D6 Online 3.0
Durran

D6 Fantasy (Dungeons & D6) Converting Monsters from D&D to D6 Fantasy

For me, I'm a little more fast and loose, the specifics on how the Goblin is able to see in the dark is not as important as the effect in game. I just called it infravision because that was 1 of the 2 ways a creature can see in the dark listed in the D6 Fantasy Core book.

You can skip this post.

I've been doing that.... what do you call it?....oh right ....thinking again.

It's the old joke about a guy walks into a bar and all the old timers are sitting around. One old timer shouts "32". They all laugh. another shouts "63". Everyone laughs a little louder.

The guy walks up to the bartender. "What's going on?"

"They've told the same jokes so many times they have them numbered."

Same for Encounters? Most gamers can name that tune in two adjectives.

I don't want to get into the Role vs Roll or the right brain - left brain debates.

That said.

Playing Risus, using Cliches, and Fudge, using Character Concept, let me step back and think about the nature of the beasts, what is the collective noun for goblins?. Without stats what do you think of when you think of goblins?

Think of it as a 'free writing' exercise.

Playing Risus, using Cliches, and Fudge, using Character Concept, let me step back and think about the nature of the beasts, what is the collective noun for goblins?. Without stats what do you think of when you think of goblins?

Think of it as a 'free writing' exercise.

I'm not sure if the above is actually meant as a question for me.

After looking at the Difficulty scale for Azamar, I felt compelled to define difficulty scale beyond the standard 31+, so I think at least for my OD6 games I'll be using something along the following lines:

Automatic: 0

Very Easy: 1-5

Easy: 6-10

Moderate: 11-15

Difficult: 16-21

Very Difficult: 22-28

Heroic: 29-36

Epic: 37-45

Legendary: 46-55

Mythical: 56-66

Godlike: 67+

Using a scale like this will hopefully compensate somewhat for the breakdown that occurs in the D6 system after characters start getting in the 9D or higher range. It also establishes some guidelines for difficulties when dealing with some of the tougher monsters that I'm sure I'll be converting at some point during this project. I'm flexible as far as the names go, and I'm not terribly happy with Godlike, but the others I'm okay with. If someone has a suggestion for a different order of the scale of greatness, please feel free to chime in.

After looking at the Difficulty scale for Azamar, I felt compelled to define difficulty scale beyond the standard 31+, so I think at least for my OD6 games I'll be using something along the following lines:

Isn't that what scaling is for?

What do those levels mean in game term?

Well, some skill difficulties that were originally put into the blanket 31+, will have some more firm numbers suggested. Also, especially when creating some of the abilities associated with some of the higher challenge monsters I'm converting, I can use some of these numbers to increase difficulties for "highly experienced" characters rather than have everything boil down to opposed rolls.

I'll see if I can come up with some example skill difficulties when I'm at my computer rather than my Kindle.

I mooched copies of both 1st Ed Monster Manuals and the Fiend Folio; you might want to convert the D20 system to D6 and leave the monsters stats alone. I don't see a graceful way around this.

I was thinking of down shifting to either Sword and Wizardry or The Big Brown Book (both OD&D). B3 does use only D6s. I'll have to dig up my copies to see how complex the monster stats are.

Thanks for digging. I have a copy of the Fiend Folio in 3.x and I'm sure I'll get around to it for my personal use at some point. I'm going to stick with the stuff available in OGL to start with. I'm reminded of the proverb about eating a whale or elephant one bite at a time. MM1 has about 320+ monsters in it already. Which is quite the project considering I complete 1-3 monsters per week. But, I don't see any problem with queuing up a hefty list to continue after I finally get this part done.

Thanks for digging.
No digging. My friend Ric has taken a strong stance in the D6/D20 debate in the Star Wars RPG community. BTW, D20 is an abomination.

I have a copy of the Fiend Folio in 3.x and I'm sure I'll get around to it for my personal use at some point.
I had one for ages, never used it. I couldn't find a 1st Ed group with the right mood/energy.

I'm going to stick with the stuff available in OGL to start with. I'm reminded of the proverb about eating a whale or elephant one bite at a time. MM1 has about 320+ monsters in it already. Which is quite the project considering I complete 1-3 monsters per week. But, I don't see any problem with queuing up a hefty list to continue after I finally get this part done.
Mostly we used goblinkin as as the mook workhorse for adventuring. IMS we used 60 - 80 different monsters all together.

