D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Green Dragon

Looking for an old Star Wars D6 magazine article

Many years ago, about 20, I read an article in a game magazine. It discussed how to run a game set in the generation prior to the three movies - but was predicated on the Clone Wars/Dark Times as they existed prior to Lucas writing the prequels.

I am trying to find the article. I thought it was in Dragon, but there were only two articles for Star Wars in the Dragon index, one on Force Powers in #157, and one on a dragon themed ship (guessing it was Hapan) as part of the "Dragon Project" in #200.

Can anyone help me identify the source of the article? Please and thank you.

Thanks.

I know I read it early to mid 90s, it is possible it was in White Wolf magazine. I've read Shadis and White Dwarf on occasion, so it is possible it is one of those.

Might it have been published in Gateways Magazine by GPI? They had some D6 Star Wars stuff early on. Sadly, my collection of them is long gone.

Well, the bad news is that nobody else has come forward with any ideas or knowledge about the particular article you're referring to. So, sadly, no help could be found.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

I'll re-post the request on the Rancor Pit, but it's kind of a mix of new additions and long-time RPG enthusiasts. My guess is that if either Whill or Grimace don't remember it, then your chances of finding it are slim.

I know that Topps was running a Star Wars Galaxy magazine, and they sometimes had RPG snippets in there. Though I don't think they had anything of that nature in there. Though if I can find my index of those articles I'll look through it.

I got this back:

SHADIS magazine #18 or #19 I think had an article called:

The Spark Before The Flame - Role-playing in the time before Star Wars: A New Hope

Sounds like what they're after?

Some links on the issue/article:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Spark_Before_the_Flame

http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=5938

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p248253.html

Quote discussing it:

It was Shadis #18.5, not an adventure so much as "seeds" for a pre-new hope adventure rescuing Mon Monthma just after Palpatine declared himself Emperor.

That could be the one I seek. Around the right time frame, though the cover doesn't ring any bells. Have you read it? I recall the article referring to Palpatine and his assets, comparing them to Nazi Germany. Specifically, it refers to a pre-cursor to the Stormtroopers, dubbed "Brownshirts" to emphasize they played the same role as the historical ones. They supported Palpatine, and when they were no longer useful, he disposed of them, and got better soldiers.

If the article mentions this, it is definitely the one I want. Even if it doesn't, it is probably going to be useful enough to make that last link worth it for me. Thank you very much.