arcgaden

Scale

7 posts in this topic

I make scale fit the setting I am creating, often. One of the things I had the hardest time with was making Scale work the way it seems like it should.

For instance:

Starfighter to Character Scale

According to the original rules, Starfighter weapons did more damage, but a Character had a better chance of Dodge against them. So maybe that makes sense with say, Forward Fire Arc weapons on an x-wing, but it doesn't make sense with something like a turret gun, like those installed on the Millenium Falcon. Those turrets seemed perfectly agile enough, in fact they had targeting computers, so they should have been better off... My point is that Scale does not always work well based on the original creation of it in SW d6.

Does anybody have creative ways they have handled Scale in house rules?

- J.

I've done rather extensive work on scales.

As for your example of the starfighter weapons vs. character....the scale still works, you just need to utilize the fire control to offset the differences when you have something like the turrets on the Falcon. If you want less of a difference than what fire control can account for, make the weapon scale different from the vehicle or give it a lower scale fire control. So while the damage might be Starfighter scale, the Fire Control scale might be Walker scale (meaning it hits Walkers evenly, starfighters better than normal, and humans at less difficulty than a typical Starfighter weapon.

Using fire control to offset it feels a little kludgey. Especially when the Fire Control seems to be designed around the Scale in the first place. I do like the idea of adding Scale separately to the Fire Control, specifying where it lies, but I think that might become over complicated quickly.

I try to use the real world to break down Scale often.

Personal : Personal weapons deal damage meant to injure or kill individuals. x1 Damage to People.

Heavy : Heavy weapons deal damage meant to disable or cripple vehicles. x2 Damage to People. x1 Damage to Vehicles.

Expansive : Expansive weapons deal damage meant to disrupt and obliterate small to large areas. x3 Damage to People. x2 Damage to Vehicles. x1 Damage to buildings and large structures.

This is what I've done in my latest bit of Scaling more recently, but its been working very well in play tests (which was actually pretty surprising to me). However, operating a weapon that was a Heavy Weapon was a different skill all together than operating a standard Ranged weapon. Expansive damage weapons are unique enough to where they fall typically under Heavy or Vehicle Weapons for skill use, and few enough of them exist to warrant more descriptors.

This is of course in a game that does not have starships, nor anything much bigger than a town. That does make Scale much easier.

Starships and space Scaling seems dramatically more difficult.

- J.

Yes, it depends entirely on the differences of scale in your setting. If you're doing only a Western, you're not going to have much more than 2 scales. Once you get into Science Fiction, things can get quite a bit wider in range...though it does depend on how the setting is presented. If you're just running a Sci Fi game set on a planet, and there's not a lot of weapons of war (and warships), nor stellar craft, then you don't need many scales there either. It's only when you start having interstellar travel and things ranging into the larger sizes that scales need a greater range.

The thing with scale that people need to realize is the uses and what they mean. Some things simply are not represented by scale. They need to be represented by other aspects. If you start tweaking scales too much (especially in a setting where you have a wider range of scales) you end up with issues that can pop up unexpectedly. If you've only got a couple of scales in the setting, as you've suggested, then those issues might not pop up very much at all...if ever. If you've got 6 or more scales, problems can be accentuated.

Yes, it depends entirely on the differences of scale in your setting. If you're doing only a Western, you're not going to have much more than 2 scales.

Well, theoretically you'd still have several, if you included stuff like ships and worried about how much damage a building or fortress takes before it can fall down. But I've never usually troubled much about those sorts of damage. Maybe the ship v. character stuff might be useful for a Pirates or Hornblower campaign.

You could have several, yes, but most westerns usually have just people horses, wagons and trains. Not a huge variety of scales. Ships in many westerns are just the "mode of travel", not designed or used for combat purposes in-game.

This is something I came up with for a project I'm working on, and I wanted to share it with everyone else, to get feedback and to just put it out there for others to use if they found it useful.

nb16.png

Yay! I'm approved! Thanks! Hello everyone!

PS - I saw like three things during signup that said to put D6 in front of my username, and I did, now my username starts with D6. =( Is there any way to fix that?