D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Lubidius

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, very nice.

Hey. I've been playing and enjoying very much the newer Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

Here is a resource doc I've been keeping for myself in case you are interested in learning more about the game.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KvbzRELqxM9K7EfbwyrEM3DN4R0e1cEngeh1zH6Sh_Y/edit

It is a pooled system, but has some really interesting narrative flair invoked in it. As lovers of the d6 pool system, I think you all would enjoy playing it, if not running a game using it.

I attempted to access "My growing unofficial guide to judging MHR: (A Work-In-Progress)" and I got the following message: You need permission to access this item.

Sounds like a pretty steep learning curve from pretty much all of the reviews/articles I've read so far.

I think I'll stick with either my "old, old Marvel" Superheroes from TSR or the D6 Supers from Kephera Publishing.

But thank you for sharing all of that information! It actually was very helpful, as I've seen a lot of ads for this, but not a lot that really tells you ANYTHING about what the game system is like. People were just saying generic things like "Wowzers! Marvel Supers!! YAYZ!" What you put out was MUCH more helpful and informative.

Actually, I'm glad you pointed that out, as I had meant to remove the link. Anyhow, you can still get to it here via direct link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QKabFXn-9MGRoMB4z6rp4IzRTFgR3AIFZhbVFNJDeHE/edit

It is in much need of editing ; hence, I had originally locked it out again and meant to unlink elsewhere. I need to flesh it out considerably, but also I need to cleanse it of 'too much' information from the core book before releasing it. In its current form, it won't mean much to you but you'll get the gist of my general approach in the document. It really only takes a single session to learn the system. It is easy to pick up on, especially with the cheat sheets provided with the book. Here is an example of the player sheet that you can print out and bring to the table.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Ht4br8uMMZdVU2Y2NxM3VSUkdzanVxczBGa1NGQQ/edit

There is a watcher one too, but I hesitate to post publicly. The player one should suffice to give you a little sense of how it plays out. Also, I'll be demonstrating it again online in the coming weeks; if you care to try it out once. Its at least worth taking a look at and occasionally playing if you get a chance. I too am a TSR MSH fan, but , this one is actually rather well done. It will still be 2nd in the heart though. A summary of this newer Marvel game is that is a narrative driven dice pool system ( you come up with a reasonably valid reason why a d4, d6 or d8 or d10, or d12 (based of course on their rules guidance throughout) with transitional scenes run in a more traditional form of role-playing. It works rather well at the table. And it definitely plays a lot better then it reads, or seems in review summaries I've read.

P.S. - Here is the publishers publicly posted Captain America data sheet..

http://www.margaretweis.com/images/stories/bonus_content/data_file_captain_america_promo_2.pdf

Edited by Lubidius

I picked up this new Marvel Superheroes RPG for a number of reasons. For one thing, my life feels saturated by enthusiasm for all things Marvel. The cable channels are running all of the movies based on individuals superheroes that feed into the Avengers movie. I joined my dad watching the second half of Iron Man (which I've seen a couple of times and like very much); and my whole family caught the Captain America movie which we all liked as a period piece for WWII action. I've already seen the Avengers, and Captain America helped to fill in a gap I was missing.

And the bookstore I frequent put the new Marvel RPG out. So naturally, in a Marvel mood, I picked it up out of curiosity. I picked it up, flipped through it, and couldn't get my head around it. The only recognizable thing I could pick out was the dice pool, but all the details involved in a simple roll scared the hell out of me! I set it back on the shelf.

This pattern of visiting the bookstore, picking the RPG up, and setting it back, persisted in repeating itself a couple of times; while the Marvel fever built up and took hold. I caved in and bought it after I spent one occasion flipping back and forth throughout the book for an hour or more. I guess part of the desire for it is the challenge to understand the system, which is wildly imaginative compared to what I like best about my old (and continued) favorite, the D6 system, which is nicely concrete and straightforward. Bouncing around the pages trying to find D6 basic equivalents thrilled and infuriated my ADHD brain, but I didn't find the two core charts I had hoped for: one that describes what the numbers for character attributes mean for power/competence level, and the other that codifies the difficulty numbers. These two things are the first things I hunt for in any new RPG system I try to understand, and it comes from Star Wars D6.

Another part of the reason I ended up getting the Marvel RPG was something that happened when I was looking through the character write-ups, and rather than thinking about Marvel superheroes, my mind thought that the organization of the characers and the nature of the powers and skills could make for an interesting translation of Masters of the Universe, one of the many homemade game projects I want to jury rig an existing RPG system for. My default is still D6, but the Marvel game suggests some wild possibilities.

For a day or so now, I've been taking my time bouncing around the pages of the manual, absorbing bits of the organizational structure by osmosis a little bit at a time. Today I bit the bullet and ran painstakingly through the description of the mechanics of the dice pool. I had to go slow, and digest each step meticulously. Then I went a little further, reading through how plot points work. I had to stop for the day, for fear of overloading my brain and loosing the details of the actual dice pool rolling. It's frustrating seeing so many fiddly quirks, and three things that look similar in that section: Add Basic D6 Push, Add a Stunt Die, Add an Extra Die to Your Total. I can feel my brain hurting...ouch, ouch, ouch.

When I learn it, I'll bet it will be fun. But how painful will it be to process the ins and outs of the system. It is so wildly non-concrete, at least in my point of view.

A few random curiosities I've not seen anyone mention when talking about the book: so far, I have no idea how to write up the details of vehicles; and I'm shocked by the lack of major iconic villains. There's a whole slew of villainous characters provided that are Marvel "flavored" just none of the iconic ones. If I want Magneto or Green Goblin or Doctor Doom I have to make them myself. If I want Venom, I would have to reverse-engineer Carnage. It might be easy, it looks like it could very well be very easy, yet it's still so odd.

Edited by Desert Kris