D6 Online 3.0
nerdron

[Mini Six] Stormglass

I finally finished the write-up for my Mini Six Setting, Stormglass!

The Elevator Pitch for the Setting is Stargate meets Steampunk and Cowboys. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Files are shared below. This is definitely a Beta Release, I am sure there are a lot of grammar and layout errors, but I hope people will read, play, and enjoy, and help me correct any errors you find. Please download, read and let me know what you think!

PDF

http://www.nerdron.com/stormglass.pdf

(Moved files to a more permanent home, corrected a few more spelling and grammar errors. started working on the first gazetteer for the setting! If anyone needs the file in a different format, let me know!)

Overall, this looks really, really good. I'm drawn in by your setting idea, and would buy this as a product.

Some feedback if I may:

A) The double use of the word 'germ' on page 1 is mildly vexing. Maybe rephrase...

B) For additional detail, non-English-speaking immigrants in Michigan near 1890 will probably be German. If you agree with that detail, and wanted to run with it, you might incorporate this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BCbezahl - which may have been the handle the Germans used to understand what they were doing.

C) Were there any human remains in the complex with the Pugh? Would they have been impacted by the disease? For that matter, what were the Pugh doing in North America in 28,000 BC? Would they have had humans then, there? It spins up my imagination a bit. :)

D) How are you handling languages? I didn't see a skill for it.

E) $1000 seems high, but may have been intentional. From http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi -

What cost $1000 in 1890 would cost $23951.25 in 2010. Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2010 and 1890, they would cost you $1000 and $42.42 respectively.

F) '10lbs' typo on page 6

G) Should be 'ships were sent' on page 7

H) I'm still wanting more detail on the Pugh, but that's only a good idea if they are central to the campaigns inspired by the setting. Sometimes the history of a thing will make it easier to fill in the gaps in an RPG. You could detail the factions a bit, expound on their motives, etc. For example, there's a 'war faction' - who are they fighting? It stands to reason that if Mars were a staging point then some other powerful, ancient civ might be nearby... Why did the 'peaceful faction' rebel? Treatment of the slaves, perhaps? That sort of thing.

If they're dead and gone and won't feature, ignore that feedback. :)

I) Ammo might be an issue...

As an aside, how do you feel about that 'sugarsync' provider?

Excellent work, all around. Keep it up!

A) I will fix and repost, thanks.

B) I come from a family of German Michigan immigrants, that is why i set it near Lansing, MI. :) I will just leave the details as is, I don't think I need more.

C) No human remains in the complex, but the Pugh did use humans as slaves. There will be more info on human / Pugh ancient dealings in future adventures for the campaign, so if I keep publishing, it will be in there.

D) I was going to make a languages, skill, I must have left it out, thanks for the catch. I will put in a paragraph about using it as well. Basically going similar to Stargate TV shows, and just ignore language if it isn't important to the story.

E) You are right, don't know where i got that number, just pulled it out of my butt :) I will change it.

F) and G) Will fix

H) The Pugh are dead and gone, but I suspect they will make some sort of reappearance in the future, like most advanced alien races. I have more ideas about them in my head, just nothing more flowed into the keyboard yet.

I) I tend to ignore ammo in games, but it is pretty easy to track if the GM and players want to .

Thanks for the awesome (and fast!), feedback, I really appreciate it!

Sugarsync works really well, and is cheaper that Dropbox or box.net, but the main reason I use it is because it is not blocked by the firewall at work, so I can sync my personal work between her and home.

Edited by nerdron

On page 4, could you clarify "Alien planets can be jungles, or desserts, or weird dadaish landscapes of melting clocks and cubical building with no doors," please?

For example 2 did you mean "arid and sandy" planets or "whipped cream seas with pie crust islands and giant banana mesas soaring into a sky hailing maraschino cherries" planets? Given the first and third examples, example 2 could go either way... ;)

Edited by Lee Torres

Neat setting, nerdron! I always like a good Victorian era game setting. Yes, there are a few errors throughout the pdf, but the content is good stuff! I'll send you a pdf with the corrections marked out, since they are numerous enough to not be easily encompassed in a post here.

Thanks much for sharing this! A great addition to the Mini Six line!

I shall use them both, as universe 2... I'm imagining the looks on the players faces when they arrive on a desserted island for the first time, and must survive the wrath of the lurking gummi bears and endure the monsoon of sprinkles and M&Ms... Now off to stat out a bear-sized confectionery horror for Mini Six!

Zany alternate universe aside, you've done an exceptional job, sir!

Wow, this is an awesome setting. I'm looking forward to supplements, and I already have ideas for how to incorporate the Pugh back into it. But not as a whole race, just one or two characters who saved themselves in order to build a new empire.

This has so much juiciness, and incorporates quite a few of my favorite genres. Good job.

Moved files to a more permanent home, corrected a few more spelling and grammar errors. started working on the first gazetteer for the setting! If anyone needs the file in a different format, let me know!