Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brettski

The Current State of OpenD6?

5 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone!

Long time lurker and I don't post here too often so I do apologize for that! I've got a few questions regarding the current state of Game Mechanics for OpenD6 as I design Gamemaster Characters, locations and equipment for the next issue.

...Regarding the upcoming issue #5 of D6 Magazine, I am planning on writing and contributing an article that covers the current state of OpenD6. I wanted to see if people are still using the standard WEG rules or if there's another variation out there? The OGL is (as far as I'm aware...) is still in 2.0 and with the topic of Attribute stats and guidelines in how to run your campaigns, what's your advice? I know that we do things a bit differently with the Cinema6 Framework, but for OpenD6 purposes is everyone still using the same DRs as West End Games?

Very Easy: 01-05

Easy: 06-10

Moderate: 11-15

Difficult: 16-20

Very Difficult: 21-30

Heroic: 31+

Or are there other variations floating around? My gaming group and I have played a few sessions of D6 Space and D6 Fantasy a few years ago, and there were some minor differences. In regards to designing Gamemaster Characters for the Magazine, I'm planning on using the standard 5: Dexterity, Knowledge, Mechanical, Perception, Strength and Technical attributes.

Thank you everyone as I attempt to strive for consistency here!

I'm not sure what you mean about the OGL being in 2.0. The most up to date version, originally from WEG, is 1.0a found in the back of D6 Adventure and The D6 System book. Any of the OGL listings in other WEG materials contain the older version. There have been newer versions used in other independently published materials that are correct as well.

I still use the listed difficulty levels.

In terms of which version of OpenD6 I use, I either use my own version or I use Mini Six.

Thanks for the clarification on the OGL Grimace! : ) I typed that way too fast and didn't catch the error on my half. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any other newer versions of the OGL floating around out there I wasn't aware of.

I've also been approached by a few game developers who have had questions about OpenD6, is there a main site I should point them in the direction of that contains the OpenD6 logo and the most up-to-date version of the OGL?

...Regarding the upcoming issue #5 of D6 Magazine, I am planning on writing and contributing an article that covers the current state of OpenD6. I wanted to see if people are still using the standard WEG rules or if there's another variation out there? The OGL is (as far as I'm aware...) is still in 2.0 and with the topic of Attribute stats and guidelines in how to run your campaigns, what's your advice? I know that we do things a bit differently with the Cinema6 Framework, but for OpenD6 purposes is everyone still using the same DRs as West End Games?

Or are there other variations floating around? My gaming group and I have played a few sessions of D6 Space and D6 Fantasy a few years ago, and there were some minor differences. In regards to designing Gamemaster Characters for the Magazine, I'm planning on using the standard 5: Dexterity, Knowledge, Mechanical, Perception, Strength and Technical attributes.

Thank you everyone as I attempt to strive for consistency here!

I know I'm getting in a little late on this one. For some reason this thread flew under my radar. I'll say that the vast majority of what I've done with D6 has been the old Star Wars Revised and Expanded rule set. I've done several Star Wars campaigns, and I'm often introducing people to roleplaying through that setting and system.

Currently I'm running a D6 Fantasy campaign. It's my own world, but more or less using the D6 Fantasy rulebook with a few modifications here and there. I'm still using the same DRs as WEG did.

I have some indication that we may be doing something different in the not too distant future and the characters in the current campaign may be doing some dimension-hopping, and so I'll need a more flexible set of attributes. We might use the Mini-Six rules for a lot of that. I've heard that there are some mechanics in there that cross genres pretty well. I've seen some elements of Mini-Six popping up here and there. I saw a comment by Peter Schweighoffer in an RPG discussion forum where he said he was pretty impressed with that manifestation of the rules. On the Rancor Pit forums we've had a few users come in and say that they're using a few mechanics from the Mini-Six rules.

In the adventure I'm currently working on for Issue #5 it's in a generic sci-fi setting, and the attributes of all the NPCs are the common six: Dex, Kno, Mech, Per, Str, and Tech. Of course, I'm writing it in part for all the people still playing Star Wars out there, and I'm hoping that they see that the setting fits nicely into the system they've been using for decades. Is it a step backwards? Maybe, but there are enough people still playing it and I think there's an audience.