D6 Online 3.0
cpaludan

D6 attributes and skills/wound levels. Newbie question

Hi,

Completely new to D6, I am a bit confused about how to buy skills at the same level as the corresponding attribute. If I have D3 in the ability and want to buy a skill for that attribute, how much will it cost? I guess my question goes for both point creation and when building from templates.

Another question ; what does 2 wound levels means for a NPC.? Does it just mean that if it gets hit twice and each hit does enough damage to remove a wound level it dies?

If I want my players to test if they hear or see anything, what ability should they use?

(we are using D6 Fantasy by the way)

Thank you for your time ;-)

It dawned on me that this is probably a more general question than just WEG related. If needs be, feel free to move it around.

I have now been reading all the free rules I could find, but either they all lack that information or I am just plain stupid /blind :-),. I seriously vote for the latter since everyone else seems to be able to create characters ;-)

In general in D6 all skills default to the attribute. So if your attribute is 3D you don't need to pay anything to use a skill at 3D. The cost would be for advancing the skill to 3D+1, which in Star Wars D6 would cost character points equal to the dice of the current skill level. So +3 CPs to get to 3D+1, +3 CPs to get to 3D+2, and +3 more CPs to get to 4D, then +4 CPs to get to 4D+1.

For hearing or seeing stuff use the search skill or Acumen. These may also be helpful.

Observation Difficulties

See page 73 for additional information and modifiers.

Situation Difficulty

Noticing obvious, generic facts; casual glance 5

Noticing obvious details (ex. number of people) 10

Noticing a few less obvious details (ex. gist of conversation) 15

Spotting a few specific details (ex. identities of individuals) 20

Spotting a few obscure details (ex. specifics of conversation) 25

Noticing many obscure details 30 or more

To answer your question about Wound Levels: Yes, 2 Wound Levels means that if the character takes two hits that are enough to inflict an injury, the character dies.

Bren mentioned the correct attribute and skill for hearing and seeing things: Acumen attribute and Search skill

Your question about character creation is a bit confusing.

When you create a character using a template, you allocate dice to skills, so there isn't a "cost" associated with it. Take a look at the Bard template in the back of the D6 Fantasy book. The Agility is 2D. If you wanted to put a skill die into Fighting, you would just use one of the initial skill dice to allocate to it. Since you're using a template, you have a total of 7 skill dice to allocate, with no more than 3 dice being allocated to a single skill. So if you put 1D into Fighting, you would only have 6 skill dice left to allocate. If you decided to put 3D into Fighting, you could do it with no "cost" associated with it. You would just have less skill dice remaining to allocate to other skills.

If you're using the Creation Point Pool, those work quite differently.

Using Creation Points you might start with 79 points. With those points you purchase dice in both your attributes AND your skills. Attributes cost 4 Creation Points for every 1D. Skills cost 1 Creation Point for every 1D. As with the templates, it doesn't "cost" any extra based on how many dice you already have in a skill or attribute. Paying to go from 1D to 2D in a skill will cost 1 Creation Point, just as paying to go from 2D to 3D does. There is a limit of putting a maximum of 3D into a skill just like there is with the template system.

So if you were asking about character creation, then hopefully I answered it. If you were asking about character advancement, then Bren answered it correctly.

If both of us misunderstood what you were meaning, you will have to clarify what you are asking about.

Thank you, I can see that I haven't been that clear :-), I was talking about character creation and as I understand your answers I can add all the skills I want at the same level as the corresponding attribute at no extra cost. If I want to make one or more skills better than the attribute I will of course have to pay for it.

I just came home from a 15 hour drive from Luxembourg so I will read your answers more closely tomorrow and get back with clarification etc ;-)

Ok - back online with a real keyboard and slowly recovering from the long drive home yesterday... ;)

Regarding woundlevels, I think I get it now - will try to see if it causes any further problems the next time we have a session. We didn't get to any fighting in the first session, so I thought I might get ahead of the game with asking before it became a problem..

Hearing/seeing - Acumen and using the modifiers above - got it.. (and vaquely remember seeing it as well).

As for the skills my question was regarding character creation mainly, but also I guess a bit when adding new skills later on. Of course my question regarding cost only relates to using points, I should have split up my question rather than mix in the template stuff as well - sorry for the confusion. Let me see if I can clarify it it abit...

Defined limit/character points creation

For defined limits it says : Distribute seven dice among the skills. The maximum number of dice added to any one skill is 3D.

For Character points is says : One skill die equals one creation point.

If I have Coordination 2D and wanted to add Lock picking at the same level as Coordination would it then cost me:

Defined limit : 2D out of the 7 I can allocate? Or 0D because it is at the same level as Coordination?

