D6 Online 3.0

Armor Degradation Rules: Help

Are you talking about armor that gets progressively worse the more damage that goes through it?

The simplest thing I ever did for this was for any damage vs. resistance roll that resulted in a 0 or above (in favor of the damage...resulting in a Stun or greater) reduced the armor value by 1 pip.

So if the armor provided +2D, after the first damage that the armor didn't completely absorb, the armor would be degraded to +1D+2. The next hit that affected it would reduce it to 1D+1.

This made the lighter armor significantly less effective compared to the heavier armor. While light armor didn't provide any hindrance for wearing, it might only give +2 or +1D worth of protection. And once into combat, when you take just two or three damaging hits, suddenly your light armor isn't providing ANY protection! The heavier armor might be more expensive, provide some hindrance, but it'll continue to provide modest protection even after taking a few hits.

It also provides for finding used armor that isn't quite as effective as new armor. So just because a person is wearing chain mail doesn't mean it's the same effectiveness as another person with chain mail. Also allows for use of magical items that have reduced degradation (only damage that penetrates the armor by greater than 10 points degrade the armor by 1 pip, for example).

Hope that helps.

Are you talking about armor that gets progressively worse the more damage that goes through it?

The simplest thing I ever did for this was for any damage vs. resistance roll that resulted in a 0 or above (in favor of the damage...resulting in a Stun or greater) reduced the armor value by 1 pip.

So if the armor provided +2D, after the first damage that the armor didn't completely absorb, the armor would be degraded to +1D+2. The next hit that affected it would reduce it to 1D+1.

This made the lighter armor significantly less effective compared to the heavier armor. While light armor didn't provide any hindrance for wearing, it might only give +2 or +1D worth of protection. And once into combat, when you take just two or three damaging hits, suddenly your light armor isn't providing ANY protection! The heavier armor might be more expensive, provide some hindrance, but it'll continue to provide modest protection even after taking a few hits.

It also provides for finding used armor that isn't quite as effective as new armor. So just because a person is wearing chain mail doesn't mean it's the same effectiveness as another person with chain mail. Also allows for use of magical items that have reduced degradation (only damage that penetrates the armor by greater than 10 points degrade the armor by 1 pip, for example).

Hope that helps.

that helps a lot I was thinking a long similar lines. I want to gradually wear their armor down.

I've only explored breaking items a few times but, I did read on page 113 of D6 Adventure it talks about using the Demolitions skill (page 75) to get a bit of a basis when it comes to damaging items which, I imagine, would include armour.

Hard Leather Armour (AV +1D+1)

Probably counts as 'flimsy' on the Object Construction chart giving it an added toughness of +1D (Maybe super flimsy at +2, instead of +1D?)

So, with the technique Grimace mentioned, maybe after the damage roll exceeds the armour roll and damage is taken, roll another die (for flimsy) and see if the armour takes damage. This way the armour isn't SO easily destroyed (according to Demolitions, this happens when an object takes 13 points of damage).

May be too much work to bother with but, just throwing it out there.