D6 Online 3.0
fantomx11

Defiance D6

fantomx11    10

I've been working over the weekend on a little project to convert the TV Show Defiance to a D6 campaign setting. I haven't got much actual conversion done (mostly I've just copied their wiki so far and am ready to start converting it), but I thought I'd let you guys look at it now because I'd like to get some opinions on the changes to the rules I've made.

You can find it at http://www.fantomx11.com/defianced6/

The rules can be seen at:

Dice Basics

Doing Stuff

How To Make A Character

The Game Mechanics

Grimace    14

Well, hopefully some D6 Legend fans will take a look. I don't use the Legends system, and I'm a bit less of a fan of pass/fail dice.

It seems you're borrowing from a variety of game systems. Tags instead of skills reminds me of Risus in a way.

Not my cup of tea, but I wish you luck in going forward with this.

fantomx11    10

Hmm. I hadn't thought of Risus. It actually came to me while reading Marvel Heroic Roleplay where you choose a die to add to the pool from each section on the character sheet. Since there is no step-die system in D6, I had to adapt it. That's also where the add a penalty die and gain a Character Point came from.

Lee Torres    10

I like it - I can see where a lot of the influences came from, and I think they'll work well together. Only question I had at the read-through is how does the Wild Die work in this? I didn't see any specifics. Is it 6 = roll again (my assumption since the difficulty chart goes through 10 and the attributes give a maximum of 3D - not sure how many dice the Tags can provide), or the Wild Die succeeds on a 2-6 instead of 3-6, or what exactly?

I'm looking forward to reading more about the Tags. Good work so far - keep it coming, please!

fantomx11    10

Thanks

Oops, I took the Wild Die section out by accident. The Wild Die is reroll as long as you roll sixes. Tags can add a die for each Category which means a maximum of 8 dice in a pool without spending Character or Hero Points. The idea I had was that the number of Tags control the competency of the characters and Categories control the power level of the campaign.

threshold    10

This looks really great,

I've not played the Legend system but you explain it really well. I've also never seen Defiance (I know I know...) but now I just might have to.

fantomx11    10

Thanks. I'm still working on the look. I had some fancy styling for the articles that I took out until I can code it to adapt to different screen widths.

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the description. It is from the D6 Legend book except I removed the Critical Failure/Critical Success of the Wild Die. I've been watching Defiance on hulu, since I don't have SyFy, but I believe they stream it on the official website if you don't have hulu or SyFy. The game itself is partially an experiment to see if a Tiddlywiki provides a good platform for presenting RPG rules.

Ur Athal    10

I like it. It is interesting to see another take on the d6 Legend system, particularly since I am working up a variant myself.

fantomx11    10
I had some fancy styling for the articles that I took out until I can code it to adapt to different screen widths.

Which I have now done.

Lee Torres    10

Quick question about attributes - looking at your Hunter template - I'm wondering if with the 1D to 3D spread and 8D allocated between 4 attributes, what would the "average" NPC human look like? In most D6 settings (those with attributes, anyway) it's 2D - are the PCs then "average" or would the "typical man-on-the-street" have 1D in most attributes?

Put another way, is the attribute "benchmark"

1D Below Average

2D Average

3D Above Average

or

1D Average

2D Good

3D Great?

fantomx11    10

i haven't really written it up yet, but what sets main characters (which are PCs but also can be important NPCs) is the number of wounds they can take. Everyone has an average of 2D for their attributes, but minor characters cannot take as many wounds as major characters and might not have a full array of Tags.

fantomx11    10

I made a few changes, renamed the Tags and Categories to Motifs and Themes respectively. Also, what Themes are available will be tied to various things, for instance which species you choose can provide certain Themes that you can assign Motifs.

I'm also in the process of writing conflict rules which will encompass mental and physical combat.