D6 Online 3.0

sorry I haven't passed on my attributes you asked for, but we've moved two states south and we're just about settled. After I get my home library setup, I'll pass along more info.

Other Prime Directive Variants

It has been announced that versions of Prime Directive and related sourcebooks will be released from 2007 on for the D6 role-playing system in order to further expand the potential user base for the role-playing aspect of the Star Fleet Universe..

Wikipedia says that they have already released GURPS and d20 version of Prime Directive, and then has the above info. I know info on Wikipedia is not automatically true, but it makes a lot of sense that there would be an interest in releasing the game on multiple systems, and specifically D6. With the new movie this year, I can see the desire to release another Star Trek RPG.

I want Star Trek on D6. I want it bad. :cool:

The only problem I see with the new movie coming out is that it will likely invalidate nearly every thing we've seen in TOS. That's the problem with "reboots", which the new Star Trek movie is going to be, is that they effectively supercede or change everything created before.

I think if a Star Trek in D6 is made, it'll have to be patterned off something like SFB, as that is a stand alone and seperate entity from the Paramount TOS...and it can "officially" be produced and marketed. Or it would have to be a fan made creation based on TOS and select derivatives (like maybe TAS) and could simply discount things that didn't "fit". Since none of us really know how the new Star Trek movie is going to fit in the overall scheme of things, or whether it'll just wipe everything away and start anew with who-knows-what (from what I've heard this is the more likely case) we don't know whether it would be the better platform for fan-made material or whether it's better to go for TOS material.

Picking up "Prime directive" the RPG in any of its incarnations might help.

There is supposed to a "Prime Directive D6" being made but it is into its 50th or 60th writer since work on the conversion was started about 12 or 15 years ago and thus nobody really expects to ever see the thing get published.

Star Fleet Games still has the D6 Prime Directive listed as if it's still coming. Is this vaporware?

Yep, it's vaporware.

For a bit we had at least a couple of the people who were "working on it" visit this site. It was during various years. Not quite 12 to 15 years ago, but it was at least more than 5 years ago. So if anyone wants a D6 Star Trek, they're going to have to do it themselves.

I used to be ADB's marketing director. One of the people tapped to write the product was my business partner, Scott Palter.

It may someday get done, but there has to be a business case for it. Unfortunately, the business case needs to cover a lot of editorial time and continuity checking, as well as paying the writer for it.

It may someday get done, but there has to be a business case for it.

Prime Directive was an alternate reality to the official Star Trek 23rd century canon. Star Trek (2009), which features a return of the franchise to the 23rd century, is a canon alternate reality to the Prime Reality. Star Trek (2009) is the highest-grossing Trek movie of all-time, with a world-wide theatrical gross of $385,494,555. DVD sales have been very good, as well as many new Trek merchandising deals. The rights to make Prime Directive are permanent, and the D6 System is now completely Open Content for free. The only thing that would need writing is the D6 game mechanics. You may be able to secure cheap to free fan assistance with the editing, continuity checking and slight fine-tuning of the mechanics to the Prime Directive game.

That seems like a good business case for it to me.

Edited by Whill

Prime Directive was an alternate reality to the official Star Trek 23rd century canon. Star Trek (2009), which features a return of the franchise to the 23rd century, is a canon alternate reality to the Prime Reality. Star Trek (2009) is the highest-grossing Trek movie of all-time, with a world-wide theatrical gross of $385,494,555. DVD sales have been very good, as well as many new Trek merchandising deals. The rights to make Prime Directive are permanent, and the D6 System is now completely Open Content for free. The only thing that would need writing is the D6 game mechanics. You may be able to secure cheap to free fan assistance with the editing, continuity checking and slight fine-tuning of the mechanics to the Prime Directive game.

That seems like a good business case for it to me.

Interesting. ROI was only 2:1 for the latest Trek. Star Trek II had closer to 8:1 ROI and if you compare GDE of it vs the latest Trek and scale the amount to account for inflation of the $ since 1982, you get $209 Million for ST2 vs $257 Million for Star Trek (2009). (Star Trek II Only had domestic distribution). If you then scale GDE by the change in population (assuming similar numbers as a % of the population would see it today as did in 1982), then ST II would have had a GDE of $274 Million.

