D6 Online 3.0
Havard

Converting FFG Star Wars to d6?

Has anyone had a go at converting material from the new Star Wars RPG (Fantasy Fight Games) back to D6?

Or isnt there anything in the new books that D6 Star Wars doesn't already cover? :)

-Havard

It's been several months but my recollection is that there wasn't a lot of source material you'd need to convert as much of it's already there. Possibly some of the vehicles, maybe a weapon or two? I suppose some of the careers could be turned into templates.

I suppose the talent system could be adapted as a sort of advantages system, though it would probably require a fair bit of efffort to turn it into something that would work without the career system underlying it. Might be possible to adapt Obligation without too much effort.

Yeah, I guess D6 Star Wars is pretty much complete. Maybe when Episode VII comes out there will be more things that could use conversion :)

-Havard

Yeah, overall the amount of "new" material that the various iterations of Star Wars (since West End Games) has been rather limited. Most of it is just rehashing the old D6 version of Star Wars.

I suppose some of the careers could be turned into templates.

I suppose the talent system could be adapted as a sort of advantages system, though it would probably require a fair bit of efffort to turn it into something that would work without the career system underlying it.

Careers = Classes. Talents = Feats. For FFG's system, it seems to me they started with D20 as a basis and went from there, so I imagine it would be much easier to convert from the most recent Star Wars game system. D6 may not be a dinosaur yet (we're still here), but its an endangered species. I'm sure FFG feels the D6 community is just a sparsely-populated grognard fringe, but I know for certain that there is a large contingency of orphaned WotC players playing the new game.

No, there's not a of stuff to convert anyway. I think actual game mechanical conversion to D6 would be a waste of energy. Just read the fluff text and stat it directly into D6 appropriately. I have everything for the new game so far, and its best quality is that the artwork is overall very good. There is a little valuable fluff here and there. I admit that I was a tad bit inspired by some of the skill consolidations and names so I slightly revised my SW D6 skill set. This new game is hardly any better than WotC. And I hated WotC.

Like Grimace said, there will more be new stuff for Episode VII.

I wrote out about 3 and 1/4 pages worth of translations, which amounts to a rundown of selected character type/templates and the skill that come with them. So, for example: for Smugglers I have written out the skills Coordination, Deception, Knowledge (Underworld), Perception, Piloting (space), Skullduggery, Streetwise, Vigilance. Under Smugglers I wrote out each of the "subtypes": Pilot, Scoundrel and Thief. And then the added list of skills that go with each Subtype, for example: Scoundrel has the included skill of Charm, Cool, Deception, Ranged (light).

I put the Skills organized by Attributes in list form for ease of reference, and copied out a list of "Common Low Level Adversaries". I read up on text in the EotE rulebook, and I would still need to reference it for specific skill descriptions. I already have on hand a selection of old WEG sourcebooks that correspond with the broad strokes of the Edge of Empire concept, a small portion of my larger collection of WEG sourcebooks in general.

If I went to actual game play, I would use my notes to construct the specific templates that any players would want to play, and leave the rest. A quick write up for those Low level adversaries and maybe one or two more powerful antagonists and I would leave it at that.

That's pretty much it. The surface level color of EotE, relying on the WEG D6 engine to drive the rest, along with winging it. I absolutely refuse to try and make one mechanic emulate another, and I'm not going to fiddle with the Feats/Advantages craziness. I know that sounds laughably simple, but that's what I like about D6: so laughably simple in the way that I'm laughing my head off at the prospect of wasting time with any other game system that is more complicated. I need my gaming system to be simple, I don't have the head for number crunching craziness or boring attempts at realism (which have killed the fun of a game for me).

I might look in on Obligations stuff, if it helps to drive a narrative; but hopefully I'll be able to just write up adventures that match with the way players see their characters as naturally motivated to respond to.

It is still a very nice looking book to flip through, is EotE.

I've played EotE and find it neat but overly complex. However, I do like some things like the way your equipment can be improved with modifications. And the classes do get the feeling of specialization much more than just how many dice you have in skills. Would love an attempt to merge both systems.