D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
skeloric

Everyone knows how I hate PDFs but...

Books at the game are good for passing around for players to flip through (e.g. player looking up something for his own character). PDFs on laptop are great for GM. Maps, adventure details, etc... that are easy to switch between thanks to titles on the Taskbar.

If one is decent with computers, one can create handouts and such for the players that provides information that isn't as easy to access other ways (and look better than photocopied cutouts). Don't even need Acrobat Pro to make them. Any application can be used to do the layout then use the various free print drivers that create PDFs (e.g. CutePDF is one example. Uses Ghostscript as the actual backend).

As for our "dependence" on technology. Well, I'd love to see you do molecular dynamic modeling with paper or a chalkboard. :) Older hardware (e.g. cars prior to 1970) and hardened hardware are immune to EMP. The big problem with EMP is delivery. Want to take out the US, you have to get the device 300km into the air. It's also not a small yield device, so whomever tries to do it would need a city buster bomb in terms of yield.

I have a 21 in LCD monitor, makes PDF reading not a problem

And I like being able to take a pile of books on one laptop (though the nuisance factor involved means I normally take the books Im sure Ill need in book form, and the laptop for all those 'just in case' books)

I at one point had a 20 inch flat screen which broke and now I am down to a 17" flatscreen, but even then reading .pdfs bothered my eyes (but not as much).

I still prefer books over .pdfs

And should the apocalypse come, my books will at least be flammable if I'm really desperate for warmth -- will the digital data on your computer be able do that?

And should the apocalypse come, my books will at least be flammable if I'm really desperate for warmth -- will the digital data on your computer be able do that?

Probably not. They will be nothing more then dead hunks of metal

I'm pretty sure I've got enough cardboard boxes to get me through a few Wisconsin winters. But I'll be able to use the battery in my computer and some iron wool to start the fire!

:D

Well it depends on what kind of attack it is. It may make the batter in your computer not so useful. :)

Well it depends on what kind of attack it is. It may make the batter in your computer not so useful. :)

Oh? :confused: I didn't think an electrochemical battery would be seriously effected by an EMP, solar storm, etc. What sort of attack did you have in mind?

Oh? :confused: I didn't think an electrochemical battery would be seriously effected by an EMP, solar storm, etc. What sort of attack did you have in mind?

You know, I don't have any idea if that would have any real effect or not. So you could be right

You know, I don't have any idea if that would have any real effect or not. So you could be right

Chemical batteries, like a human body, aren't affected by an EMP. Same reason why an older car isn't affected. The pathways (e.g. wires in the older car, plates in the battery, etc...) aren't of the size that the voltage can create the shorts and burn them out.

Chemical batteries, like a human body, aren't affected by an EMP. Same reason why an older car isn't affected. The pathways (e.g. wires in the older car, plates in the battery, etc...) aren't of the size that the voltage can create the shorts and burn them out.

That makes sense. Hell, I am no chemist. After saying it and him telling me it was a chemical battery I was pretty sure I was wrong about it.