D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Hihnt

Varia

Ok, some of you might remember me from the old WEG forum. I was then making a world for TORG, which sadly is probably lost (Revolution World). Anyhow, now I'm making two small books, or rather booklets for use with Open D6. First, almost finished, is a sourcebook/flavourbook about the spiritualism to be used either with "D6 Adventure" or any other gaming system. Not only alternate rules for communicating with spirits are included, but also information about some more famous mediums and history of the movement. Hopefully it will be nice to read (it is in the second proofreading).

Second work in progress is a worldbook tentatively called KyberNoir. Apart from the description of the world (a fun-orientated 30s with cybernetics) it will include an alternative rules for cybernetics. I dislike the ones from D6 Space, what I wish to do is make a rules where there will be no "humanity" problem, which is something I'm not to fond about. The book is somewhat written, I need to write than the rules, add stats for guns, NPC and such.

There are some other ideas I have, that in future I'll specify. Also there will be a www page (actually it is already online, but at the moment it is quite empty).

That's great, thanks for doing this. The cybernetics things definitely could use some work; I've never worried on them much as I am unlikely to use them in a game I run but part of that decision resulted from the way the rules were written.

If everything goes well, Spiritualism will be ready in 2/3 weeks time. As for the cybernetics, as the rules are set to be OGL I will soon post some of my ideas here.

Ok, as things take more time, than I wish they were, I'll be posting here some other stuff. Mainly race packages, technology etc. devised by Edgar Rice Burroughs in his Martian cycle.

We begin with Green Men of Mars (D6 Fantasy):

Green Man of Mars

16D

Agility: 3D-8D

Coordination: 2D-4D

Physique: 4D-7D

Charisma: 1D-2D

Intellect: 1D-2D

Acumen: 1D-2D

Advantage:

Size (R1)

Disadvantage:

Devotion (R2) – Green Men have a strong belief in the rules governing their society. For any disobedience of them they gladly kill

Technological inability (R2) – the Green Men are unable to work with higher technology, while using it the difficulty level has +10 modifier.

Quirk (R2) – Sadism, the Green Men take pleasure from inflicting pain on others.

Special Abilities

Ambidextrous (2)

Endurance (1)

Extra Body Part (0)

Natural Hand-to-Hand Weapon (2)

Extra Body Part (0)

Natural Hand-to-Hand Weapon (2)

Longevity (0*)

Telepathy (0*)

*as on the Barsoom everyone lives up to a 1000 years it would be wrong to charge for this Special Ability

* every race on Barsoom has at least basic skill in telepathy, so as with longevity it would be wrong to charge for it.

I want more free time! So now, another Martian race:

Black Men of Mars

21D

Agility: 2D-5D

Physique: 2D-4D

Charisma: 2D-4D

Intellect: 2D-4D

Acumen: 2D-4D

Advantage

Trademark Specialization (R1) – Melee Combat

Disadvantages

Infamy (R3) – Black Men are considered by all other races of Barsoom as vicious pirates.

Devotion (R2) – Black Men are highly religious and fanaticaly obedient toward Issus, their Goddes.

Special Abilities

Skill Bonus (1) – Black Men are well known on Barsoom as excelent swordsmen, therefore each of them has a bonus +3 on melee combat.

Longevity (0*)

Telepathy (0*)

*as on the Barsoom everyone lives up to a 1000 years it would be wrong to charge for this Special Ability

* every race on Barsoom has at least basic skill in telepathy, so as with longevity it would be wrong to charge for it.

If everything goes well, Spiritualism will be ready in 2/3 weeks time.

I'm very interested in this! Please, let us know when it's out. :-)

Longevity (0*)

I think Longevity should never cost anything. How often would it come up and actually benefit the PC?

I'm very interested in this! Please, let us know when it's out. :-)

If your email will accept an almost 10mb pdf file, theny you can become one of "beta testers" - PM me if you wish :)

I think Longevity should never cost anything. How often would it come up and actually benefit the PC?

I mostly agree, but here I'm basing it all on D6 Fantasy. If I'll be making something like revised Special Abilities, then Longevity would be free.

Interesting stuff,

I agree with your take on cybernetics, but can't say I've ever used the rule set. I've longed to run a Barsoomian campaign. None of my players has read the old series and most of them didn't like the John Carter film (I on the other hand thought it was pretty good, at least as good as so much else out there that gets reve reviews and cult followings, but then I'm a contrarian).

I'd love to see what you've got. Do you plan on posting it or are you planning to publish?

I know people who used the rule set, but they weren't very happy. I tried it once and it wasn't very nice.

As for Barsoom, it is great place to set adventures, but I still haven't got a group to test it. John Carter IMHO was very nice movie, not as bloody as books, but still nice. Sadly no one would risk to make a movie faithful to books, as it would be both quite an expensive one and at least R-rated flick.

Finally, the Spiritualism I plan to publish it via rpgnow/drivethrough and amazon-kindle with a price up to 3$ (it might be 1$ - I need to decide that at some point). This is why I want it to be "as good as possible" and this is why it takes so much time.