I was going to run an Orc Wars campaign at one point or another with heroic large scale battles akin to Lord of the Rings levels of heroism, however, D20 is just not cinematic enough to allow for an enjoyable telling of the story. I'm hoping to rekindle that game using D6 Fantasy after this is complete.

IMS, B3 has mass combat rules. Orc civl war or orcs vs the world?

The Orc tribes unite under a new war chieftain and invade the kingdom. So players versus Orc hordes.

I'd be curious to see what the mass combat rules look like, especially if they use only D6. I seem to recall Song of Ice & Fire having some rules for running armies, so I may look into incorporating some of that.

After reading through the Mass Combat rules from The Brown Book, I'm coming to the realization that I'm probably going to have to make my own core rule book with all of the little tweaks and additions I'm planning on incorporating. So, yay! More work for me!

On a completely unrelated note, I converted over a Mind Flayer without any plans for putting in the finished publication, if it becomes a publication. However, someone on the G+ community seemed interested in what it would look like, so I gave it a go. Feedback is welcome even though this is a just for fun conversion:

Typical Mind Flayer:

This strange humanoid-shaped being stands about as tall as a human. Its flesh is rubbery and greenish-mauve, glistening with slime. The creature’s head looks rather like a four-tentacled octopus, made all the more horrible by a pair of bloated white eyes.

Agility 3D: Dodge 3D+2, Fighting 5D, Stealth 5D+2

Coordination 3D: Marksmanship: Psychic Attacks 5D

Physique 2D+2: Lifting 3D, Stamina 3D+1

Intellect 4D+1: Scholar (Any 1) 7D

Acumen 3D+2: Disguise (Acting) 4D+1, Search 5D+1, Hide 6D+1

Charisma 3D+2: Bluff 6D+1, Intimidation 5D+2, Mettle 6D+1, Persuasion 5D

Strength Damage: 2D

Move: 10; 10 flying (levitation)

Fate Points: 0-1

Character Points: 0-5

Body Points: 19

Wound Levels: 2-4

Scale: 0

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Special Abilities:

Fast Reactions: +1D to initiative rolls.

Natural Armor (Hardiness): +1D to damage resist rolls.

Natural Hand-To-Hand Weapon (Tentacles x4): Strength +1D damage, hit engages in a grapple check. Gets a +2D to grappling rolls when tentacles are attached.

Mind Drain: When a Mind Flayer makes a successful grapple attack with its Tentacles, they wrap around the targets head and it begins consuming the target’s brain. At the beginning of the Flayer’s turn while grappled, it makes an opposed grapple check against its target. For every 4 points over the opponent’s defense roll, he drains 1 pip from his target’s Intellect as he begins sucking out the target’s brain. When the target’s Intellect reaches 0, the target dies. It is up to the GM how this attribute drain should heal.

Natural Ranged Weapon (Psychic Blast): A mind flayer can create an 18m cone of powerful psychic energy that causes 6D stun damage which is resisted by a target’s mettle skill. This blast causes a visual distortion in the area and any target that is aware of the attack may attempt to dodge the blast.

Psychic Powers:

The Mind Flayer has the following natural psychic powers:

Telepathy (30m): A Mind Flayer can use his telepathy to detect the presence of any living creature within 30m by rolling a Search check versus the target’s Mettle. It can also freely communicate telepathically.

Charm Monster: A Mind Flayer can attempt to telepathically charm other creatures. The Flayer rolls Bluff versus the target’s Mettle skill to attempt to sway its view of the Mind Flayer. When used against a player character, the character must make an opposed check to attempt to harm, or allow harm to come to the Mind Flayer. If used on an NPC, the NPC becomes completely enthralled with the Mind Flayer and will do any reasonable task.

Levitate: A Mind Flayer has the ability to move objects, or itself with a form of Telekinesis by rolling its Mettle skill. If attempting to lift a person resisting, it rolls an opposed Mettle check versus the target’s Mettle or Lifting skill, whichever is higher.

