D6 Online 3.0
Durran

D6 Fantasy (Dungeons & D6) Converting Monsters from D&D to D6 Fantasy

13 hours ago, Mavelic said:

Thanks. ;)

Interesting to compare your point of view with Fantasy Creatures book.

Well, to be fair, it's a direct conversion from the Monster Manual using an online guide I found for converting D20 to D6.

There´s still hope..

Being a looong time gamer (since the late ´80s)playing mainly D&D in various editions and loving the WEG SWd6, our group recently became a little bored with d20 and we decided to change to d6 Fantasy. Being the main GM for these fellows I do see the work in front of me, as there a nearly no pre-made d6 FRP adventures. I do have copies of a nearly complete Pathfinder  RPG collection and would be VERY interested  in the conversion guidelines you mentioned in your last post.

And.. of cause in the vallues of the already converted monsters!!!

Would you mind to share?

Greetings from Germany

On 12/11/2018 at 1:35 PM, hdmD6 said:

There´s still hope..

Being a looong time gamer (since the late ´80s)playing mainly D&D in various editions and loving the WEG SWd6, our group recently became a little bored with d20 and we decided to change to d6 Fantasy. Being the main GM for these fellows I do see the work in front of me, as there a nearly no pre-made d6 FRP adventures. I do have copies of a nearly complete Pathfinder  RPG collection and would be VERY interested  in the conversion guidelines you mentioned in your last post.

And.. of cause in the vallues of the already converted monsters!!!

Would you mind to share?

Greetings from Germany

Absolutely!

Conversion Guidelines 1.2.pdf

16 hours ago, Durran said:

Thanks a lot for the link.. I could discuss wether the solar angel would have greater stats. However it is exactly this problem of balancing wich concerns me most.

In D20 it is quiet easy to see by Challenge Rating or Character Level how tough an encounter would be. The CR system helps a lot to create on the fly encounters. Is there a solution which would be compareable in usefulness for D6? I have to admit that my experience with D6 Fantasy is very limited (and SW D6 hasn´t been used for quiet some time).

Thx

Edited by hdmD6
spelling

On 12/12/2018 at 5:02 AM, Grimace said:

What kind of stats are you looking for?  Creatures?  Spells? Weapons?  

All of it 🙂

Especially Creatures and spells .. weapons are not much of a concern or work..

I´d very much appreciate any help that´d lessen my work of converting things..

I could offer converted creatures myself as soon as work is done on them, if wanted!? Which forum then?

Edited by hdmD6
added content

58 minutes ago, hdmD6 said:

Thanks a lot for the link.. I could discuss wether the solar angel would have greater stats. However it is exactly this problem of balancing wich concerns me most.

In D20 it is quiet easy to see by Challenge Rating or Character Level how tough an encounter would be. The CR system helps a lot to create on the fly encounters. Is there a solution which would be compareable in usefulness for D6? I have to admit that my experience with D6 Fantasy is very limited (and SW D6 hasn´t been used for quiet some time).

Thx

Typically, if you want a combat/monster encounter to be "balanced" with your players, you'll want to put your group against something which has combat skills equal to, or a little higher than your best player character's, withing 1 or 2D.  Since in D6 most of the skills to hit are also the skill to defend.

Full disclosure: My monster stats are untested.  I currently don't have a group, nor have I had a quiet moment to try running these in a solo RPG setting.  Most of my knowledge of balanced combat encounters is in Star Wars D6, but I would imagine that the principle is largely similar in D6 Fantasy.

I'm thinking about re-doing weapons using the weapon's D20 die as a benchmark.

1D12 = 4D, 1D10 = 3D+1, 1D8 = 2D+2, 1D6 = 2D, 1D4 = 1D+1

So, the maximum damage gets converted over to pips, 3 pips per 1D.

Edited by Durran

So, I've been re-thinking how I'm going to do magic in my conversions/games.

I came across my first spellcaster conversion while doing the Sunless Citadel for a solo play:  Belak the Outcast. 

