Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nero Grimes

D6 Labyrinth Lord - Thoghts and Conjectures

15 posts in this topic

Finished up a one off dungeon crawl, Labyrinth Lord powered by Mini Six.

Letting Mages and Thieves take capable weapon skills is a game changer.

The Fatigue rules from Gurps loads of fun. With Fighters it can be added to Push or Bash not both. Mages can burn Fatigue to hit those hard to reach TNs. The fatigue points used count against future attack/defense rolls. Character Points should be more like the old school Veteran Points. Penalties for pumping rolls have to be immediate. Fatigue is 3X Might dice.

Spells are bought as skills. A rough guide is Level 1 and 2 spells are Difficult, keeping the more dangerous spells, like Lightning and Fireball at 20, and the more group friendly spells are 'givens'. Read Magic, Detect Evil, Read Language...are part of the Universal Mage Abilities inherent in the Magic Aptitude Perk

Any character can take Arcane Knowledge and thence the Alchemy and/or Apothecary skills to act a the classic Cleric Hit Point ATM.

Sounds great!

Yeah, from my experience using D6 for fantasy, with the magic users being competent people with a weapon is a very nice benefit for D6. No more is a magic user relegated to puny weapons and only casting spells. Now they could fight too!

That method of "fatigue" sounds interesting. Can you elaborate a bit more on the mechanics for that please?

Sounds great!

Yeah, from my experience using D6 for fantasy, with the magic users being competent people with a weapon is a very nice benefit for D6. No more is a magic user relegated to puny weapons and only casting spells. Now they could fight too!

That method of "fatigue" sounds interesting. Can you elaborate a bit more on the mechanics for that please?

We use Mini Six to give everybody useful skills, it's no fun being a torch holder.

As for Fatigue, I think the free GurpsLite PDF has a more full explanation. In this use, a mage with Wit D4 can cast, as is, Magic Missile TN 16 and we can trust 34% to keep her in check, if she fails no harm no foul. If she burns a FP to get an extra die to cast at Wit D5, moving Magic Missile to 70%, win or lose her Might goes from D3 to D3-1 against any attack, defense, or Might rolls. If she burns 3 FPs, without recovering, dropping to Might D2, her other attributes are at -1 (or one behind the Might losses - we never settled that) I'll give this some though and see if I can clarify it. I make it sound more complicated than it is.

I'm still tweaking the TNs for spells. Spells can be improved per the rules on page 6 of Mini Six. I was considering a second level of Magic Aptitude to allow the magic default of D5.

Something I didn't get to try. My friend Jeff ran a floating Fudge on the Fly game where all the Fudge Points were kept in a bowl and could only be used if another player 'lends' one.

I would have liked to have tried allowing one, or more, of the characters to have and apothecary or alchemist skill that would restore lost fatigue - in a straight opposed roll. Keep recovery in group play, rather than the player simply burning a Character Point.

The LL game this week used SKETCH. But Jeff and I had some pre-game head scratching.

Humans attributes at creation max out at 4D, and no attribute can be dropped below 2D. Prime attributes can later be bought to 5D.

Elf Might maxes out at 3D; Dex and Wit max out at 6D. The Elf Perk includes everything in the LL race description ,however Infravision is replaced with low light vision, and sonar.

Dwarf Agility maxes out at 3D. The Dwarf Perk includes everything in the LL race description ,however Infravision is replaced with 'stone senser.

Halfling Might maxes out at 3D; Dex max out at 6D. The Halfling Perk includes everything in the LL race description. and +2 on all thief and carousing/social skills.

It's optional for demi-humans to take a class. We are considering using the LL Advanced Companion as well.

No boost in the Dwarf Might? Just a negative in Agility and no other attribute changes?

The rest sounds pretty good.

No boost in the Dwarf Might? Just a negative in Agility and no other attribute changes?
Good catch, we don't have a Dwarf in this game. I had to forgo my usual door kicker, I wanted to test run Arcane Knowledge as a catch all Perk for near magic abilities - Illusionist spells, Alchemy, Apothecary, etc....

The rest sounds pretty good.
It's a work in progress. Been re-figuring the spell cost and the limits to buying a skill up for a short term game. As stated it would work for longer term game. Now factions of the group are gravitating to loose play with SKETCH or crunchy with Mini Six. I've been patterning spell use for Mini Six from SKETCH - a best guess.

Nothing to report. The sessions are mostly skirmishing and lively banter. My Halfling has not needed to do anything with his Arcane Knowledge. I restricted the Perk to 'Studied with a Master Thief' expanding on the Halfling Racial Perk's +2 to thievish skills. The greatest departure from LL is in that the Perk allows him to cast a handful of Illusionist like spells related to stealth - Darken Shadow, Camouflage, Mirror Image, etc.....

I guess this is as good a place as any to announce that I will, once again, quit dice chucking Labor Day.

It's been tens years since I've gamed in a regular group.

LLD6 is going to see me out.

My only complaint is I don't know what to do with my copy of the Rules Cyclopedia.

I am in a similar position, though I have not had a regular gaming group for... err... much longer than that. I get my gaming fix from world building, though even that has been relegated to the backburner through work and a toddler who took to toddling way too easily.

Have you considered that? Writing up what you have and seeing how it works around a (virtual) tabletop?

My only complaint is I don't know what to do with my copy of the Rules Cyclopedia.

Well, you could sell it for money. But don't do that unless you have to! It's easy to think you'll never game again, but trust me in 5 years you don't want to have to scramble around trying to find books again. Especially since we're talking about old out of print books. The RC isn't even (legally) available in PDF.

Don't give up forever!

Technically I can't sell it. We bought as a parting gift for Andy; in our searches we found Labyrinth Lord, and he liked that better.

I've put everything else aside for the final lap. I should be compiling all this for posterity.

Most of it is a straight from the whole cloth build, using the established spell list can be tricky.

I have a highly subjective take on spell difficulties. If a spell is group friendly or game useful it is much easier to cast/use. If it is vitally important of loaded with tons of personal glory, it much harder to cast/use.

An example is when a mage wants to cast Light to stun a monster, the spell itself has a TN as well as a combat roll, while simply casting the spell to light a room is a given.

I've put everything else aside for the final lap. I should be compiling all this for posterity.

Most of it is a straight from the whole cloth build, using the established spell list can be tricky.

I have a highly subjective take on spell difficulties. If a spell is group friendly or game useful it is much easier to cast/use. If it is vitally important or loaded with tons of personal glory, it much harder to cast/use.

An example is when a mage wants to cast Light, a not specifically offensive spell, to stun a monster, the spell itself has a TN, which can translate into a combat negative, as well as a combat roll, while simply casting the spell to light a room is a given.

Just here to bellyache.

The Unplug Group has gone from Mini Six to Qwik Six back to Sketch. My last hurrah has become a wind down. Democracy is a terrible thing. The upside is both the new players have shown interest in FUDGE on the Fly, something I'd love to run before it give up again.