Grimace

What WOULDN'T you change about D6?

7 posts in this topic

I know there are people who don't like certain things about the D6 system. Everyone has a different opinion on what they want different from other people.

What I'm wondering is what are the things that you absolutely wouldn't change about the D6 System? What, to you, is so sacrosanct that you'd never want to see it changed from a particular version of D6 (whether that be the D6 system used for Star Wars, or the D6 system as listed in the 3 core books, or some other version of the D6 system)?

Also, why wouldn't you want that particular aspect changed?

The basic die roll mechanic. It's fast, simple, and extremely efficient.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything I wouldn't change. The fact that the D6 System is so adaptable is one of its major selling points, in my opinion.

The basic die roll mechanic. It's fast, simple, and extremely efficient.

Ditto, although I'd expand it to include the unified nature of the mechanic, with attributes and skills expressed in terms of D6es and modifiers. It's easy to teach and immediately sensible.

I would not change that you're rolling six-sided dice, because rolling eight-sided (or any-other-sided) dice AND calling it d6 would be ridiculous. Other than that, I'm open to change.

- J.

This concept, of remaining open to change within the d6 game mechanic, seems like it is at the heart of the OpenD6 OGL concept, does it not?

I would never add classes and levels, or other such blasphemous abominations.

To the original question, other than dice pools composed of six-sided dice, there's not much that I'd consider "off limits" to change. Granted, I've seen some changes that I would not personally adopt or play, but I've long abandoned the notion that OpenD6 will be like D20 from a standpoint of uniformity - and that's okay. It's a very versatile core mechanic that can be tweaked pretty hard and still produce entertaining play, so it's all good.