D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

What is the most long an drawn out movie you have seen?

Just asw the title asks, what is the most long and drawn out movie you have ever seen.

Unbreakable is close but the blue ribbon first prize for most long and drawn out movie I have seen goes to:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Does it really take 2 and a half hours to get to the point where Jesse James is killed?!?!

We are talking about movies that (seemingly) take the whole movie to finally reach the POINT of the movie?

It was called "Dark Inheritance" or "Dark Heritage" and it is based upon an HP Lovecraft story.

I remember this film from the late 70s or VERY VERY Early 80s and even bought a $1 DVD edition of it.

To sum it up, it involves an old house where a vanished family line had a distinctive appearance: A brown eye and a blue eye.

The house is at the center of some dark and mysterious legends and local population knows that the house is the source of all evil and shun it completely.

There are no roads to it and one must hike for several hours to reach it as everyone who could abandoned any all settlements to get further away from it.

Then a reporter notes that certain wild animal attacks in the region seem to be all occur with that house's reputed location as their "center".

So he goes to see his editor about this and connives to get permission to stage an overnight stay at the abandoned residence.

To his surprise, his editor LOVES the idea and assigns to helpers from printing press area of the paper to go along.

They go there.

They spend the night.

The reporter wakes up alone with barely any signs of a struggle and the one of the other guys? MISSING.

He and the remaining other guy spend almost all day trying to find any sign of him but cannot.

Then the remaining other guy vanishes.

He is alone in a house where something is attacking and killing people and eating them, as he soon discovers.

They also live in tunnels beneath the house and lands which stretch all throughout the region.

He barely avoids disappearing himself, escaping back to civilization.

He tells his tale to his editor.

The editor is agitated, surprised and more than a bit horrified by the tale thus decides something must be done.

But what needs to be done?

Kill the survivor of course, after all by his revealed blue and brown eyes he too is a member of that family.

Bing!

We reach the moment the whole film turgidly sailed towards

Granted the story was also slow in its presentation but the story at least relied upon Lovecraft's overwrought use of obscure adjectives to carry the day, the film can't unless it relied heavily upon narration.

Still, I like the film and really only wish that the audio had been cleaned up a little: the BASS is extreme making the whole house shake if you turn up the sound to hear the extra quiet voices in comparison to the rest.

Gone With the Wind. Bar none.

You give me four hours of that crap for "tomorrow is another day?" I would have hung on for another half hour if they would have just given the movie a conclusion... but no... they just ended it where they were.

I know it's based off of a classic novel, but it doesn't mean that I think it makes good film. Classic, you say? If you say so. Cinema history? Most certainly... just not one piece of history I cared for. The DVDs are now coasters in my living room.

The good shephard was at least the one I viewed recently. See the outtakes and you realize it was meant to be a brilliant movie. See the movie and you ask yourself the whole time what the point is.

The good shephard was at least the one I viewed recently. See the outtakes and you realize it was meant to be a brilliant movie. See the movie and you ask yourself the whole time what the point is.

I would agree. I think "The Good Shepard" was very long and drawn out. I saw that one in the theater too which makes it worse.

Though another aweful and drawn out movie I have seen (in the theater no less) was Vanilla Sky. Very, Very bad movie.

For me it's "Legends of the Fall" - great cast; Anthony Hopkins, Brad Pitt topline - but MY GOD does that movie take forever! By the final reel, countless millennia after the movie began, when rugged frontiersman Brad Pitt goes toe-to-toe with a grizzly bear, I found myself rooting for the bear to triumph and put me out of my misery.

Happily, the bear triumphed...

For me it's "Legends of the Fall" - great cast; Anthony Hopkins, Brad Pitt topline - but MY GOD does that movie take forever! By the final reel, countless millennia after the movie began, when rugged frontiersman Brad Pitt goes toe-to-toe with a grizzly bear, I found myself rooting for the bear to triumph and put me out of my misery.

Happily, the bear triumphed...

I have never seen that movie. It never looked like something I would be able to get into. And if its long and drawn out I certainly wouldnt be able to get into it.

The movie that holds that coveted spot for me is "Ishtar". What a steaming pile of sh....aving cream!

I watched it for an hour, which seemed more like just short of eternity, and is the only movie that I've actually turned off to stop watching it without actually having to go somewhere or do something.

The movie that holds that coveted spot for me is "Ishtar". What a steaming pile of sh....aving cream!

