easy to jam with RFI.

I was thinking about this the other day. Real world tech vs. what the writers could conceive of 20 years ago. And I'm thinking about a revision to my Kadandra Cosmbook to reflect this idea. Though I'm concerned it might need to make Kadandra Tech 27.

Real world, computers, and everything with a computer in it, can be wireless. But GodNet/Grid, Smartguns, and CyberControls, all use a jack/wire connection. Then I thought about upgrades in later Cyberpunk 2020 and more importantly CyberGeneration.

In CGen they introduced Virtuality. Instead of a Jack implant, everyone had a Neural Node, or a Trode-like device applied to he skull. With this, the Net could overlay Virtual images directly over the Physical world. So a theater would have a plain facade, and the a VX Facade in place of a Marquee visible to everyone with a link. Or Virtual Traffic Signs which can change as needed. Or redesigning your plain apartment to look like ancient Rome. etc.

Similar tech in CP2020 allowed for a "bluetooth" connection with one's machines.

The Cyberpapacy, with its primitive Cyber wouldn't have anything so impressive. Tharkold you would want Hardwired, to prevent hacking. But Kadandra is a more Utopian world than Tharkold (of course Marketplace is a Utopian world compared to Tharkold, so that's not saying much). Such tech could easily be a part of Kadandran society.

But, would it still be possible at Tech 26? It does seem a bit like "implants that imitate psionics" which is a Tech 26 criteria.

One thing to consider is that "possible" is just that, possible. It doesn't mean it's been done or that it will be done. The Cyberpapacy is a high technology area, but it's also a brutal medieval theocracy. If you're walking around talking to the air on your Bluetooth, you're likely to get burned as a witch. Consider as well that the Cyberpapacy is partially based on Catholic Christian doctrine. That which is done in Heaven is reflected on Earth. So, when you go to church in the Cyberpapacy, you don't simply "jack-in" from home. You physically go to a church and "ascend" in a virtual sense to Heaven/Cyberspace to worship and receive Communion.

Also, having to physically link to devices makes the user more vulnerable since his body is helpless and immobile while he's logged in.

I would suspect that mobile/wireless devices are more common and advanced in Nippon Tech than in either Tharkold or the Cyberpapacy.