D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Grimace

Weapons?

One thing I've been doing of late is rounding up all my weapons for which I've created stats. It got me wondering what sort of listing the core books had as my list grew longer and longer.

So I ran through the 3 core books and the D6 system book and quickly counted up roughly 125 weapons. Some of them, however, may have been duplicates to other books.

Then I added up what I currently have stats for: 203 weapons.

I guess that's a good start.

How many of you like things like weapon collections for games? Would you rather not have them for your players, or do you like looking over stuff like that?

Personally I enjoy it, but I can be very judgemental due to my immersion in all things weapons, especially sword typology. From a GM stand point I like shorter lists for the sake of simplicity and for ease of choice on players. It is a game not a shopping trip, of course some players enjoy that.

Personally, I prefer a somewhat concise list of weapons, but one where weapons are actually different from each other, instead of only having different damage ratings.

I certainly like having a list like that (although I am unlikely to run a game spanning too many eras so the full list may be unnecessary for most games). I generally don't want players to have a master list of everything, better for them to ask where to get a bazooka than see it on the list and pester until they find a bazooka store.

HA HA HA! A bazooka store! :) Thanks for a good chuckle on that one!

Thorvald, you said something that made me wonder....What did you mean by "weapons that are actually different from each other instead of only having different damage ratings?"

Can you give me some examples of what you're talking about, please?

I always like making weapons that work differently. A great example comes from diversity provided by using different animals as ammunition, in the video game Oddworld Strangers Wrath. Great game without that, but that is what makes the game Sooooooo fun. The diversity in ammo all fires from a single crossbow, however, the creatures you fire do different things. Some just blow up, others freeze stuff and electrify things, etc. I believe one produces a potent smell that keeps enemies away for a short while. That kind of stuff is great for weapon creation.

I also like weird stuff that essentially paralyzes a target. Those are sweet!

- J.

Thorvald, you said something that made me wonder....What did you mean by "weapons that are actually different from each other instead of only having different damage ratings?"

Can you give me some examples of what you're talking about, please?

Sure! :-) I think I may even have mentioned it in a post before.

Well, different weapons are used for different purposes, right? I mean, take the knife; it's so small a weapon, that it would be suicide to use it as your main weapon - not because of "low damage rating", since you can still hit your opponent's vitals, but because of its poor reach. However, when you're grappling your opponent, a knife is suddenly a lot better than a sword, because you can still wield it during a grapple and stab your opponent's vitals.

Let me give you a practical example of what I came up with (the wording is still VERY raw, sorry about that):

Knife - Damage: 1D. Special: You gain a +8* bonus to all rolls to hide or quick-draw this weapon. You can add this weapon's damage to your Base Damage Value even while grappling.

Shield - Damage: 1D. Special: You gain a +4 bonus to Melee Combat rolls to parry using a shield. In addition, you can use Melee Combat to defend against arrows and similar projectiles, instead of Dodge.

Axe - Damage: 2D. Special: You can throw an axe using Melee Combat.

Sword - Damage: 2D. Special: You do not suffer the -4 penalty to Melee Combat rolls to parry using this weapon.**

Warhammer - Damage: 2D. Special: The target's Armor Value is reduced by 1D against this weapon's damage rolls.

Two-Handed Weapon - Damage of the weapon is increased by 1D (or maybe by +2, I'm undecided).

* I use multiples of 4 for difficulty values, not 5.

** Axes, hammers, maces, spears, etc., would suffer this penalty.