D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

Can someone give me some background on The World of Aden

I thought I had already done that in another thread, but I can't find it, maybe it was only a small comment.

Aden is a renaissance-like setting with some weird science that could be described as steampunk (steampowered magical cyberware called golemoid implants, a few giant power armors and a giant fortified train) and bloodshadows-like magic. It comes dual-statted for Masterbook and D6 (though some D6 stats were forgotten).

The world of Aden is just recovering from an invasion of the so-called Nocturnals. Where they came from and why is not stated in the sourcebook (but maybe it is explained in the computer game which I don't have). But it is obvious they are still there and in a variety of forms. The sourcebook comes with a very detailed map, extensive descriptions of the nations and a brief description of the races.

The races are: dwarves (divided into subspecies as ice-dwarves, desert dwarves and there are the very traditional deep dwarves that never come to the surface), elves (with many subspecies as iceelves, sandelves), faerkin (similar to the windling in earthdawn), ferrans (any combination of crossbread between animal and intelligent races), goreaux (dwarf-sized tinkerers that look like old grumpled fairies), humans, juraks (similar to trolls in earthdawn) and rapacians (lizard-men) as player characters. Also there are nagas, Slurgithians (aquatic people) and different wandering human tribes (the Sludj in the dangerous jungle on the southern tip of the Wall or the snowmads in the ice wastes as examples).

The continent of Arden is divided into 3 parts. The division between the first, the western and the second part in the middle is the Wall, a mountain ridge that stretches from Arasteen in the north to Kyan in the south. The middle part of Aden is dominated by the sundered desert with cold swamps in the south. The next geographical division is created by the Meander river and the seeping river that meet in the Great Moss Lake. The eastern part of Aden consists of High Steppes in the north, a mountainous region in the south and the rich farmlands of Carraway in the middle.

I will try on a short overview of the nations in the next post

The nations of Aden:

In the first section, to the west of The Wall there is

Urbana: the powerhouse of the continent. Lord Urbane's military dictatorship controls the nation-to-nation trade with his heavily armed thunder train (a detailed description of this train can be found in the campaign cronicles, a 94-page supplement which could also be of good use for other games) and is the main producer of steel and manite (an ore that can store spells)

Arasteen: Urbana's greatest rival. A land of woods and bowmen, famed for their heavy crystal bows and one of the big food producers.

Kyan: A jungle nation with lots of different giant insects. The soldiers of Crichton the only notable city and its client villages ride on giant wasps or giant termites.

Not to forget the city-state of Ionara located on an icy island in the north with its famed fleet and sturdy ice elves. Queen Kryanix is a tyrant ruler who relies on her fleet, magic and machiavelistic politics to ensure the safety of her people.

The Wall itself is home to Burcham's Brigands who control the only pass and have amassed enough fortune to become a military might in itself. They even have two of those giant power armors.

Somewhere in The Wall are hives of Ilithix, Insect-like creatures that are able to adapt abilities of their food. There is also a colony of free-thinkers in the Wall, New ColumBey, who fled from Urbana's harsh rule. They have developed gliders akin to kites.

In the middle part the Desert is ruled by the Rhanate or Dust King, a desert raider who claims governance over all tribes due to his military might but many nomads reject his claim, especially in the Veldt a region in the northeast. The desert raiders called outriders who ride on lizards are famous for taking what they need but never committing murder. This is seen as "taking coup", meaning the strong prove to be strong by sparing their defeated opponents.

On the southern edge of the Desert are the Mud Plains and Skar, a giant gorge inhabited by different clans that refuse to ally with anyone. The south coast of the middle part is farmer- and trader- nation called Yzeem. It is ruled by the council of the Seven whose identity is hidden and they are veiled in order to avoid bribery. Their scourge are the pirate kings who are hooked deep into the society and the nomadic bandit tribes. On the south-east of the middle part is the trading city of Ballaquin.

The eastern part of Aden features the High Steppes in the North populated by barbarian tribe, divided into the domains of three Kazans. They rule in their respective capitals and then there are only small villages defended by mercenaries and raided by boisterous bandits (who are accompanied by their own bards). There are also the Sanguine Monks in the High Steppes who practice the art of getting into a state of red haze and turning themselves into crazy killing machines. The High Steppes have been cordoned off with a wall in ancient times.

South of this wall, right in the middle of the eastern part of Aden down to the Great Moss Lake lies Carraway. This is something unique for a fantasy setting, a benevolent theocracy. There is not much religion in this game, so Carraway stands out. The people of Carraway worship specialized saints. OK, the arbiters, the military arm of the theocracy tend to be a bit overzealous in fighting the nocturnals. So we still can have the ruthless theocracy that is a staple of fantasy. To the east of Carraway, there are the Forsaken Lands, a part of Carraway painfully conceded to the Nocturnals.

South of the Forsaken Lands and the Great Moss Lake lies Aramyst. Formerly the most enlightened nation of Aden, now a land of refugees. The Burning Coast (literally, it is still burning) is a monument to the Darkfall, the former capitol of Reggora, now populated by Nocturnals.

Vanora: Located to the South-west of Aramyst. A rich farmland reigned by an emperor. The culture is centered around 10 beasts which reflect basic virtues. And there are also shamans of these beasts.

I think you may have discribed it a little in the thread where you asked me to set up the forum.

I appreciate the information. I am going to read it over and if I have any questions I will know who to ask.

World of Aden: Thunderscape Intro:

Thunderscape Outro:

World of Aden Soundtrack:

-Havard

Edited by Havard

The World of Aden/Thunderscape Setting was recently converted to the Pathfinder System. Even if you are not a fan of that system, the book is pretty good looking and well organized, compiling detailed information on the entire world of Aden. More details here.

-Havard