D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
cpaludan

D6 vs Minisix - what is the main differences??

Hi,

I was wondering what the main differences between the two are?

I can see fewer Abilities in Minisix and the addition of dodge, block, parry and soak. (I like the idea of precalculating these stats).

What other major differences are there??

Hmmm.. main differences....

4 attributes in Mini Six instead of 6

Fewer skills in Mini Six

Scale system in Mini Six is similar to that of D6 Star Wars R&E, rather than the D6 Core books

Mini Six has options for using static values for dodge, block, parry, and soak, D6 doesn't.

Mini Six has less material/rules in the core rules compared to D6, but that is because Mini Six is the "bare bones" edition.

Mini Six has half a dozen setting ideas to work from, providing flavor to the game, D6 doesn't have that.

Mini Six Perks and Flaws work slightly differently than D6 Advantages/Disadvantages. Not so much to be substantially different, but the Mini Six seems simpler.

D6 has more overall material out for it compared to Mini Six.

D6 has more options and rules compared to Mini Six.

Other than that, I not sure exactly what you're looking for. They both use the same mechanics, one is just much simpler and more bare bones and the other has more material (though the quality of the material is questionable at times) and is for those that like a more full plate of options to use in their games.

D6 has more overall material out for it compared to Mini Six.

D6 has more options and rules compared to Mini Six.

Other than that, I not sure exactly what you're looking for. They both use the same mechanics, one is just much simpler and more bare bones and the other has more material (though the quality of the material is questionable at times) and is for those that like a more full plate of options to use in their games.

While my experience with Mini Six is a bit limited, I will backup Grimace's assessment as those are pretty much exactly the points that came to my mind when I read your question.

Thanks - that was pretty much what I was after.. Settings wise I don't need anything for either Mini Six or Open D6 as I have my own huge world to work with. But since we have only played twice now, I am considering moving to Mini Six just to keep it even simpler. Perks/Flaws and Advantages/Disadvantages we haven't even used yet so changing wouldn't feel different for us..

Thank you for your input...

What's great though is that Mini 6, being a pared down version, is highly compatible with the original, just like DnD is backwards compatible because it's built off of basically the same die-rolling and stats system.

I've gone through the OD6 Locations books and used NPC's and settings from it sometimes, and used the OD6 Space Make-your-own-metaphysics system to add to Mini6.