Anyhow, here comes Therns:

Therns (White Men of Mars)

Agility: 2D-4D

Physique: 2D-4D

Charisma: 1D-3D

Intellect: 2D-5D

Acumen: 2D-4D

Disadvantages

Devotion (R2) – Therns are very religious and fanatical toward Issus.

Infamy (R2) – It is believed that all Therns are extinct, therefore upon discovery all around are interested in them. This, while it doesn’t alway lead to hate of danger, highly limits the ability to travel and interact with people.

Special Abilities:

Master of Disguise (3)

Longevity (0*)

Telepathy (0*)

I'd be interested to read your new take on cybernetics, as I tend to agree with you regarding the current D6 space rules. I haven't quite found an alternative myself in my games yet.

Looks good so far!

Radium Rifle

Radium Rifle is a big long gun made and used by the Green Men. While It is designed for larger race, Red and other smaller races might still use it with a -1 pip penalty to rolls for aiming. It shots opaque glass bullets filled with Radium, which explodes when it is exposed to sun light.

Damage: 4D; when the Damage Roll is higher than 14 the bullet explodes leading to an additional Damage Roll of 5D.

If the target is seriously wounded by the shot, but there was no explosion (that is the Damage Roll was lower than 14), it means that the bullet stuck in his body. Removing it demands a test of Surgery witha Heroic difficulty.

Range: 50/150/300

Price: M

Calot: Agility 4D, dodge 7D, fighting 5D, Coordination 2D, Physique 5D, running 7D+1, Intellect 1D, Acumen 3D, search 3D+2, tracking 4D+2, Charisma 1D, intimidation 6D+2, mettle 3D. Move: 35. Wound levels: 3. Natural

Abilities: teeth (damage +1D); small size (scale modifier 2).

Ok, it was some time since last post, but I had a lot of other things to do (like finishing thesis). Soon there will be some - i hope - interesting stuff here.

This is early beta of the text, but it should give some ideas about what I want to do with cybernetics. The language is clunky and definitely not Oxford English, but hopefully understandable (the final version will be better in this department).

The rules for cybernetics:

While humanity is something that is for most people inseparably connected with flesh and bones, in reality it is something more than that. It can exist completely separated from the body. What make a human is not matter, but his thoughts and feelings, which can be easily transferred from DNA into a machine. What does it mean? As long as you treat your mind with every needed impulse, you don’t need to care about your body. Thus you can go fully cybernetic without any risks and second thoughts. That is, if you have enough money and know the risks of putting machines inside your body. You need to be aware that a machine works differently than the flesh. In the cyber-implants a screw might unscrew, a cable might fell or be broken and the overall mechanics might need repair or check up.

What, then, are the rules on how to make cybernetics? Lets begin with an easy example, Mr John Smith decided that he doesn’t like his left hand. He went to a doctor and he gave him one of these: a metal hand where each finger hides a tool useful for a plumber in his job. Between the statistics for a new hand there is a special one: “technological error”. This number is different for each implant. It should be added together and then compared with a special chart included here and also present on the character sheet. There to each range of points there is information about a number of additional dices. Each one of these means that during the use of the implant the mentioned number of dices is treated as additional Wild Dices, but only working as a negative ones. That means, that you get the “1” effect, but there is none for “6”.

John Smith is lucky, his hand points are below the range. Sadly for him during the repairs of a car, he cut off his leg. The doctors advised against the painful procedure of reattaching it and instead John went home with new, artificial one. At first it was difficult for him to readjust to be more mechanic, than he used to be, but the worst came later. The points from leg made the overall sum of the points higher and this makes him earn “1D” in the Wild Dices. Therefore from now one when he will roll for any test, for example he will be jumping, the following rules be used. He has 4D+2 in this skill. Before rolling he decides which dice will be his Wild one and which will be the Technological one. He then rolls his 4 dices.

Why the cybernetics mean more dangerous rolls? This is because it is man-made technology. As such it is always prone to be broken by accident, or even by normal use. Putting such thing inside the body you enlarge the dangers coming from such technological mishaps. Therefore when a character is full of implants it means that things might not go well for him. He either needs to look out, or spent more money for better implants that have lower level of danger of breaking up.

As you can see some of the implants have also an adjustment time. This means that character will have a penalty, when using the cybernetics in that timespan. Not all implants have this, as it goes only with those that need a special thought about the use. Therefore the cybernetic liver will work from the start, while metal leg will demand a few days for the owner to become acquainted with the new way of moving. The amount of penalty is noted next to the information about adjustment time.

What to do when character has one leg cybernetic and one biological? When the test is made for an action where both are at work, such as running, then the lower statistic is used. So when one leg has running as 6D, but the other is only 3D+2, on the test you roll only 3D+2. But when you specifically use only one leg, then the appropriate stats for it are used.

And now in short from, the Technological Error will be based on the strength of the implant. The bigger advantage it gives, the more dangerous it is in use. You can lower it by buying much more expensive implants. While there will be rules on how to make your own implants, I plan to make enough of them for most games.