Looking at my conversion guidelines, he would have a +4 to his Miracles skills, but what would his starting attribute be?

The answer I came up with is to incorporate a system from D6 Star Wars: Advanced Skills.  Now, when converting a Spellcaster, you find their highest spell level able to be cast, and this becomes their advanced skill level.  For the example of Belak: he's a 4th level Druid, able to cast 2nd level divine druid spells.  So now under the Acumen attribute, he has (A)Nature's Miracles 2D.  This (A) skill gets combined with the parent attribute to try and cast spells, so Belak has a 3D+2 Acumen, combined he rolls 5D+2 to cast any spells.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Casting Classes:

Cleric: Acumen - (A)Divine Miracles

Druid: Acumen - (A)Nature's Miracles

Sorcerer: Charisma - (A)Spontaneous Magic

Wizard: Intellect - (A)Wizardry

I'll probably cook up some additional options for each of them, giving Wizards lower difficulty numbers on spells that they prepare every day, whereas Sorcerers are able to shape their spells using metamagic for less of an increased difficulty.  A cleric's deity has to condone the action being undertaken by his cleric. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grimace said:

Out of curiosity, have you looked into the Magic & Miracles OpenD6 book on DriveThruRPG for ideas?

It's next on my wishlist.  I haven't picked it up yet.  

On 12/13/2018 at 12:42 PM, hdmD6 said:

All of it 🙂

Especially Creatures and spells .. weapons are not much of a concern or work..

I´d very much appreciate any help that´d lessen my work of converting things..

I could offer converted creatures myself as soon as work is done on them, if wanted!? Which forum then?

If you do decide to start doing your own creature conversions, I would suggest doing them by challenge rating rather than alphabetically.  The weaker monsters have fewer abilities, and more likely you're going to be populating your game with more of the lower CR creatures to start with, so your conversions will be better usable. 

On 12/15/2018 at 5:49 PM, Grimace said:

Out of curiosity, have you looked into the Magic & Miracles OpenD6 book on DriveThruRPG for ideas?

I did,..

..paid the worthy price and found it nice to get ideas about how to possibly use magic in a campaign.

The good news is, that once I switched over my conversions, I've had to look a lot less stuff up.  So, my Sunless citadel has maybe 5 or 6 more named creatures to convert, then I'm done.  I'll post a link to my blog when I finish.

I appreciate all of the help and suggestions folks have voiced (over the years)!

Here are some creatures I converted from AD&D to D6, probably 20 years ago...

Maybe these will give you some ideas of what you could do.  

BUGBEAR

STR         5D+1                       Move:  9                                  Scale:  Human

Brawling                  +2                            Fear:  6                                   Hit Points:  22

CON        3D+1

DEX        3D

Melee Combat          +2

Thrown Weapons    +2

INT          3D+1

Weapons:                 Mace                        STR+1D+1

Warhammer             STR+2D

Spear                       STR+2D

CENTAUR                                                              

STR         4D                           Move:  18                                 Scale:  Human

CON        4D                           Fear:  8                                    Hit Points:  28

DEX        4D

Melee Combat          +2

INT          2D+1                       Armor:     Body Shield             +1D+1 / +1D+1 / +1D+1

Weapons:                 War Club                 STR+1D+3

Composite Long Bow              4D+2

Light Horse Lance   STR+Move+2D

DIRE WOLF

STR         3D                           Move:  18                                 Scale:  Human

Brawling                  +1D                         Fear:  6                                    Hit Points:  24

CON        3D+2

DEX        4D

Dodge                      +2D

Running                   +3D

INT          1D

Attack:                     Bite                                          STR+2D

DROW

STR         2D+1 (Male)            Move:  12 (Male)                     Scale:  Human

3D (Female)                          15 (Female)

Brawling                  +1D                         Fear:  4                                    Hit Points:  14

CON        2D

DEX        4D                           Armor:     Alloy Chainmail       +2D+1 / +3D / +1D+2

Melee Combat          +1D                                         Buckler                    +1 / +1 / +1

