D6 Online 3.0

Teleport & Extended Range

Can someone explain to me how Extended Range works?

I want to create a character with a teleportation ability but the standard 10m/ Rank is way too low for what I'm trying to acomplish (just watched the movie Jumper :D); I'd like the character to be able to teleport at least 5000Km. I'm not quite sure how to get there with the way the system currently works though without extremly bending it, which is easily enough a possibility but, aside from that, I just don't understand the math the way it currently works.

If I add a single rank of Extended Range to 1 rank of Teleport, Teleport will still just be 10m, right?

So I just spent an extra 3CP for nothing at all. It's not until I add two ranks of Extended Range that it'll jump up to 20m, this would cost 9CP (3 for Teleport and 6 for Extended Range). For 9 points though, I could just get Teleport R3 and go 30m. Now, I think it'd be a benefit later on down the line when, lets say you have Tele R4 and Ext.Range R4; that'd be a range of {(4*4)10} 160m for 24CP as apposed to spending 24CP just on Tele, which would give you a range of 80m. This is if, of course, I'm understanding the way it currently works but...

I don't think I'm understanding something about the way Extended Range works; could you guys help me out?

Thanks!

Shew, man, didn't mean to stump you guys that bad! :D

The factor used to determine the range of the character’s Special Ability is increased. Every rank of this Enhancement allows the player to add one half of the ranks in the Special Ability (rounded up) to the factor when determining the range. Thus, to increase the range factor by half the ranks costs three, by the ranks in the ability costs six, by 1.5 times the ranks costs eight, and so on.

Example: The range for Natural Ranged Weapon is 20 times the number of ranks in the Special Ability times the character’s Physique or lifting in meters. With two ranks of Extended range, the range would now be 20 times twice the number of ranks in the Special Ability times the character’s Physique or lifting.

Is there a typo here? I think it should be 9 points to raise it by 1.5, not 8.

T = Teleport Rank

E = Extended Range Rank (T/2, round up)

(T+E)10=Range

T=1, E=1 (.5), 6 CP, Range 15

(1+.5)10=15

T=1, E=2, 9CP, Range 20

(1+1)10=20

T=2, E=2, 12CP, Range

(2+1)10=30

It doesn't seem quite worth it here until you get a few ranks in each, then you start seeing a major difference. Or, is my math all kinds of jacked up? I don't mind being wrong so, if someone could double check that for me, that'd be awesome! :D

Well it generally helps if you note the book and page number for the items you are referencing, anyway. Each factor of extended range costs 3 points and raises the range by .5. So for Teleport 4 (12points) Extended Range 1 (3 points) the Range is as if you had Teleport 6 so 60m. With Extended Range 2 (6 points) your range would be as if you had Teleport 8 so 80m. With Extended Range 3 (9 points) your range would be as if you had Teleport 10 so 100m. With Extended Range 4 (12 points) your range would be as if you had Teleport 12 so 120m.

So your third example is incorrect. The range should be 40m. Hope that helps.

T = Teleport Rank

E = Extended Range Rank (T/2, round up)

(T+E)10=Range

T=1, E=1, 6 CP, Range 15

(1+.5)10=15

T=1, E=2, 9CP, Range 20

(1+1)10=20

T=2, E=2, 12CP, Range

(2+1)10=30

It doesn't seem quite worth it here until you get a few ranks in each, then you start seeing a major difference. Or, is my math all kinds of jacked up? I don't mind being wrong so, if someone could double check that for me, that'd be awesome! :D

T = Teleport Rank

E = Extended Range Rank

(T+[(E/2)*T])*10m=Total Range

T=1, E=1, 6 CP, Range 15m

(1+[(1/2)*1])*10m=15m

T=1, E=2, 9CP, Range 20m

(1+[(2/2)*1])*10=20m

T=2, E=2, 12CP, Range 40m

(2+[(2/2)*2])*10=40m

Hope that helps.

Have you considered using the natural spell special ability, then just design a long distance teleportation spell that the character rolls to make?

Page 37: Natural Magick (1)

The character can use a magic spell as a natural ability. An example of this would be a character who can dispel magic by his nature, rather than through the use of a countermagic spell. The cost of the ability

— and the number of ranks the character has in it — equals the difficulty of the spell. (See the “Magic” chapter for details on creating spells; the “Precalculated Spells” chapter has some sample spells.) The

chosen spell may not be charged (that is, have a fixed limit to the number of times it can be cast).

The character must adhere to the requirements of the spell, including its gestures, incantations, components, and so on. The casting of the spell is automatic (there is no need to roll a Magic skill to perform it), but the character does need to attempt any targeting skill or skill required by the casting (such as one needed to perform a gesture). If any of these fail, the spell does not work.

The player and the gamemaster need to discuss what spell the character will have, and what the range, duration, and so on will be.

It’s suggested that some limitations be placed on the use of this ability to maintain game balance — for instance, a character who can toss fireballs as a natural ability might have to recharge for a certain number

of rounds between doing so.

A character may have this Special Ability once each for different spells.