Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
janus methedor

D6 Powers and Japanese Mystic lore

2 posts in this topic

Hello I'm working on a game world using eastern lore and I've decided to use D6 Powers (not R&E; though I've heard it's good). Now here are some questions:

In trying to duplicate the powers of a Kitsune (Fox spirit) Powers does most of it. Now I'm trying to reproduce the ability of strong kitsune to make pocket dimensions. I've thought about making an ability using Spacial Warp and Dimension shift as a basis; maybe having the roll of the power dictate the size and material types within. Has anyone already tackled this problem?

The other question I have is more opinionated, this world is based off of the Inuyasha Anime and I've been thinking about how to tackle the Shinto/Buddhist powers of the Miko. My current thought is to make a Manipulation type ability to cover basic to intermediate effects while using the other abilities for the more advanced things. the Other option is to use the D6 Fantasy Magic. Is it a good idea to mix the two?

While I think I'm able to handle other aspects with the system I am open to your thoughts about how to simulate other eastern aspects with the system or ideas in general.

Thank You for Reading

In trying to duplicate the powers of a Kitsune (Fox spirit) Powers does most of it. Now I'm trying to reproduce the ability of strong kitsune to make pocket dimensions. I've thought about making an ability using Spacial Warp and Dimension shift as a basis; maybe having the roll of the power dictate the size and material types within. Has anyone already tackled this problem?

The "Exalted" system tackled a similar situation where characters are carving chunks of reality out of raw chaos. Those rules' general method involved generating a total number of successes on a die roll, something like Intelligence+Lore, then spending successes on various aspects of the new reality. So maybe the kitsune's powers could be handled by rolling a number on some skill like "Space-Warping", then giving the character the ability to decide how that total is spent to buy various aspects of a pocket world. Eg. base cost 5 for an N-yard space, multiplied by 5 for every extra 5 points spent; 0 points for empty space, 5 for bland rock and darkness, 10 for fertile land and vague light...

In any case, a 1 on the Wild Die ought to encourage the GM to invent "interesting" side effects hidden in the new plane. Trickster spirits aren't immune to their own tricks!