Interesting. ROI was only 2:1 for the latest Trek. Star Trek II had closer to 8:1 ROI and if you compare GDE of it vs the latest Trek and scale the amount to account for inflation of the $ since 1982, you get $209 Million for ST2 vs $257 Million for Star Trek (2009). (Star Trek II Only had domestic distribution). If you then scale GDE by the change in population (assuming similar numbers as a % of the population would see it today as did in 1982), then ST II would have had a GDE of $274 Million.

The success of TWOK is not really that relavant the "business case" for a modern Star Trek RPG, but I enjoy your posts so ok...

As far as comparisons, adjusting the figures for inflation is certainly a valid consideration. ST09 still has a higher adjusted gross domestic earning. And being released worldwide only adds to its overall sucess and ability to create more ST fans and thus more ST-related product customers worldwide, so it doesn't make sense to dismiss foreign money anyway. Net gain in total dollars is also certainly makes sense to consider, but the Return on Investment ratios you provide are basically meaningless to anything practical. Yes, it is true, TWOK cost $11.2 million to make in the early 80s vs. ST09 cost $150 million in recent years. Net in total dollars is much more meaningful than ROI. The bottom line. Based on my quick mental estimation, ST09 still comes out more than $50 million ahead of TWOK looking at worldwide net gain even when adjusting TWOK's net for inflation.

That comparison actually helps the business case for Prime Directive D6 a bit afterall! Thanks Cry.

I think the business issue that he’s talking about is not if the book will sell but who will pay him for his time now.

The rights to make Prime Directive are permanent, and the D6 System is now completely Open Content for free. The only thing that would need writing is the D6 game mechanics. You may be able to secure cheap to free fan assistance with the editing, continuity checking and slight fine-tuning of the mechanics to the Prime Directive game.

I admit that I am only a mere consumer, but I just supplied a possible solution that may not require much money or much of his own time time. If a few people really want to this be made, I think it could happen. But maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps I am being naive and oversimplifying the process of converting an existing game to D6 game mechanics and stats (with no change to the setting fluff text or pics).

Edited by Whill

I admit that I am only a mere consumer, but I just supplied a possible solution that may not require much money or much of his own time time. If a few people really want to this be made, I think it could happen. But maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps I am being naive and oversimplifying the process of converting an existing game to D6 game mechanics and stats (with no change to the setting fluff text or pics).

ADB is a five person company; RPGs are a tertiary business line for them.

They aren't in love with any RPG engine. They figure it's their setting that sells, and the RPG engine gets them a few more additional sales for fans of that engine.

The book has to generate enough sales to justify the time spent in A) paying the writer to write it and B) paying someone in the office to proofread it and lay it out, including C) learning enough of D6 to understand what the heck is going on with the stats. They will not trust a writer to do this who doesn't already 'know and love' their setting, and none of the staff in the office 'gets' RPGs.

That being said, feel free to offer to pick up the project; email design@starfleetgames.com and say you'd be interested in doing the conversion. Don't mention me or my products.

Now, now, you're just setting him up for ol' SVC to shoot him down. Ol' king Cole probably needs to "know" the person writing the D6 version of Prime Directive. I doubt he'd even remember me, as I quit his discussion board several years ago. So while I "know and love" the setting, I wouldn't wish it on anyone to have to work with SVC.

Why don't you give it a shot again, now that OpenD6 is a reality. He knows you (unless you've burned your bridge there) and you know the setting and you're getting more and more versed with D6. ;)

Now, now, you're just setting him up for ol' SVC to shoot him down. Ol' king Cole probably needs to "know" the person writing the D6 version of Prime Directive. I doubt he'd even remember me, as I quit his discussion board several years ago. So while I "know and love" the setting, I wouldn't wish it on anyone to have to work with SVC.

Why don't you give it a shot again, now that OpenD6 is a reality. He knows you (unless you've burned your bridge there) and you know the setting and you're getting more and more versed with D6. ;)

I have too many projects on my plate at the moment as it is, and as soon as one or two of them clear off, there are others that are going to come in.

Now, now, you're just setting him up for ol' SVC to shoot him down... So while I "know and love" the setting, I wouldn't wish it on anyone to have to work with SVC.

Grimace, thanks for saving me from getting shot down!