D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Grimace

Damage: What's acceptable?

Damage is pretty much always represented in D6 as a die value, possibly with modifiers of +1 or +2. For melee weapons, there are two versions of damage. One method uses the full Strength value and adds a die (or pip) value. So you have STR+1D, for example. The other method uses 1/2 of either the Strength attribute or the Lifting skill. So the damage of the weapon is listed as +1D.

My question for people is multi-part:

Do you feel damage listing as they are, works with no problem?

Do you think that having STATIC damages is a viable option instead?

Do you feel it's acceptable to have a modifier to damage be ABOVE a +2 pip without going up to another D?

I know a lot of people just use things as is and there's probably not a real big reason to change this, but I'm curious people's thoughts on options like this.

For static damages, instead of have 3D damage, you'd have something like "Damage: 10". So a successful hit would automatically inflict 10 damage to the target. So instead of rolling 3D, you simply have the 10 value to work with.

For modifiers above +2, what I'm referring to is something like the following: STR+2D+4.

Basically, it would result in a weapon that had a minimum value of a higher value. It would also have a higher value than what would normally be available to any other 2D weapon, yet still not up to the maximum of what a STR+3D weapon would be able to achieve.

Do either of these options sound like something that could work in D6?

Opinions wanted.

Do you feel damage listing as they are, works with no problem?
They work, but with problems. Balancing damage so that weapons can hurt, maim, or kill high STR characters and critters while no automatically killing low STR characters and critters is the primary problem that I see. I've house ruled my SWD6 R&E rules to include the old 1E rule of Damage >= 1/2 soak roll still equals a stun to tone down the blaster proof Wookiees.

Do you think that having STATIC damages is a viable option instead?
For some special types of damage it could be a viable option - though I am struggling to think of a good example.

On the con-side: Flat damage eliminates the ability via the wild die for the damage to explode. Thus it exacerbates the problem I mentioned above e.g. DAM: 10 vs 2D STR will typically do damage and if a 1 is rolled on the wild die for soak the damage may be relatively high, however for STR 6D it is almost impossible for the damage to have any effect - whereas the numerically similar roll of 3D will sometimes do damage to a STR 6D.

Do you feel it's acceptable to have a modifier to damage be ABOVE a +2 pip without going up to another D?
Sure. I have no problem with this and have occassionally used it. The effect is somewhat minor but does eliminate some of the variability (high and low) of converting to D6s.

How about a static value with a +1D "Exploder" added on? That way you still have the option of the high values.

You'd just always put the +1E on every static value. Roll a 6 and it explodes. Roll anything else and it just adds on the to the amount.

That way you have a fairly consistant damage value for things, but you still have that option for the escalating damage from the exploding die.

I don't know if that would get rid of one of the advantages of static values by requiring a roll anyway, or if it would give those people who like to roll dice the ability to still have some minor control over the extent of damage.

The alternative would be to grant a bonus to the static damage based on the quality of the hit. Say that for ever 3 points over the difficulty/dodge/parry roll, the damage goes up by 1. That way the damage isn't capped at the same value and the more skilled a character becomes the greater damage they can do with a weapon because they know how to use that weapon with greater deadliness.

So if you have a weapon with Damage: 8, and you hit the opponent, you'd do 8 damage. But if you exceeded the opponent's dodge roll by 12 points (you rolled a 25, they rolled a 13), you would get +4 to the damage. So instead of hitting for 8 damage, you hit that time for 12 damage.

That way you're incorporating the additional bonus to damage in a roll that's already being done and still taking into account the benefit of having a crazy good-luck run on the Wild Die.

I think any of the above work in the right circumstances. The thing about the D6 system that I like most in fact is the fact that it is malleable without completely breaking it. You could plug any of the above options pretty much into any game and all it would do really is change the mood or theme of the game. Like any game carefully balancing the options in the rules helps the setting have a natural feel, which hopefully comes across in the way the players interact with the GM. That said, I have never liked static damage in pretty much any system, it is too predictable, plus I and most of my players enjoy rolling dice for damage. One die would just not cut it.