I watched it for an hour, which seemed more like just short of eternity, and is the only movie that I've actually turned off to stop watching it without actually having to go somewhere or do something.

I have only seen bits and pieces Ishtar but I have never seen the whole movie. I know most critics call it the worst movie of all times.

I guess I am not missing anything

I had an ex-girlfriend that made me watch Gone With The Wind with her because it was her favorite movie. I tried my best to stay awake and mostly succeeded. At the end of the movie, she asked me what I thought. I replied, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

I had an ex-girlfriend that made me watch Gone With The Wind with her because it was her favorite movie. I tried my best to stay awake and mostly succeeded. At the end of the movie, she asked me what I thought. I replied, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

I tried it three times and always failed. It makes for a good sleeping pill. Maybe I buy the DVD for emergencies when I just can't find sleep.

I tried it three times and always failed. It makes for a good sleeping pill. Maybe I buy the DVD for emergencies when I just can't find sleep.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture has worked as a sleeping pill for me more than once. I'm a Star Trek fan in general, but come on! The flippin' movie is rated G.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture has worked as a sleeping pill for me more than once. I'm a Star Trek fan in general, but come on! The flippin' movie is rated G.

Most "Trekkies" ignore the first film and move onto film 2.

I don't blame them either.

It was a script for a 40 minute episode of an aborted attempted at a mid-70s Star Trek series relaunch that was then stretched out into 143 minute 1979 film, then cut down to 132 minutes for actual release in theatres.

It was great in the year 1979, but it did not do well beyond that moment in time. (AKA: it aged very poorly)

The first film also began the very noticeable trend of the even numbered Trek films being good while the odd numbered films were lousy.

Well 2001 was a long, drawn out and confusing movie as well. I am surprised it is such an acclaimed movie.

Yes, 2001 is long movie. And I do feel it was a bit drawn out and could have benefited from a little more editing. But I'm a big fan of the novel and overal I like the movie, which consider it a classic, like Psycho or the original Planet of the Apes. Not really that entertaining by today's standards, but great film for the eras of release.

But I also have to say I have a love/hate relationship with 2001: A Space Oddessy. Before she met my Dad, my Mom went on a date with a guy that took her to the theater to see that movie, and she didn't understand it so she hated it. That experience permanently biased her against all sci-fi, which calls "space" movies. So I've never been able to get my mom to even watch the original Star Wars, my favorite movie of all time.

I'm gonna wait until she retires or maybe even when she's so old she can't move around very well and make her watch it with me. I think she'll like it if she watches it because it is adventure, and so drastically different from 2001.

Yeah not a fan, can't stand any Kubrick,

But 2010 was a tad better ;)

I wouldn't consider myself a Kubrick fan, but I liked some of the work he did. I really like Dr. Strangelove, The Shinning and Full Metal Jacket.

2001 was just a movie that didn't do it for me.

The Golden Compass.

Background:

The books are supposedly a long drawn out Atheistic rant aimed at turning children into Atheists -- a claim made by the writer himself and was locatable on the internet, at least up until just before New Line started a campaign to get all such references expunged from the internet.

There was one site that explored such information about the trilogy in depth and if I could recall that site, I'm certain it could still be retrieved by the Wayback Machine but even so it was some obscure British site which had the info and likely not 'Waybacked".

So I was tapped by my local church as one who is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy buff to critique the film and report back on it.

Maybe that colored my perceptions a bit, i don't really know for certain.

But I saw the film, aware and awaiting anything to give a full report about.

Overall, there was nothing objectionable about the film that might get a Christian in an uproar about -- which is nice because I was really loathing discovering such a unfortunate result anyway.

BUT!

There wasn't much to commend the film for either.

Without the spectre of controversy driving up its sales, there really wasn't much else to the film.

It was exceedingly bland and at times poorly edited to produce a rather "jumpy" feeling to the film.

I walked away relieved the film was over.

Also, when I saw the film there were about 20 people there with me at the start but only 3 were still there at the end -- the rest had left to get a refund roughly a fourth/third of the way in.

There I was stuck in my seat trying to compile an overall appraisal to the film while the others all jumped ship.

I went back and said, "I dunno about the book, but the film's only threat is putting you to sleep."

"Ignore it," I said to them, "It will go away."

So that is my experience with the golden Compass.

I hear there is talk yet of doing the other two books as well to complete the trilogy, I'm somewhat surprised because by all accounts they LOST money on the first.

I know that I'll avoid them, however, should they arrive.

Once was enough.