Plane Shift: Some Mind Flayers possess the ability to travel between dimensions to alternate planes of reality. If the Mind Flayer makes a Heroic (29) Mettle check, the Mind Flayer transports up to 600kg of matter within a 5m radius to that target dimension. Knowledge of the dimension takes a Scholar check of at least 20.

Suggestion: A Mind Flayer can make a Persuasion check versus a target’s Mettle skill. If the Mind Flayer beats out the target, he implants a simple suggestion that the target feels compelled to do at its earliest chance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I opted to rework the "Mind Flayer succeeds at grapple check, you die" mechanic for something I feel is a little more menacing. With this mechanic, the Mind Flayer has to beat out the target's grapple by 24 to instantly kill a target with 2D knowledge. The template was based on the Life Drain special ability from D6 Fantasy Core rules (pg. 35). While most of the other abilities are based on Spells from the D6 Magic book.

I've been a little out of my groove with the project lately: a move, dealing with my munchkin dictator who won't sleep except when it's the least convenient, getting the new house set up before my wife starts in on the heavy scholastic lifting, and finally being asked to help out on a couple of projects for the Star Wars medical source book on the rancorpit forums as well as some statting work for someone making a home brew, possibly published Fantasy setting who has opted to use the D6 system. Right now I'm almost done with the Astral Deva stats, and will be picking it up as soon as I finish the last 11 races for the Fantasy setting. So, I'm distracted, but have not abandoned the project yet.

Hard to believe that it's taken 4 years to come back to this forum.  I lost the e-mail that was sent with the new link to the forum and it was only through a cruel and ultimately funny twist of fate that I found my way here again.

I'm not sure if anyone is still here checking the boards, but I may just post some more of my musings in this topic.  Progress over the last 4 years has been pretty non-existent.  I've had to re-evaluate my hierarchy of priorities, and my D&D6 project has been put on the far back burner along with most of my hobbies.  My daughter, wife, and work have been pushed to the forefront, and it doesn't leave me a lot of time, and little energy for creation.  But, I haven't given up on my ideas yet.

Instead of going through the Monster Manual alphabetically like I was originally, I shifted gears and started converting monsters by their 3.x challenge rating, which made things significantly easier.  I haven't quite made it to CR1 yet, but have made rules for all kinds of monstrous vermin! I figured that most GMs would be starting their beginning characters with weaker creatures anyway, and as such this approach would be more useful for play-testing.

A friend of mine who I was working on a fantasy setting with has decided to abandon the project and left the rights (and work) to me while he explores other ideas.  So, with my numerous projects already, I'm adding on completing a bare-bones setting to throw players in, and will use some, if not most of the monsters I'll be converting to "populate" the world. 

Anyone who reads, thanks for taking the time to look in.

Glad to see I'm not alone here.  Thanks for popping in!

I've just found that sometimes it's easier to get more constructive feedback in a forums setting rather than over on G+ or someplace else.  I've got a hectic next few weeks ahead of me, but I'll try to post a couple of the conversions that I've cooked up so far: monstrous insects and the like!

Yeah, there are a couple of us who still look into this place every so often.  Here's hoping things work out and your inventive juices get flowing again!

Here are the few Mook Monsters that I've converted.  I went to look at my other creatures by challenge rating and found I'd only done Bats and Toads. 🤣

Typical Kobold:

This humanoid is about the size of a gnome or halfling. It has a scaly hide, a naked tail like that of a rat, and a doglike head with two small horns.

Agility 3D: Dodge 3D, Fighting 3D+1, Melee Combat 3D+1, Stealth 4D,

Coordination 3D: Marksmanship 3D+1

Physique 2D+1: Stamina 3D

Intellect 2D+1:

Acumen 2D: Crafting (Traps) 2D+2, Hide 3D, Search 2D+2 (+3), Know-How (Mining): 2D+2

Charisma 1D+2: Mettle 1D+2

Strength Damage: 1D

Move: 10

Fate Points: 0

Character Points: 0-2

Body Points:

Wound Levels: 1-2

Scale: -3

Disadvantages:

Light Sensitivity: Kobolds roll a -1 to all skill checks while in the present of bright sunlight (including magical).

Special Abilities:

Natural Armor (Scales): +1 to damage resistance totals because of scaled skin.

