D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
D6steve

Rules systems

I've used D6 (Star Wars, Ghostbusters - which was a simplified version, and the more recent D6 Adventure/Fantasy (not Space though)), TORG, and Masterbook. I currently run TORG, a Fantasy setting of my own design, and a super heroes game using Masterbook (and Kansas Jim's TORG/MB conversion rules). I've also used the system to run Star Wars and Star Trek.

D6 is fine for a quick pickup game, or even a short campaign. But characters get very powerful very quickly. Generic badguys - gangsters, stormtroopers, orcs, etc. are soon so impotent as to be mowed down by the dozens while the players feel no sense of danger whatsoever. To be fair, this happens with many systems - TORG and MB included. But it seems to happen a lot faster in D6.

Masterbook, as written was to weak to start. Players were little better than Average NPC. Jim's granting them an extra seven attribute points makes them as heroic as they were in TORG. But splitting DEX into two attributes has cut into some of the min/maxing. The use of the increased cost for Difficult skills also helps with slowing progress - while still letting players see some progression nearly every session. Also, 2D10 seems to produce lower bonus numbers than 1D20.

And the cards are a little less generous in some areas, but better in others. Action (+3 to anything) has been replaced with Action (+1 to anything) and Effect (+2 to effect value), but Rally now grants an extra card, instead of dumping all your cards for a new selection.

I also make extensive use of the Shatterzone style racial packages for things like Ninjas, Amazons, Elves, Vulcans, and Twi'leks. This helps to codify exactly what they get, and confers an (theoretically) equal penalty. I also use the SZ point values rather than the MB columns for advantages/disadvantages, set a limit at ten, and any packages are taken out of that ten.

For example Wookiees start out at ten points just for being a wookiee. Nothing left over for wealth, good luck, a ship or being a Jedi. A Tharkoldu costs well over ten points, and is classified as NPC only. Better play balance.

So consensus is I should stick to the TORG rules.

thanks guys.

I'd say TORG with tweaks. The basic rules have quite a few holes in them that the TORG community has spent 20+ years patching up.

For my part I go with 8 Attributes ala Masterbook but allow 75 Attribute points for people to build characters. I also allow defenders to apply the lowest of either avoidance (the score to avoid being hit) or natural RPs to deal with the Glass-jawed ninja effect.

Example: Harry the Race-Warrior lashes out at Steve the Ninja with his Plasma-sword (Str+8). Steve has a Martial Arts active defense of 19. Harry, with a Str of 10 and a Melee Weapons of 14 rolls a 19 to generate a +6 for a MW total of 20. Instead of applying +6 to the damage, Harry applies +2 because that's how many result points he got. So, Steve applies a damage of 19 against his Tou of 9 instead of 24. It hurts but doesn't instantly mortally wound.

Example: After eventually chopping Steve into sushi, Harry runs into George the troll. George has a MW total of 10, but a TOU+armor of 19. Harry pulls his P-sword and rolls a 13 for a +1 bonus. In this case, that's all he applies to the roll, which means Harry does a damage of 19 and George takes only 1 Shock point from the "bright hurty thing." Harry hopes he can avoid the return blow and considers trying for a Vital Blow next round.

I'd be shocked if anyone didn't use the Margin of Success rather than using the die bonus for both the skill value and damage.

I apply margin of success if that produces the lower damage. Otherwise I apply the die bonus.

I'd be shocked if anyone didn't use the Margin of Success rather than using the die bonus for both the skill value and damage.

Margin of success doesn't allow for a negative damage bonus which IMO eliminates the idea of glancing blows and scratches in combat, the low end of the damage chart never gets used unless everyone's attacking with base damage values that are within a few points of the resistance values of their opponents (so basically punches, or everyone's got high TOU or is wearing decent armor.)

I've been brewing my own little action-movie rules set, which isn't Torg but borrows a lot of ideas from it. When I get my "Storm Knights" campaign off the ground, this is what I'll be using.

I want to get some feedback from true-blue Torg fans, so I'll be posting bits and pieces, starting after New Years. Any comments or ideas people have would be welcome.