D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Omegawolf79

New campaign and using miniatures...

So I've recently reacquired the d6 Star Wars 2nd edition revised book and I'm going to be starting a campaign here soon. At one point I ran the d20 version and had bought a ton of miniatures (I still buy them from time to time as I collect anything and everything Star Wars), and I would like to get some use out of them even though I have switched systems. The book only slightly covers using miniatures, stating that 1 inch = 2 meters, so a 1 inch square on my mat would be 2 meters. Otherwise there are no rules governing miniatures at all.

Now I have no problems running it rules-lite and just using miniatures to show locations for ranges, blast areas, cover, and the like, but has anyone ever come up with more in depth tactical rules? I know a lot of people come up with all kinds of house rules and share them online, so I was wondering if anything like that was out there that covered things like facing, what happens if you tried to move around someone, that sort of thing. I have seen the miniatures book, but it seems to cover squad based combat ala Warhammer, so not exactly what I am looking for.

Also, are the character points that players spend to increase die rolls during a game the same as the character points they get to improve their characters? Or are those two separate things that are just named similarly?

Hey, Omegawolf79. Welcome to D6 gaming, and welcome to the forums.

I've played both the d20 and D6 incarnations, and use minis pretty regularly in my games. Usually it's just there to show relative position, some ranges, and generally add clarity. Rather than using a grid map, I use a white board so I can draw the features of the adventure, and we generally estimate ranges (or they're determined by GM fiat). As the game already has blast ranges, cover, and the like people just use the minis to loosely represent those features. But you're right. The Revised & Expanded book does not have tactical minis features.

They do have a Star Wars Miniatures book, but that's more mass combat than it is tactical use of the minis in an RPG. The D6 books were very light and cinematic play, where later systems (such as the SAGA Edition) where very highly tactical. (Both of which games I enjoy, but for very different reasons.)

Character points are the same that you spend for boosting rolls and for improving characters. It becomes a greater decision whether or not you're going to spend them if you know that you're depending on them to bump your character at the end of the session.

If you're interested in more Star Wars D6 resources there is another board with a bit more traffic:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums but the registration can be kind of a bear. (Make a post here if you can't get in there, and I can talk to the admin.)

And there's a pretty good podcast out there on the game:

http://atthetablegames.com/shootingwomprats/

Awesome! Thanks for the links, as well as the rules clarifications. I will definitely check the links out and get registered at the Rancor Pit as well. As for the miniatures issue, I've decided to just run it rules-lite and have fun with it.