D6 Online 3.0
danbuter

Bushi d6

Interesting idea! If you have an interesting enough setting, you could probably entice a number of people with this, as there's a collection of people that lap up the feudal Japan settings like water.

I actually had a player character in my fantasy campaign that was a samurai. I researched all of the armor pieces and various other things. There are actually several more parts of the samurai armor than the 6 pieces you list. But if you're just listing them for general description, what you listed is probably fine.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of setting you're going to have for this idea. The intro part I read is rather generic, but it has potential depending on how you develop it.

Not sure how much I'm going to develop the setting. I'm more of an OSR type guy, so a mostly empty map with encounters fits me better than a highly detailed setting (L5R already has that covered, in any case). Regarding the armor, I just pointed out the most obvious pieces, more for fun details than anything else.

That's very cool,

I've been wanting to run a Mini Six Kurosawa/Tales of the Otori style campaign for ages. I can never capture the interest of enough players though. I've run a short campaign using Runequest and their out of print Nippon supplement.

Although it looks very cool, I just can't get into Rokugan. They've mixed up Japanese, Chinese and other Asian influences, and to me they are all seperate and wonderful cultures and mythoses to explore. I'd run a Five Kingdoms Campaign with totally different themes and ideas than a Samurai saga, so combining them never made any sense to me. I've been wanting to put together a Daisho supplement for Mini Six too, once Mighty Six and WilD6West are in full gear. I'll be waiting with baited breath to see what else you come up with.

Here's the first draft: http://home.comcast.net/~danbuter/BushiD6.docx. It's a docx file, so anyone who is interested can make changes to suit their personal game.

The setting map is here: http://home.comcast.net/~danbuter/HonzuMap.pdf

I'd love feedback, especially for any noticeable rules problems. I may expand the setting in the future, but I think the rules are basically done. Please let me know what you think!

Reading through it now...

First couple things I'm seeing is that you might consider rewording some of the perks/complications.

For example: White Wizard. While it has one meaning in some cultures, in the culture of the Bushi, white typically was evil, not good.

It was a little odd to have all of the weapons listed, then the sundry equipment listed, THEN finally have the descriptions of the weapons. You might want to think about putting the weapon descriptions immediately after the weapon cost/effect chart. That way when people are wondering what a certain item is (if it's not listed in parenthesis) they don't have to go 3 more pages before they find out what that item is.

I noticed one small spelling error so far. In the area for "Hero Points" under the Buy A Clue option, you have "Sometimes players are at a lost..." It should be "at a loss".

I've only got part way through it so far, but when I finish I'll post more feedback.

Stuff to be done:

Fix a couple typos.

Dragons won't breath fire. Might buff them even more.

Yokai will be able to assume material form, but will become vulnerable if they do.

Either rename white wizard or just delete it. I'm not sure it really fits with old Japan. Maybe it does.

Maybe change Totem Animal to Shinigami (and tweak it a bit), instead of having Shinigami as a spell.

Give a synopsis of Bushido.

Make a disadvantage of Peasant.

In Samurai Roles, give a brief synopsis of the duties and powers of a samurai, especially with regard to social standing.

Add in some encouter tables.

More info on each city and Family.

I've been reading over some more of your material. As much as my cold allows for me to actually function.

I like the way you handled the martial arts. Simple.

Nice list of spells.

One thought, you might change the name of the Dark Grimoire spell "Cobra's Breath" to something more fitting. Perhaps something like "Mamushi Breath", since that is a primary poisonous snake in the area.

If you take away the breathe attack of the Dragon, I would suggest adding some specific magic to the dragon. Limited but powerful. There would have to be a reason the dragons weren't hunted and in some cases were revered. Perhaps a specialized perk for particular dragons which give them the ability to foretell the future, or see the future of certain people, or something like that.

Beyond that, and considering I'm now in a foggy state due to cold, the rest looked pretty good. One or two spelling errors, but nothing so grossly incorrect as to ruin it.

I like your proposals for changes, though be careful with the dragon. Some were quite weak and more ornamental, but others were great, wise, and old and there was likely a reason they got to be old.

Definitely,

I'd buy it. Make it and post it, what have you got to lose but time? And you're already spending time thinking about it and writing it anyway so you may as well go for broke.

Sharing it with the D6Online crowd is awesome, but by making it available to a larger gaming market you'll be helping to bring D6 to a higher profile. On this forum you're preaching to th choir, sell it on DTRPG and you're reaching far more people.

That's how I rationalize it, this stuff would be occupying my thoughts anyway, so why not give it some real form, and maybe even make a few bucks. It's time spent writing, illustrating, planning layout, marketing and just shooting the S#!t with a few buddies. To me, that's not time wasted, it's time well spent.

I don't know if you're artistic at all, but if illustration is an issue, I think there's a lot of art from that time period that would b considered "public domain".

The second draft is available here: http://home.comcast.net/~danbuter/BushiD6.docx. Also there is a slightly updated map here: http://home.comcast.net/~danbuter/BushiMap.png.

Please let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions.

For final, I want to add in some encounter tables and probably some more perks.

Not sure if I can do a final print any justice, as I really can't afford art.

This is really great!

Would you be upset if I downloaded it and played it with my group? I don't know if you plan on selling it or if you're giving it away.

I've been working more on Bushi D6. Just adding some stuff that I missed (like how the heck did I not include the yakuza at all?). I'm also adding some more NPCs and monsters, as well as more perks and complications. I've also added in a few more magic items (I really, really need to expand this section). I figure I'll be posting an update in a few more days, once I've got enough new stuff to make it worthwhile.

I think I need to change my forum template or something, because I couldn't read the difference in font color for your link built into your post. Apologies.