D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
arcgaden

Are you a Steampunk Fan?

I am curious about how many of you consider yourself a Steampunk fan, and whether or not you are interested in or expecting to see anything in particular with Westward?

I can confirm that we will have Steampunk vehicles and mechs. We will have an equivalent Steampunk version of cybernetics, going by a special name. As well, there will even be a walking city Steampunk city. I am VERY interested in hearing what you want to see in a Seatmpunk Western. If you are interested, drop a note.

- J.

Well, we don't exactly have a lot of water to use in Westward (most of the known world is an arid badland), but I'll see what we can come up with... You're talking about the paddle boats I believe. Perhaps I can come up with an iteration of that which works on land or in the air...

- J.

I searched your blog and found this post that gives a description of your world. A possibility is the underground rivers. You could have a kind of steamboat bathysphere/submersible thing going on. All the comfort of a floating hotel that has a paddle, but completely enclosed.

I'm kind of curious, though. The planet is described as being very low on resources. Is all the "steam" power going to come from compression, or will there be actual steam generation? I guess what I'm asking is will you have a majority of your engines be steam turbines or will they be water turbines? Such low plant life and no fossil fuels would make it hard to find burnable material necessary to produce enough steam to power an industrial revolution level of technology.

We are working on something that includes the old mississippi steam/paddle boats as inspiration.

Burning fuel is not the only way to produce heat energy. Westward, while limited in resource (compared to Earth, mind you), and no fossil fuels, does have a unique deposit mineral, not a new element, but a combination of them. This particular mineral forms under the ground. When it is introduced to specific (other) elements, it produces both an intense electrical charge and emits heat energy. Aside from fission/fusion technology, this is the primary source for raising the temperature of water to steam.

Best,

J.