Melee Parry             +1D

Missile Weapon       +1D

Sneak/Hide              +1D+2

INT          3D+2 (Male)

4D+2 (Female)

Magic Power:  1D (Resistance only)

Weapons:                 Alloy Long Dagger   STR+1D+2

Alloy Short Sword   STR+2D+1

Hand Crossbow       2D+2 (+ poison)

Alloy Mace              STR+1D+2

Javelin + Atlatl         STR+1D+1 (+20 meter range)

*all Drow wear black boots and cloaks that have a built-in +1D to resist fire attacks

*poison on crossbow bolts causes Sleep unless an Easy (8) roll is made.  Sleep lasts for 1D6 rounds then suffers sluggishness (-2 pips) for the next number of rounds equal to Sleep.

*there are some Drow that are magic users and have higher Magic Power which may be used to cast spells

*typically carry their wealth in a small leather bag hung around neck and tucked under their armor

*120 meter infravision.  Suffer –2 pips if take action in full, broad daylight

*each one can, once per day, cast Dancing Lights and/or Darkness at 1D ability

*female Drow can also, once per day, cast Detect Lie and Dispel Magic at 1D ability

*for every 10 Drow, a higher skilled male will be present and will carry an Alloy Buckler (+1D / +1D / +1D)

*for every 30 Drow, there will be at least 1, and as many as 6 females present.  One will be a Magic user of at least 4D power

GALEB DUHR

STR         6D                           Move:  6                                   Scale:  Large

Brawling                  +1D                         Fear:  18                                  Hit Points:  63

CON        4D+1                      

DEX        2D

INT          4D

Magic Power:  20D (limited)

Attack:                     Two Rocks Claws

Claw                                        STR+2 (Blunt)

*  Can use Magic Power to cast the following spells:  Wall of Stone, Pass Wall, Stone Shape, Move Earth

*  May also animate stones within 6 meters of creature

*  Suffers double damage from cold attacks

*  Not affected by lightning or fire attacks

GHOUL

STR         2D                           Move:  9                                  Scale:  Human

Brawling                  +1                            Fear:  4                                   Hit Points:  14

CON        2D

DEX        3D

INT          1D+2

Attack:                     2 claw attacks and/or 1 bite attack

Claw attack              STR+1D

Bite attack                 STR+2D

*  If actual hit point loss is inflicted on a character, target must roll Moderate Willpower check or be paralyzed in fear for 2 rounds

*  Immune to Charm and Sleep

*  This creature is kept completely at bay by Protection from Evil spells

GITHYANKI

STR         6D                           Move:  10                                 Scale:  Large

Brawling                  +3D+2                     Fear:  14                                  Hit Points:  70

CON        5D

DEX        3D+2                       Armor:     Magical Splint Mail  +3D+1 / +3D+2 / +3D

Melee Combat          +4D

Melee Parry             +3D

INT          4D+1

Weapons:                 Magical Silver Two-Handed sword          STR+6D

Magical Longsword                                 STR+4D+1

*  the weapons wielded by the Githyanki are cursed and may only be wielded by the creature.  Others attempting to wield it find themselves overcome with the desire to kill anyone and everyone.  It is also very difficult to simply cast the weapon aside, requiring a Difficult Willpower roll to do so.

*  most Githyanki will only wield the magical longsword, though some may wield the larger weapon

*  some of the Githyanki encountered may be combination fighters and magic users, with the Magic Power of 3D

GOBLIN                                                 

STR         1D                           Move:  6                                  Scale:  Human

CON        1D                           Fear:  2                                   Hit Points:  6

DEX        2D

Melee Combat                                          Armor:     Small shield             +2 / +2 / +2

INT          2D+1

Weapons:                 Mace                        STR+1D+1

Spear                       STR+2D

*  20 meter infravision.  Suffers –2 pips if take actions in full, broad daylight

MOUNTAIN GIANT                                              

STR         8D                           Move:  12                                 Scale:  Giant

Brawling                  +3D                         Fear:  24                                  Hit Points:  84

CON        5D

DEX                                        Armor:     Hides                       -- / +1 / +1

