Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Option

Destiny6 Q/A with JPQuinn

9 posts in this topic

Thank you JP for offering to answer some questions. From what I've read online, it sounds like you're a very busy person so I appreciate you taking the time while we wait for March 4th.

To get the ball rolling, I've read that Destiny6 will be your take on the popular Blackmoor D20 setting which had some sci-fi and high tech elements mixed in with the usual fantasy themes. This brought to mind Destiny6's musket-style weapons and airships and got me thinking, what level of technology can we expect to find in Destiny6? Can you tell us if these are two isolated contraptions explained by magic and alchemy or are they examples of a broader "mechanical/tech" theme in the world of Destiny6?

Edited by Option

I've read that Destiny6 will be your take on the popular Blackmoor D20 setting which had some sci-fi and high tech elements mixed in with the usual fantasy themes. This brought to mind Destiny6's musket-style weapons and airships and got me thinking, what level of technology can we expect to find in Destiny6?

While there are going to be some Blackmoor-esque elements and a small homage area in Destiny6, the game is not a d6 take on Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. But you are right, there are some more evolved sci-fi elements in the game: airships, gubnpowder weapons, and trains are the three that come right to mind. But think of these less like a sci-fi element and more like a wild west era element. The Mortal Realm of Destiny6 is a remarkable place full of darkness and gruesome horror around every corner and under every rock. To combat that, the mortal species have developed new technologies to help combat these foes. After all, pistol-wielding airship pirates fighting off a boarding party of daemons over a great chasm that nearly splits the world in two has a certain flavor that makes me smile.

Can you tell us if these are two isolated contraptions explained by magic and alchemy or are they examples of a broader "mechanical/tech" theme in the world of Destiny6?

Firearms are a natural evolution of warafe, much like our own history. Airships are less magical and more a utilization of a unique elemental resource (called "floatstone"). And trains can be either mechanical or magical in origin.

Thank you JP, that airship scene does sound awesome! I have to say that I'm happy to hear that some "technology" will be used in moderation. I think it will add some spice to differentiate Destiny6 from more traditional fantasy settings without going so far as to make the players question whether it's actually a fantasy setting at all.

The Mortal Realm of Destiny6 is a remarkable place full of darkness and gruesome horror around every corner and under every rock.

I keep hearing words like "dark", "gruesome", and "horror" used when talking about Destiny6 and I find that very interesting since such terms are generally not what comes to mind when I think about most fantasy settings. Even though we encountered plenty of zombies, vampires, and flesh-eating slimes when playing D&D, I don't think any of my gaming group would describe the setting that way. This is probably at least partially due to how our group plays but could it also be due to how WotC has presented the material? Maybe I'm just reading too far into a few adjectives but, if this is something you've specifically baked into Destiny6, I'd love to hear your perspective on how to inject some horror into a game/setting.

The dark fantasy theme is definitely hardwired not only into the setting, but also into the system itself. While we do have undead and daemons (we prefer the gothic spelling), they don't carry the theme. Starting in the Core Rulebook, we give the GM the tools needed to run a grim and gritty campaign. Dark fantasy (or horror fantasy) is about sword-swinging warriors and spell-slinging wizards facing what they fear most. It's a psychological trick on the part of the GM. And with Destiny6 and the OpenD6 ruleset we are able to provide a comfortable series of guidelines to support the GM in playing with the psychology of his/her players.

Thank you Jeff, after reading your post and thinking about it a bit more, I’m glad to hear the “horror” in Destiny6 is not solely conveyed by the gruesome monsters you fight against. Zombie apocalypse movies like Dawn of the Dead or Seven Days Later freak me out but that fear comes from more than just the creepy idea of animated corpses that eat people. While that concept is certainly gruesome, what really gets me feeling anxious is the broader theme that the zombie hordes in those movies embody: an inescapable isolating force that slowly and relentlessly wears you down, constricts your options and turns your comrades against you to inevitably and painfully consume your flesh and end your existence. (yikes!) In other words, the themes those zombies personify stir up a lot more fear than the undead creatures themselves.

I’m also very intrigued by the idea that horror is built into the game system as well as the setting. Once again, I might be reading too much into it but that sounds to me like there are actual game mechanics involved. If so, I am very much looking forward to learning more about that.

Additionally, I think it’s awesome that you’re putting in some GM guidance for applying the horror elements to the game. In my limited experience, the GM guidance sections of most core books never go much beyond “give the players some challenges, reward their success, and make sure everyone is having fun.” I’ll mark that up as another item I’m looking forward to reading.

So I guess my next question would be, how does magic fit into the world of Destiny6? Are magic users and items fairly common? Are the town streets lit up every night by magic lamp posts or would a magic amulet be a priceless family heirloom kept secret to protect it and the family? Is magic just another part of life for the inhabitants or is there some level of distrust toward magic (as if it stems from evil sources)?

Edited by Option

Hello! :)

From some of the preview art I seem to remember Panda-men. Which unusual races will be part of the Dolmen World? Also, would you say there are aspects of this setting that makes it ideal as a D6 based world?

-Havard

So I guess my next question would be, how does magic fit into the world of Destiny6? Are magic users and items fairly common? Are the town streets lit up every night by magic lamp posts or would a magic amulet be a priceless family heirloom kept secret to protect it and the family? Is magic just another part of life for the inhabitants or is there some level of distrust toward magic (as if it stems from evil sources)?

Magic is fairly common and many trades use it like a tool. Though not as common as seen in the world of the Harry Potter series.

From some of the preview art I seem to remember Panda-men. Which unusual races will be part of the Dolmen World? Also, would you say there are aspects of this setting that makes it ideal as a D6 based world?

The common species that are found in the Core Rules are: elves, dwarves, humans, beastkin (the panda warrior and other anthromorphic humanoids), dji (an insectoid species that live in airship hives), and the corrupt (a human born with the blood of a daemon in his veins). The flexibility of the d6 system makes utilizing the setting easier. Templating and skill-based checks are simpler in d6 than in most other systems.

As always, thanks for the info Jeff. So it sounds like you've changed the Corrupted from being a condition applicable to any race to a race itself? Also, have the Pure been remove from the game or maybe just moved out of the core book?

Edited by Option