D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
barrataria

d6 Fantasy: Armor Values

So, partially as an outgrowth of the other damage threads, I've been corresponding with Grimace about d6 armor values. You can see some discussion in the missile damage thread, and there are multiple other damage-related threads in this forum you can peruse. To briefly sum up, the d6 Fantasy damage mechanic and values don't work together very well.

Well, it turns out the armor values are not so great either. I ran some mock combats with STR+weapon damage (more or less the values in d6 Fantasy), and they went on forever because few attacks did damage at all. At Grimace's suggestion, I rejiggered my armor values, and the result is bloodier but workable. I switched to static values for armor, and it's worked much better that way but I may switch back to variable values, or may need to tweak the values a bit. Anyway, I thought I'd share here.

So, for example, d6 Fantasy has leather armor at +2, studded leather at +1D+1, shield +2D (I used +1D), chain mail at +2D, and plate mail at +3D. (note that Mini Six uses static values based on these numbers)

I've tried out the following static armor modifiers, and they seem to work reasonably well: +2 for leather armor, +2 for shield, +3 for studded leather, +5 for chain, and +7 for plate mail. This happens to also be the AC values in the SRD, so it would be nice for my purposes if these work (since I'm trying to use 3E adventure material with d6). It worked fairly well, but still was a bit bloody, so I'm curious how those of you that have tinkered with d6F have handled armor.

Thanks!

The armor values in the books aren't really that spectacular.

I went with a 3 damage type armor value. I break damage into "Slash", "Pierce", and "Blunt"

So depending on the type of weapon, some armors are more effective or less effective.

So while D6 Fantasy might have "Hides" at a +2 for armor, I have it broken into 3 types, depending on the type of weapon hitting the wearer. Protection vs. Slash is +1, Protection vs Pierce is 0, Protection vs Blunt is +1

D6 Fantasy has "Padded Leather" at +1D. I have Leather armor at +2 vs Slash, +1 vs Blunt, and 0 vs Pierce

D6 Fantasy has "Hard Leather" at +1D+1. I have Studded Leather armor at +2 vs. all three types of damage

D6 Fantasy has "Ring Mail" at +1D+2. I have Ring mail at +1D vs Pierce, +2 vs Slash, +2 vs Blunt

D6 Fantasy has "Chain Mail" at +2D. I have Chain mail at +1D+1 vs. Pierce, +2D vs Slash, +2 vs Blunt

D6 Fantasy has "Plate Mail" at +3D. I have Plate mail 3D vs. Pierce, 3D+2 vs Slash, +2 vs Blunt

And where D6 Fantasy has armor costs of:

"Hides" = 5 gold

"Padded Leather" = 8 gold

"Hard Leather" = 9 gold

"Ring mail" = 11 gold

"Chain mail" = 15 gold

"Plate mail" = 40 gold

I have armor costs of:

Hides = 2 gold

Leather armor = 8 gold

Studded Leather = 20 gold

Ring mail = 80 gold

Chain mail = 105 gold

Plate mail = 600 gold

So most people aren't going to running around in much more than studded leather for a bit, until they can get a fair bit more money.

I tinkered a little with trying to adapt a rough translation of 3rd edition D20 Dungeons and Dragons to D6, so that I could play D&D using the D6 system (Eberron in particular). It's a serious kludge though, an eclectic compilation of notes with some translations that I did using the Star Wars D20 translation suggestions, coupled with hastily copied notes from the Fantasy D6 corebook. I only realized how weird it was when I did a comparison of D6 Fantasy's Orc with my own homemade translation; the D6 Fantasy Orc seemed comparatively dangerous. I've never tried to play it, because I never have anyone to run the game for anyway. If I had to do any adaptations on the fly, I can use the standby that seemed like a consistent rule of thumb: a number from D20 can be translated by dividing it by 3, the resulting number is the Die code with the remainder as the pips.

This is a long winded preamble, sorry for the ramble. I do have a side-by-side of the D20 Armor Bonus's and the D6 Armor Values (which I'm pretty sure are from D6 Fantasy) and the eyeballing the translation says that some of the numbers are kind of close, and here and there they get weird.

To be honest, the serious number crunching is hard for me to engage with. If I got into actual game play, I would start out by throwing some generic Orc encounters at the players and playtest my way through the game play. My rule of thumb for early combat encounters would be something Star Wars-like; the Orcs are like Stormtroopers, you hit them with your weapon and they'll go down; if the players get hit, then I'll see if the Armor Ratings are going to work okay and how much damage gets through.

Sorry if that's a bit of a non-answer, I know the nature of my approach to adapting the system to Fantasy is haphazard. I just wanted to keep things as simple as I could; it's why I like the D6 system so much.

Thanks Grimace. I'm surprised you have platemail as very effective against piercing and not very effective against blunt weapons. The values don't seem too crazy.

And where D6 Fantasy has armor costs of: [snip]

So most people aren't going to running around in much more than studded leather for a bit, until they can get a fair bit more money.

Yes, I'm hewing much closer to the SRD costs for everything (except heavy armors which will be more expensive) in part because it will be less work for me to convert other mundane stuff in relation. I'm intending to limit plate both by cost and by in-game limits like prohibitions and social pressure (clanking around in platemail anywhere remotely civilized will imply one is either a brigand or a knight/soldier/town guardsman, taverngoers will mercilessly make fun of Don Quixote's paranoid overarmoring, etc.).

Sorry if that's a bit of a non-answer, I know the nature of my approach to adapting the system to Fantasy is haphazard. I just wanted to keep things as simple as I could; it's why I like the D6 system so much.

Don't apologize! I'm glad to know I'm not the first with this hot idea of finding ways to use 3E details with the d6 core. I was going to respond here but maybe I'll respond separately in another thread so that someone coming along looking for armor comparisons won't be distracted.

You're right about the conversions and danger levels... orcs do look pretty tough when converted over! I think lower numbers of encountered creatures will be an important part of converting adventures when I get to that point.