Infravision: Kobolds can see in the dark without penalties.

Awareness: Kobolds get a +3 bonus to search checks because of their cautious nature.

Typical Orc:

This creature looks like a primitive human with gray skin and coarse hair. It has a stooped posture, low forehead, and a piglike face with prominent lower canines that resemble a boar’s tusks.

Agility 2D+1: Fighting 4D, Melee Combat 4D, Dodge 2D+2

Coordination 2D+1: Marksmanship 3D

Physique 3D+1: Lifting 5D, Stamina 4D

Intellect 1D+2:

Acumen 1D+2: Search 2D (+3)

Charisma 1D+1: Mettle 1D+2

Strength Damage: 3D

Character Points: 0-2

Body Points:

Wound Levels: 1-3

Disadvantages:

Light Sensitivity: Orcs are sensitive to sunlight, as such they suffer a -1 to all skill checks in bright sunlight (including magical).  Some Orcs are hardened surface raiders and are no longer affected at GM’s discretion.

Special Abilities:

Infravision: Orcs suffer no penalties in darkness.

Alertness: Orcs get a +3 to search checks because of their warrior nature.

Typical Skelton:

This creature appears to be nothing but a set of animated bones. Pinpoints of red light smolder in its empty eye sockets.

Agility 3D: Dodge 3D+1, Fighting 3D+2, Melee Combat 3D+2

Coordination 3D: Marksmanship 3D+1

Physique 3D: Lifting 3D+1

Intellect -:

Acumen 2D+1: Search 2D+1

Charisma 1D: Mettle 1D+2

Character Points: 0

Body Points:

Wound Levels: 1-2

Disadvantages:

Mindless: Skeletons are mindless undead, they will follow simple commands issued by whoever created them, but will do little else.  They will attack anyone who their master has declared an ally.

Unable to heal:  Skeletons do not heal naturally, and as such will not recover wound levels.

Special Abilities:

Fast Reactions:  Skeletons do not hesitate in combat, and get a +1D to initiative checks.

Infravision:  Skeletons can see in the dark without penalty.

Natural Armor: Skeletons get a +1D to resist all non-bludgeoning damage, or +2D to resist fire and cold elemental damage.

Immunities:  Skeletons are dead, so they do not need to make stamina checks, and are immune to poisons and disease.  They are immune to all natural temperature extremes.  They are also immune to most illusions and compulsion magic.  Skeletons also do not suffer penalties from wound levels, unless the wound affects the skeleton in some way such as cutting off an arm or leg.

Typical Zombie:

[No Canned Description, you’ll have to come up with your own!]

Agility 1D+2: Fighting 3D

Coordination 1D+2:

Physique 2D+2: Lifting 3D

Intellect -:

Acumen 2D+1:

Charisma 1D: Mettle 2D

Move: 10 (Per action see below)

Character Points: 0

Body Points:

Wound Levels: 2-3

Disadvantages:

Mindless: Zombies are mindless undead, they will follow simple commands issued by whoever created them, but will do little else.  They will attack anyone who their master has declared an ally.

Easily Confused:  If their master isn’t available to command them, someone can attempt to confuse or give the zombie a command.  The person attempting to confuse or command a zombie must make a bluff or command roll at or above double the zombie’s mettle check.  If successful, the zombie will do the command if it’s simple enough, or will act confused for 1D rounds.

Unable to heal:  Zombies do not heal wounds levels naturally.

Clumsy & Stupid:  Zombies can do a maximum of 2 actions in a round, they can move up to twice their move, move once and attack, or attack twice. Zombies will not try to defend themselves.

Special Abilities:

Immunities: Zombies are dead, so they do not need to make stamina checks, and are immune to poisons and disease.  They are immune to all natural temperature extremes.  They are also immune to most illusions and compulsion magic.  Zombies also do not suffer penalties from wound levels, unless the wound affects the skeleton in some way such as cutting off an arm or leg.

Infravision: Zombies can see in the dark without penalty.

Natural Armor: Zombies are tough to kill and get +1D to damage resistance rolls from non-bladed weapons.  This natural toughness is bypassed by a called shot to the head.

Natural Weapons: Zombie bite attacks do Strength +1D+1 and can bite in a grapple.