Character points : 2 creation points to bring it up to 2D like Coordination? Or 0 creation points because it is at the same level as Coordination?

And then once we have begun playing and we want to add yet another skill like Sleight of hand - what would that cost if it should be at the same level as Coordination (2D in my example)

Templates

My question here was aimed towards adding more skills to a template than was there already. (My youngest wanted to have a character that was somewhere between the ranger and the thief) And also if I am going to make my own templates... as long as the skills are at the same level as the owning attribute - I can just go ahead and add them (considering balance of course).

I hope this clarifies a bit more what I was after ;) And thank you for your answers so far..

I will jump over to the Introduction thread and present my self there...

And then once we have begun playing and we want to add yet another skill like Sleight of hand - what would that cost if it should be at the same level as Coordination (2D in my example).
In general in D6 all skills default to the attribute. So if your attribute is 3D you don't need to pay anything to use a skill at 3D. The cost would be for advancing the skill to 3D+1, which in Star Wars D6 would cost character points equal to the dice of the current skill level. So +3 CPs to get to 3D+1, +3 CPs to get to 3D+2, and +3 more CPs to get to 4D, then +4 CPs to get to 4D+1.

It dawned on me that this is probably a more general question than just WEG related. If needs be, feel free to move it around.

Moved to the D6 section.

I apologize in advance if I have asked this question in the wrong place and for resurrecting such an old thread but this is both a Wound Level and Newbie question.

▢ Stunned

▢ Wounded

▢ Severely Wounded

▢ Incapacitated

▢ Mortally Wounded

▢ Dead

OK how many Wound Levels would a Monster or Player Character have with the above levels???

Well, there's a loaded question. You may or may not have noticed in the d6 Fantasy Creatures book (and I think in the adventures book too) a listing for "Wounds". Things like orcs might have 3, things like dragons might have five or more. It's sort of an elaboration of the "mook" rule where stormtroopers or thugs or kobolds die when hit once. The assumption is that your player characters would have all those wound levels.

Oh, and don't worry about resurrecting a thread, it's better to keep conversations together and I admit when I read this yesterday I didn't even notice the posting dates :)

The "D6 Fantasy" rule book was not very clear on the subject so am I correct assuming a standard player character has 3 wound levels?

▢ Stunned

▢ Wounded

▢ Severely Wounded

▢ Incapacitated

▢ Mortally Wounded

▢ Dead

Which of these are considered the actual wound levels?

If you ignore "Stunned" and "Dead", you still have 4 levels left so this does not make any sense to me. :confused:

No, the idea is that PCs have all those wound levels.

So, if you have an orc with 3 wound levels, it's: stunned, wounded, dead.

You could add more wound levels for tougher PCs, or take them away to weaken them. And you can tweak the damage totals that trigger each level. For instance, I found that starting "stunned" at 1 was too harsh, so I treat damage results below 2 as no damage.

Barrataria Thank you so much bro!

Essentially Player Characters have 6 wound levels and monsters do not. Not even a dragon has as many (5 Wound Levels).

OK I see some light at the end of the tunnel.

In the "D6 Fantasy" Rulebook in Chapter III - "Non-Human Races" they show several packages for racial templates. These are all listed as "Wound levels: 3".

Question:

Do I add 3 Wound Levels to the PCs 6 (for a total of 9) OR do I drop them down to 3 for Players running non-humans OR keep them at 6 because these are the wound levels for NPCs/GMCs???

Chapter 3 is where my confusion started because I assumed 3 Wound Levels = a Players Character's level of wounds. Again the rulebook was not clear and you have been a tremenous help.

This also brings up another issue I could not find any mention in the rulebook.

How do you pay for more wound levels??? There is no mention of how to spend CPs on increasing Wound Levels NOR is there any mention of how to spend Creation Points on your template to increase them as an Advantage/Special Ability or decrease them as a Disadvantage. Please help.

To reopen this question (and probably add unnecessary confusion) I'm confused over the Stat/Skill link: Just because you have an Agility of 3D it is assumed you can automatically perform any Agility-related skill at 3D? Or am I misreading it? Just because I'm nimble and can dance doesn't mean I can also fire a blaster (although that would make going to the ballet more interesting). If the the Stat and the Skill are separate things when creating the character it means spending 4 CP for an attribute point and 1 CP for a skill die. So our gun-toting dancer (2D skill in both) would cost 12 CP (3D Agility) + 4 CP (2D in each firearms and dance) for a total of 16 CP, right? And when he goes to shoot or dance then he gets to roll 5D to see if he succeeds. Is that right?

Right.

