D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
The Game Guy

I saw a really screwed up movie last night

I watched a really weird movie last night called "The Happening".

It really was strange and didn't make a great deal of sense (not to mention the plot was a little contrived).

Has anyone seen this movie?

It really was strange and didn't make a great deal of sense (not to mention the plot was a little contrived).

Nope, I try to avoid M. Night Shyamalandindong movies, seen one seen them all,

Go watch Wanted thats a good film

"The Happening" was great movie in my opinion as I stated in a reviews forum I submit to, I only added the proviso that the film was all about a message and the film only works if you like the message or at least do not find it distasteful.

Granted, since "Night" is all about the "twist" I had the film figured out by about 17 minutes in and I REALLY liked the message.

On the other hand, WANTED is a very weak film.

The graphic novel and it supposedly went through parallel evolution but the graphic novel's story is the much stronger presentation from among the two.

On the other hand, WANTED is a very weak film.

The graphic novel and it supposedly went through parallel evolution but the graphic novel's story is the much stronger presentation from among the two.

No its not a weak film at all,

it may not stay that close the graphic novel, (which is a good thing in my book) but it still stands on its own legs as a great movie,

Watch it and see for yourself

No its not a weak film at all,

it may not stay that close the graphic novel, (which is a good thing in my book) but it still stands on its own legs as a great movie,

Watch it and see for yourself

I did see it.

And thought it weak.

Saw it before I read the graphic novel even.

Still thought the film weak.

Nope, I try to avoid M. Night Shyamalandindong movies, seen one seen them all,

Go watch Wanted thats a good film

Really I think it's only the second movie of his I have seen. The other one was Unbreakable which I thought was good but a bit drawn out.

Wanted I will have to check out.

I never got a chance to see "The Happening". I wanted to, but at the same time I've heard some things about it that makes me think he sacrificed more in the way of story content just to put in the R ratedness.

Of his movies, I've liked "Signs". "Lady in the Water" was interesting, without a doubt, but it lacked what it needed to be a movie worth buying, IMO.

"Sixth Sense" was good, but it's a bit overrated in my opinion. "The Village" was a bit disappointing. And I've never seen "Unbreakable".

"Sixth Sense" was good, but it's a bit overrated in my opinion. "The Village" was a bit disappointing. And I've never seen "Unbreakable".

I go into a M. Night movie knowing it's going to be weird. I haven't seen Sixth Sense or The Village but I haven't really heard positive things about them either so it doesnt make me want to watch the movies either.

I never got a chance to see "The Happening". I wanted to, but at the same time I've heard some things about it that makes me think he sacrificed more in the way of story content just to put in the R ratedness.

Of his movies, I've liked "Signs". "Lady in the Water" was interesting, without a doubt, but it lacked what it needed to be a movie worth buying, IMO.

Unbreakable was...ok...it seems the majority of his films rate around this level.

I go into a M. Night movie knowing it's going to be weird. I haven't seen Sixth Sense or The Village but I haven't really heard positive things about them either so it doesnt make me want to watch the movies either.

You haven't heard good things about Sixth Sense? That probably fits comfortably on the top 40 list of films of all time.

Yeah I watched Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, and The Village

I dont like the way he directs, and like I said once you've seen one....

Sixth Sense put him on the map, because it was new then,

but because he keeps doing the same things the novelty has worn off,

Hence weak box office

Yeah I watched Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, and The Village

I dont like the way he directs, and like I said once you've seen one....

Sixth Sense put him on the map, because it was new then,

but because he keeps doing the same things the novelty has worn off,

Hence weak box office

Yeah, I was going to post something like this. Sixth Sense was a cool one, but until Signs came out, everything else was just, meh. Even Signs was sort of meh too, but I still enjoyed it.

I found it funny in Sixth Sense when you get to the last little bit when she drops the ring, everybody in the theater went "OOOOHHHHHHH!!!" at the same time.

Shyamalan is hit or miss with me.

Sixth Sense - loved it, but it's only good for one viewing

Unbreakable - thought it was lame, very anti-climactic

Signs - loved it, own in on DVD

The Village - understood the symbolism, completely agree with all the points, but as entertainment I still thought the movie was lame

I haven't seen the last two. Even though he is 50% for me so far, I should watch the last two because Shyamalan is my brother's favorite director, and he's a big movie buff too. I keep forgetting to get those when I turn in my blockbuster online DVDs for the free in-store rental.

When I was out of town over the weekend, I had the opportunity to watch both Lady in the Water and The Happening, so now I am all caught up on Shyamalan movies.

Lady in the Water - I found this movie to be wacky, even for M. Night. I also found it to be pointless, and not entertaining. I wasn't inspired to care at all if they succeeded in getting the queen of the "narfs" to the giant magical eagle without first being killed by the grass-worf (I'm not making this stuff up). I also want to comment that the marketing for this movie completely misrepresented it. A trailer I saw made the lady of the lake seem evil, when the movie reveals early on that she is not (so the ambiguity of her morality was not mean to be a very important aspect of the suspense of the film). Granted, you can't really market these movies very clearly, but I still felt mislead by the trailers. I do not recommend even watching this movie for one veiwing, and I want my 2 hours back!

The Happening - Yes, this movie is really weird. I thought the plot was more than a little contrived. This movie was a lot like an Albert Hitchcock film - with a similar message as The Birds. And I have to admit that the method that the "antagonist" uses to "kill" the victims is original - it makes them kill themselves. But kudos for originality doesn't mean it is a good movie. And skeloric, just like with The Village, I understand the points and completely agree with the simple message of The Happening 110% - humans are ruining the nature of our world. However, understanding and agreeing with the message still don't make the film entertaining to me. So this is only my opinion - if you liked it then great. But I did not like this movie. In fact, this movie is down-right disturbing. Maybe that helps stress the point, but it doesn't help my appreciation of it as entertainment. Not my bag, baby.

The Happening

Originality A-

Message A+

Overall = D-

Any of you guys ever see the movie "The Audition" ? One of the many horror movies recently (last few years) to come out of Japan.

First 40 minutes of the movie was complete boredom. Last 30 minutes was What the Hell just happen ?!?