D6 Online 3.0
Grimace

OpenD6 Scales: what do you use?

So there are a couple versions of dealing with scales in OpenD6.

We have the method from the 3 core books that uses a static modifier. Every item has a value, and there are no particular benchmarks to group things in. They provided some examples to guage the numbers of the scales.

We also have the method from the D6 System book, as well as several other varieties of OpenD6, which is the dice increase method. Each scale above Character scale gets extra dice when resisting damage from a lower scale or when inflicting damage on a lower scale. The reverse is true (the lower scale gets the bonus) when the bigger scale attempts to hit the smaller scale and when the bigger scale attempts to dodge an attack from the smaller scale. The last version of D6 Star Wars used a method like this. This method has benchmarks for grouping things in each scale area.

Those seem to be the only two methods of scale used so far in OpenD6. So my question is:

Which method do you use in your games or game design?

Why do you use that method?

Or do you use a completely different method of handling scale? If so, what is it and why did you choose it?

I use mostly the Core books fixed value.

Mostly since in the setting I'm trying to create, there are situations in which older, but small agile fighters face more modern but bigger fighters. And the same goes for ground vehicles and "power-armor". Also comes handy when the smaller one is armed with a "light autocannon" and the bigger one with a "medium autocannon", both doing the same damage, but modified by scale.

The only problem is remembering the different values, and the lack of realism (for my taste), but for now is working well, and it's a work in progress ;-)

I'm all for bringing back die caps.

Dice mods are simpler to implement. Die caps are more nuanced and especially for Star Wars better reflect scale differences for adventures driven by character action. I am leaning towards returning to die caps.

And welcome back Whill. Nice to see you posting again.

I must say, it's surprising that die caps are getting mentioned. I've always been a fan of them, but I thought I was in a definite minority.

I must say, it's surprising that die caps are getting mentioned. I've always been a fan of them, but I thought I was in a definite minority.

You must be forgetting that you were the one that sold me on die caps a couple years ago. The SW 1E vehicle/weapon stats were somewhat arbitary when first created, and the original die cap scale system was based on using the existing stats so you had this wacky die cap chart that was all over the place.

I remember you presented a framework for a very elegant die caps re-vamp that has the die cap values increase in sequential increments of one. I loved it. You need more scales and you would just have to tweak the stats to conform with the die caps scale system, which is the way die caps should have worked in the first place. I'm sure a thread on it is around here somewhere.

So consider your die cap minority to have one additional member, me.

Ah...I had forgotten about that. Yes, the die cap version I created was far easier to use than the original Star Wars die cap list.

So I'm glad the minority is getting a little more numerous! :)