D6 Online 3.0
Grimace

Anyone else heard of this?

I just came across this: Sixcess

It's a D6 game, but it is more similar to D6 Legend, with some modestly significant changes, than it is to classic D6.

They ran (and are running) a kickstarter and it has the funding, so it looks like this will be created.

On their website they have a 22 page PDF you can view that gives an overview of their game system. They still have a lot of work to do with their website, and I can't tell whether they're going to use the OGL. But I figured I'd put this out to see if anyone else knows more about it or not.

Heard of it, read the quick start and I'm backing the Kickstarter for it. I have some reservations; it's pretty "jargony" - in many cases creating jargon when an existing commonly used phrase in the gaming lexicon would serve equally well, and some of their preview art, while solid, makes me wonder about how good their settings for the core rules will be. I signed on mainly because of how the core looked and Cynthia Celeste Miller is writing one of the early setting books. I'm optimistic, but guarded, if that makes any sense. The way wounding works seems functional but pretty over-wrought. Probabilities are difficult to grok because given the task a die might succeed on a 2 or better or a task might call for a 5 or better - it's more like the old free White Wolf World of Darkness Quickstarts than D6 Legend, in a lot of ways. I'm willing to risk some cash on it, though - I guess we'll see how it measures up in a few months!

One of the creative team has given a lot of examples that weren't very clear from the quickstart - check it out here at RPG.net:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?657132-Anyone-know-about-the-quot-Sixcess-quot-system

Here's the company on Facebook - lots of art previews here:

https://www.facebook.com/HarshRealities6S

Reading back over the original post, I don't think this is an OpenD6 OGL project, or even necessarily based on OpenD6. The D6 Pool system seems closer to a D6-derived project. Sixcess (6S) just seems to be a D6 dice pool system, like Shadowrun, for instance, that doesn't have anything more to do with OpenD6 than the use of six-sided dice. Grimace, if you've heard anything different, let me know...

I agree with a lot of the posters on the rpg.net thread, it seems way to complicated and jargony. I am trying to simplify my games, not make them more complicated lately, and this seems like a step in the wrong direction!

Nerdron, we seem to be on the same page; I'm just hoping that Sixcess is really smooth in play once you've picked up the system (all of the creative team continually says that, but of course it being their "baby" what else would they say?). I've already signed on for the book through the Kickstarter (and had done that before the RPG.net thread - I'm not sure I would have backed it had I read that first), so I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised by the final product - but as I said above, it's a guarded kind of optimism.

The, the renaming of pretty much everything really made the game much more confusing than it needed to be. The art is good and the settings sound interesting, but it strikes me as an apparently quick-playing but needlessly gimmicky system.

I do hope they do well, and they've obviously received enough interest to fund their project, so I guess we'll see how they do.

One thing that I don't understand is the desire of people to continue to go to RPG.Net and post about their new games. Eric did this and look what happened. Now these guys are doing it and getting a bit of mud flung at them as well. Admittedly the game IS more complex than it needs to be, especially the damage, but I don't think there are many on RPG.Net that are even capable of expressing themselves in a helpful manner without being asshats about it.

My concern on (admittedly only one) setting is from the link I posted above - an alien looking like a Gray with dreadlocks, holding a flaming cutlass/sabre/scimitar, captioned "The Doblik pictured is a member of the enigmatic Medjai -- an independent organization dedicated to enforcing justice in the lawless territories of the Fringe." Reminded me a great deal of the Clone Wars-era Jedi Kit Fisto, with dreadlocks instead of tendrils (although looking at the art, those could be tendrils on the Doblik as well).

Seems like that might need a touch more "filing down" to avoid IP infringement... Take the characteristics of the Jedi, but name them after the Pharaoh's guard in "The Mummy" and its sequels? Doesn't fill me with confidence. Hopefully it's a minor enthusiastic indiscretion and not indicative of the rest of their work.

One thing that I don't understand is the desire of people to continue to go to RPG.Net and post about their new games. Eric did this and look what happened. Now these guys are doing it and getting a bit of mud flung at them as well. Admittedly the game IS more complex than it needs to be, especially the damage, but I don't think there are many on RPG.Net that are even capable of expressing themselves in a helpful manner without being asshats about it.

Seriously. That site has its uses (it's great for finding artists, for example) but for useful design commentary, no way in Hades.