Melee Combat          +2D+1

Thrown Weapon      +3D

Brawling Parry         +1D

Specialty:  Catch missile/thrown weapon    +2D

INT          3D+2

Weapons:                 Large Club                               STR+4

RED DRAGON                                                                       

STR         10D+2                     Move:  9  Fly:  30                    Scale:  Giant

Brawling                  +4D                         Fear:  34                                 Hit Points:  119

CON        8D+1

DEX        3D

INT          6D

Magic Power:  9D

Attack:                     Up to 3 Attacks a turn, or may use breath attack every 3 rounds

Claw (up to 2 attacks a round) STR+2D

Bite                                          STR+5D

Tail                                          STR+3D+1

Fire Breath                               10D (30 meter range, 10 meter width)

*this creature is completely immune to all forms of fire

*most dragons speak many languages, including their own Dragonese, and up to 18 other languages.

Thx for sharing..

@Durran: for the v2.0

@grimshaw:  Having used only four stats seems that this has been done for MiniD6? I´ll start by using classical d6 FRPG (6 stats), but these conversions give a slight idea.

Looked at the full preview.  Looked like a carbon copy of D6 Fantasy from the few pages they show off, with different artwork.

Indeed..

..and after I bought it I first wanted to give it an minimum/bed evaluation, however the guy changed a few very minor aspects ..and what´s more important added quiet a few conversions of monsters and many pregenerated spells.. so I chnaged from 1 to 3 out of 5.

It is not a new system nor a new approach but saved me a hel lot of time, as I just wanted to start playing. My group liked it .. I do not gain money from adverstising ;-)

However, there´s always still a lot of work to do converting premade adventures :-(

By the way, I have a question concerning Body Points of monsters: Are they really calculated like PC Body Points.

I could understand that for medium huamoid creatures.. how about an ogre? Gargoyle?

i know I am the DM and could in- or decrease as I like it, however I´d like to stay as much in line as possible (to the games and the gamers advantage?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hdmD6 said:

Indeed..

..and after I bought it I first wanted to give it an minimum/bed evaluation, however the guy changed a few very minor aspects ..and what´s more important added quiet a few conversions of monsters and many pregenerated spells.. so I chnaged from 1 to 3 out of 5.

It is not a new system nor a new approach but saved me a hel lot of time, as I just wanted to start playing. My group liked it .. I do not gain money from adverstising 😉

However, there´s always still a lot of work to do converting premade adventures 😞

By the way, I have a question concerning Body Points of monsters: Are they really calculated like PC Body Points.

I could understand that for medium huamoid creatures.. how about an ogre? Gargoyle?

i know I am the DM and could in- or decrease as I like it, however I´d like to stay as much in line as possible (to the games and the gamers advantage?

Page 122 of the D6 Fantasy book talks about assigning body points to NPCs:

Body Points for generic characters likewise depend on age and toughness. For base Body Points, use these guidelines: 5 for kids and elderly individuals, 10 for ordinary innocent bystanders and most animals, 15 for minor villainous opponents, and 20 for major secondary and leading gamemaster’s characters. Add to these values any additional points as you deem appropriate.
Should you prefer the Wounds system, be sure to drop one or more levels from the bottom of the list. For example, most animals, kids, and elderly would take one Wound level (Incapacitated) before dying, while minor character and large animals might take two (Stunned and Incapacitated), and so on.

On page 141, it mentions that only armor and other defense modifiers are subtracted from damage when using the Body Point system, so that's the big spot where scale will be accounted for.  Scale will subtract from damage before being ticked off of their Body Points.

Lastly, to answer your question for how many BPs an Ogre should have, Page 127 has a few sample monsters and such.  A giant has 26 BPs and a Scale of 6, so I would imagine that an Ogre would be right around there, maybe a little smaller scale and fewer BPs.  In the D6 Fantasy Creatures book, they have a Gargoyle in there, which is suggested at slightly smaller than human sized scale (0-3), and 18 Body Points. YMMV 

Edited by Durran