D6 Online 3.0
Thorvald

Revised difficulty levels

Hey there, guys! So, I'm not too fond of D6's base difficulty levels - feels as if they were designed for a d10 system, instead of a d6 one. So I came up with this alternative table, and I'd like your opinions on it:

Very Easy - No roll needed.

Easy - 11 (appropriate for a 3D6 roll)

Moderate - 14 (appropriate for a 4D6 roll)

Difficult - 17 (appropriate for a 5D6 roll)

Very Difficult - 21 (appropriate for a 6D6 roll)

Heroic - 25 (appropriate for a 7D6 roll)

Mythological - 35

Obviously, the PCs' die pool wouldn't increase to the same level as in the basic game - I'm thinking of limiting Attributes to 4D and Skills to 4D as well. Character Points also wouldn't be given out at the same rate (though I would divorce CPs from XPs proper).

So, what do you guys think?

Very Easy seems too easy, while the other rolls seem too difficult. If 4D is the max for Attributes and Skills then someone with 3D6 has only a 50-50 chance to make an Easy roll and someone with a max attribute of 4D has only a bit better than a 50-50 chance of making a Moderate roll. That isn't what I think of when I think of either an Easy or Moderate difficulty.

Hmmm... To be honest, I was at first shooting exactly for a more-or-less 50% chance to succeed or fail at a difficulty-appropriate task; I see "Moderate" as something "moderate" for heroes, not for regular characters. But I see you guys' point.

How about just changing the difficulty ratings to multiples of 4? So:

Very Easy - 4

Easy - 8

Moderate - 12

Difficult - 16

Very Difficult - 20

Etc.

Would that work better?

Edit: I'm reading your posts, Lee, and they're very enlightening. I just worry that the difficulty numbers you use are too easy - you're basing them on the average guy, while I'm trying to base myself on the average PC.

Edited by Thorvald

That's part of why I expanded the range - I thought that keeping the "easy" and "moderate" range in the scope of performance of a normal person (2D, plus maybe 1D to account for being familiar if not proficient with a skill) could do more, and the upper (newly introduced) ranges would be the realm of the typical PC - most tasks wouldn't be such a challenge, and the more challenging tasks are mostly beyond what an ordinary person could do.

An example of that is the new level "tough" hitting the 18-20 range; a person with an average attribute and 1D in a skill probably won't succeed. A PC with 3D in an attribute and 2D in a skill has about a 50/50 chance.

My inspiration was games like GURPS, EABA, or Hero System where a character could still do reasonably well with an average stat, but could also shine with one above average. With a 3D attribute and a cap at 4D, the average PC is really exceptional - smarter, more agile, stronger, tougher than the common person - not just in one area, but right across the board. Action movie hero-type stuff. So it's keeping the 3-4-3-4 break (so each pair is roughly a 3.5 increase over the last) and putting in more levels. If we needed to use the game for a night playing something like "The Expendables" it could handle it, but if we wanted to play something more low-key and "realistic" like "Band of Brothers" the system would handle that easily too.

Edited by Lee Torres