arcgaden

Paid work?

12 posts in this topic

So - I wanted to see here about finding writers for our next setting, (or two or three)?

We are looking to pay, using specific writer-related rates, now that we have some more experience in gauging people. We've not worked with Bill Smith, Peter Schweihofer, Wayne Humfleet, and last, but not least, Deborah Teramis Christian. You may or may nor know their names, but they've been very helpful in both advice and helping us develop as an OpenD6 game developer. It also gave us a good perspective on what to pay writers based on their publishing credits, writing, and editing experience. So yeah, rates wil be negotiable.

That said... We are looking for a wide range of writers for the next two settings, but we are specifically looking for folks who have a decent grasp of Cinema6's variation on the OpenD6 OGL, or are willing to buckle down and learn it competently enough to write AND develop for it. Our bread and butter is a story-driven architecture for our settings, so we will likely want to see the ability to conduct dialogue and craft scenes, etc.

If you're interested, post here. We can talk more and hash out a work sample, talk out how cinema6 works, and privately discuss your rates, etc.

- J.

I'm interested. I haven't published anything professionally in terms of roleplaying games, but I am a published academic author and I have quite a lot of experience with writing rules and settings for home games.

Nice! Our current editor is a friend / local professor at a university without publishing credits outside academia, but also with extensive experience and time playing RPGs. We have found this combination tends to work well.

Can you talk about some ideas you've had? Have you played any of the cinema6 stuff or played with variants of your own that you think might bring flavor to another setting?

- J.

We've not worked with Bill Smith, Peter Schweihofer, Wayne Humfleet, and last, but not least, Deborah Teramis Christian.

Hey J. Did you mean mean something else? Perhaps now instead of not? :cool:

Hi there! Sorry for not posting anything earlier, but you know how it is with the holidays. :-)

So, when you mention "ideas", do you mean about Cinema6's mechanics specifically, rules in general, or settings? I haven't played Cinema6 yet, and I have only skimmed it, but I'm willing to learn more about it.

The main thing I'd like to emphasize with the D6 System is that it's a fast, cinematic system not meant to be bogged down by details. Savage Worlds may use the Fast! Furious! Fun! tag, but D6 had it years before!

In so far as ideas go, lets stay vague. I know my question was not pointed, but I think I did that intentionally.

As far as what WNG has in our pipeline right now:

d6 Magazines (issue 5 (wrapping up now), 6 (in progress), 7 (staged))

Westward (wrapping up now)

Transience (getting started, we expect to use kickstarter again with this to try to fully fund the development process. I expect we will hit Kickstarter for this near the end of the Winter and give it the longest time possible.)

Azamar : The Inferium (this is a world setting expansion)

Clandestine (staging this one, the status of this may get it shelved)

Any questions? Projects that interest you? Feel free to ask for amplification.

- J.

Any questions? Projects that interest you? Feel free to ask for amplification.

Well, I'd like to know more about Transience and Azamar - and maybe about D6 Magazine as well?

As for ideas, I have a few:

1) Settings should be at once both complex and light. They should be light, in the sense that there should be a description of the realm of Aquilarre (for example), its monarchy, nobility, customs, economy, culture, History, etc., but not of every single NPC, important or not; that is, it should provide enough information for a GM to make it its own setting, and no more.

As for complex, what I mean is that the setting should be able to provide enough set-ups for several kinds of adventures: Aquilarre, for instance, could provide plot hooks and set-ups for adventures of courtly intrigue, conflicts between Honor and Glory, old-fashioned dungeon crawls in ancient ruins, battles with evil sorcerers, etc.

2) Settings (and adventures) should have coherent themes and be evocative of those themes. Any GM can come up with any kind of adventure; what GMs (and players, too) need to come up with interesting adventures and characters is guidance from the book. How exactly does courtly intrigue work in Aquilarre? How do nobles fight for political power, and how can the PCs interfere (be it as mediators, rivals, nuisances... Anything)? That's the kind of thing that should be provided. And the writing should reflect that, too; if I feel the writer wouldn't enjoy playing in his own setting, it doesn't really spark my imagination, you know? :-)

Transience

This is a high technology science fiction setting set in the very distant future.

Synopsis

As Humanity crossed the vastness of space, they discovered two things. They were not alone and they were the most technologically advanced space-faring species. This notion sparked rapid expansion, to include the conquer and colonization of many worlds. Humanity established an "equality-based" governing body call the United Worlds council. The United Worlds council signed into place the Intergalactic Treaty Organization to help enforce the UW's authority.

In time, the UW works as a separate governing body from the United Solar Confederation, the Human government. The USC's military is the primary military presence throughout all of UW space.

While the USC rarely acts unilaterally, explorers discover a hostile race of synthetics called the Edaphi; who centuries before, overthrew and annihilated their organic creators. Without ITO and UW permission, the USC sends their new starship, the Horizon to act. In a violent battle, the Horizon's crew fires a new weapon at the Edaphi world completely destroying the planet.

This sets into motion intergalactic unrest and distrust of Humanity. Many races belonging to the UW and ITO mobilize into a massive coalition, one that sets the known universe into war. Many Human worlds take the side opposing the USC's action, and borders are drawn. A century later and the war diffused without a winner and countless loss of life.

As Humanity remains distrusted throughout the universe, game play in the Transience setting begins.

Well - Azamar is best described by the completed works. You get your hands on them here in PDF, (look at the bottom of that linked page).

http://wickednorthgames.com/?p=14

As for what we'll produce in the future:

We will completely revise and redo the original book. We want to take the original, lay it out in color, get the layout done professionally - and make lots of changes that have yet to get back to the original book from the newer changes in the cinema6 rules set.

-J.