Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JPQuinn

General Design Questions for the New Editors

5 posts in this topic

I have a few publisher-centric questions for the new editors:

1) Will the magazine's layout be portrait or landscape?

2) Will layout for publisher articles be handled by the magazine or the oublisher?

3) Color or greyscale?

Thanks gents!

Portrait will be the layout design.

In terms of the layout of the article, suggestions could be made if something in particular is desired, but otherwise it will be handled by magazine.

Full color is completely fine, but if you want to include greyscale images that is acceptable as well.

If you have a particular "ad" or something of specific design that you want put in, we can work with you on this and possibly put it in exactly how you want it, but it would have to be in portrait design.

Hey. Out of curiosity, what publishing tools will be utilized? I only as in that if Scribus will be in use, I'd love to see the resulting files to learn from them. I have no full ambition to get into layout ; but would love to understand it more, and "write to it" a bit, supplying "copy" that meets the intent of "design" (of course there is a give and take in that).

JPQuinn:

2) Will layout for publisher articles be handled by the magazine or the oublisher?

We will do layout, unless you prefer to do your own. If you are doing your own layout, I can work with InDesign (*.indd) files directly for rendering. Because this bypasses the editors directly, my preference is that you work submissions with them so they can review material and get changes (if any) back to you, and then I will take everything in and process it on WNG's end for laying it all out.

Lubidius:

I am continuing to use a Adobe CS5 suite for doing the layout of the magazine after the editors approve the submissions. Going from InDesign to Scribus is possible, and if you want to get direct access to the InDesign files as they are created, let me know the best email to use for sharing the layouts with you. I will always include the rendered PDF with the InDesign file so you can visually compare it with a conversion. It appears, fter researching a bit, the files I will need to provide are *.eps for pulling them into Scribus. I would be happy to work with you in making this all work smoothly. I do know that Scribus will start crashing at around 100 pages, so if the magazine ever exceed this number of pages it makes sense to divide the layout files up to avoid this from happening in your import process. As well, I would be happy to do with you for d6 Magazine, issue 2 and 3, which were created with InDesign. Issue 1 was created in WinWord before we are Adobe CS5 suite in place.

Some info on doing the conversion: http://blog.sirkevi.com/files/converting_indesign_to_scribus.php

http://www.ehow.com/how_12079760_import-indesign-scribus.html

Best,

- J.