The idea is that a more agile/dexterous Character will have an easier time firing a blaster or dancing untrained, than someone with a lower natural Agility / Dexterity. This is all pretty tricky, because when it comes down to it, firing a weapon accurately has less to do with speed and agility than it does with so many other factors, but that is **technically what the skill represents (all that training, comfort, learning to breathe, squeeze instead of pull, standing correctly, knowing dominant eye, etc), over someone who is naturally more dexterous and agile.

This is probably a difficult imbalance in most RPGs to get past, but I think its here to stay for the time being. I've toyed with making d6 Skill-primary, Attribute secondary, where all Skills function at a deficit to the roll for an untrained skill. Getting that deficit correct is something of a science unto itself - since doing so introduces all sorts of interesting factors.

One thing I do like to do for house rules: The Wild Die six-reroll ONLY works for Trained (taken) Skill Rolls of three dice or more. Botching a roll always works.

- J.

Arcgaden - Thanks for taking the time to explain. Glad I'm understanding it. I'm generally a fan of "sure you can try to do it, but it's not going to turn out well" mindset ;) I'm actually seriously cutting out the "know-how" skill because I think it's too broad.

Love the house rule; I think I need to incorporate it :)

Thanks again.

-3l3

I'm working on my own version of Open D6 and am basically rewriting a large part (maybe all of it), and am looking at doing the following:

1. a Wild Six on an Untrained roll works as usual, but since I've eliminated Wild Ones from the game normally for direct Attribute or Skill tests (I don't feel it models competent heroes well), I've added the possibility of Wild Ones only on Untrained rolls, to indicate the inherent danger of such attempts.

2. Related to the above, I've merged "Result Points" (degree of success between an action roll and its difficulty TN) and the additional damage multiple (RP/5 I think?) into a single mechanic, so for every 5 points your roll exceeds the TN, you generate a Boost, and for every 5 it fails, you get a Snag. A Boost may be traded directly for +1 to damage, but I've also got a list of other possible effects for 1 or more Boosts that players can "buy" for that action, so 2 Boosts on a Mechanical roll may allow whatever the PC is working on to last longer or have improved performance, etc, as per a stock list of effects. Snags work the other way and will probably be the domain of the GM, though players choosing their own Snags might be interesting, but would probably result in the same bad effect each time that a player felt was the least punitive.

3. I'm wanting to make the Wound level breakdown more consistent, as shown below. Soak may be rolled or static Physique x3, and of course if damage yields a result already existing (like a second Wounded result), the Wound Type increased to the next "open" level, so if you're already Severely Wounded and receive another Wounded result, your condition becomes Incapacitated.

WOUND TYPE ---------------- CRITERIA

Stunned ----------------------- Damage equals Soak to Soak+3 (12 to 15 damage vs Soak 12)

Wounded ---------------------- Damage 4-8 points past Soak (16 to 19 damage vs Soak 12)

Severely Wounded ----------- Damage 9-13 points past Soak (20 to 23 damage vs Soak 12)

Incapacitated ----------------- 14-17 past Soak (24 to 27 damage vs Soak 12)

Mortally Wounded ------------ 18-21 past Soak, etc.

Dead --------------------------- 22-25 past Soak, etc.

4. Related to the above Wounds, I'm considering Stunned as a non-Wound level that penalizes you for that round (maybe -1D to all rolls) or possibly even until you make a Physique roll or something like that to shake off the effects. I'm not sure if I want a second Stunned result on a Stunned character to raise to Wounded or just stack another level of -1D Stun. Also I'm thinking this stacked Stun method could essentially incapacitate a foe with non-lethal damage, possibly emulating outmaneuvering or disadvantaging him to the point where he may be beyond recovery and loses the fight but isn't killed or even injured permanently. If I went with that, I might allow combatants to substitute each "true" Wound level for a comparative number of levels of Stun, so Wounded would be a -2D Stun, etc., if they so chose to not inflict, or their weapon was incapable of, lethal damage.

5. I've also considered using a multiple of 5 instead of 4 in the Wound differentiation above (12 to 16 past Soak = Stunned, 17-21 past Soak = Wounded, etc), in order to stay consistent and have an intuitive degree-of-success/difference formula for players to become accustomed with, but the extra 1 per level seems to result in damage that is fairly massive, the higher the Wound levels, though I suppose since damage that yields an existing Wound Level is moved up to the next level anyway, it doesn't matter if Severely Wounded's damage range is even 35-40 past Soak, since you don't HAVE to reach it solely by that route.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks for your time!

I like the snag rule, but I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible - the fewer charts, the better :) And I have to admit, the wound system has always confused me (add it to the list of things in life that do) so I'm just using body points. But what I'm doing is Strength and if the player has points in Stamina, then Strength + Stamina. And because I have two classes that are more combat oriented, they get to add +10 to the results.