D6 Online 3.0
arcgaden

Educational Gaming through D6?

Has anyone here used any of your gaming knowledge with d6 to teach children (of any age)?

What were you trying to teach?

Do you think it was particularly effective? Why / Why Not?

I am curious about your experiences with it and if you would like to share here any observations you have?

- J.

Not exactly responsive to your question, but I'm choosing d6 to set up a game for my 8 year old niece who's interested in magic, Harry Potter, etc. I am a big D&D fan, but in my experience d6 can be intuitively taught to any player in about 5 minutes, while I've seen experienced adult gamers (non-rpg variety) have a tough time remembering that the six-sider is for initiative, the 20 side is to hit and to resist spells and poison, roll high here and roll low there, etc.

D6= see the number on your character sheet? That's how many [six sided] dice to roll when you try to do something. Done.

Actually about three years ago I started writing a Runequest setting, which evolved into a D6 setting, and finally I am in the process of playtesting my own rule set using D6's but not actually resembling D6 at all. So how is that relveant well, one of the design goals was to make it kid friendly. I currently have a 10 year old playing a "Spirit Mage" and kicking ass at it. He fits in with the adults without any awkwardness, and the ruleset promotes quick play, and transitions seamlessly from combat, to narrative. So while I think D6 might be a little bit clunky for a kid, I think Mini Six might be a much better choice, or even D6 Legends. I find adding large numbers of dice slows play down much more than counting successes or limiting the dice pools.

Has anyone here used any of your gaming knowledge with d6 to teach children (of any age)?

Not really, but when my son was about 24 months I took him to Origins Game Fair and bought him his first sent of D6 dice (2 big foam dice), and I used that to help teach him to count. We simply took turns rolling the dice and counting the pips to get our result.