D6 Online 3.0
Grimace

So what's up with people?

I have to ask this, as I'm finding more and more people are visiting, saying nothing, and moving on;or simply not visiting anymore.

Are people playing or using other game systems instead of D6/OpenD6?

Are people not playing games anymore?

Do people not want to post here?

Do people not like any of the OpenD6 material being put out?

The number of active people on this site has been dwindling, and I'm not sure if people are just busy with real life, moving on to other games, or moving on to other sites.

Why is it people aren't using OpenD6, or playing OpenD6? Why are people not talking about OpenD6?

What needs to be done to both bring people back to OpenD6 AND get people to talk about OpenD6?

I haven't been able to game much of late - outside of the monthly Call of Cthulhu game I'm a player in, anyway - but Open D6 (especially Mini Six) still has my eye. I'm actually running a Mini Six game (supplemented by stuff from D6 Adventure) this Friday with some folks who are in town for the holiday. It's a straight up WWII Commandos-In-North-Africa right after Operation Torch thing. It'll be a total one-off, I'm afraid, but it's something. :)

Hello! Thanks to your question I've decided to join. I am guilty of lurking, and playing another system. But D6 has been a secret love of mine since I found the D6 System softcover at Walden Books around '96.

I'm looking to restart a Star Trek Campaign, and I am torn...if I switch systems my wife might quit gaming, but we have not played in about six months and she admits to not being real clear about the rules I've been using, so I may use this opportunity to switch to D6 Space. My FLGS had a grand opening and one of the games featured was WEG's Star Wars...she played it and loved it, as did I...it was my first playing experience with the D6 rules in actual play, and I must admit, it was a blast!

I appreciate this forum, and look forward in participating in the community as time allows.

My gaming groups have taken a break from playing Star Wars D6. One campaign will start up again after the new year and with the other group, folks wanted to try out other systems. One of my players was really enjoying the campaign, but we can't seem to convince the others to come back to it.

For me, there just hasn't been that much to talk about on the forums... folks have their adventure ideas and such, but I already have my campaigns well in hand, so that kind of material just isn't as applicable.

As to the other OpenD6 stuff, since my group was introduced to D6 via Star Wars, they tend to only think of D6 in those terms.

It's also the holiday season, so my gaming groups in general have been meeting less frequently.

A "break-out" publisher who supports OpenD6 would go a long way towards reviving the system. Customers want to know that their game is "supported" with regular releases of material and rules updates. (aka the system is not "dead") Most of us here know that this is just a perception, but it is a powerful one in terms marketing and customer relations.

I have also noticed the number of posts has declined over the last several months. I'm predominantly interested in Star Wars D6. So a topic on that is more likely to promote comment from me. Typically I check the site a couple times a day, but I haven't seen much to comment on (Star Wars or otherwise) of late.

I was excited at the idea of Open D6, but my interest and hope is waning. I've been involved in the D6 Magazine, which has generated very little buzz. We've only seen one really hobby-store-shelf-quality item go to print, and that's Azamar. I bought a copy to support the cause and to get an eye full of what's new on the D6 scene. However, no one is really talking about or seems to be playing it.

I still love D6. I'm still running a game based on my own home-made Fantasy setting. There's talk of doing a D6 paranormal investigation game after we're done with the fantasy campaign.

Really, there doesn't seem to be a lot of fan demand out there without a recognizable product.

In my drive-bys I sometimes bust out my gat and rat-tat-tat-tat some spammers. :cool:

I find that I often have more to say when replying to posts by Grimace, Rerun, Bren, Cheshire and Lee Torres.

Señor Torres, te echo de menos mi amigo!

I look into the forum every day but seldom find subjects I am interested in. The way D6 has developed is really interesting but my topic is settings not rules and there I am more interested in Torg, Bloodshadows, FoA and Aden than in the new D6 settings. And there is not much happening about those.

Cheshire, if you are looking for a good paranormal D6 setting try Into the Shadows.

I got it from the resources here, it is a really good starting point.

On the other note, I am still very much involved in D6. In my home-life. But as far as looking for products, I mean honestly... For me WEG seems to have covered mostly everything ;P. But that is just my opinion.

I would love to see a good fantasy systemtruly get loot, magic, and "class" right... In a way with D6. I am always trying to design one myself and then starting from scratch when I get frustrated ;P.

My group has been playing it for the past few years, but we took a break starting about a month ago. We will switch back to Mini Six in the spring.

Yeah, but the primary GM in your group is a little flaky. Who knows what that clown is dreaming up next.

I, for one, have been focusing almost entirely on OD6 for the past few years. I was working on my own system for a long time but after discovering D6, i'm on board 100%.

This Tuesday my group and I will actually be starting up a 'weird west' sort of game. It should be pretty awesome. We're also looking to make it into a 'podcast' ... I hate the term 'podcast' ...

I don't post much simply because i'm not much of a talker, lol. I do come to the forums often though (every day) because this place is a tremendous resource and you guys are all a fantastic help with any questions people may have! If I'm to be make a lift of things i'm great-full for, for thanksgiving, you guys and this forum is one them.

I don't see why anyone would move onto another system. I love OD6 for the fact that I can take any setting and place it here near perfectly. And if not perfectly, than with simple twists which makes it my own.

Not to be a downer but, this industry as a whole has been in a huge decline for quite some time, right? Card games, role playing, miniature gaming, board gaming, ... at least from my experience it's all fading away. Here where I live I've tried to game with a number of small groups but it always tends to drop into video games, movies, alcohol, ... Maybe we're just getting older and our culture tells us that when we get older we can't be playing games like this, we're supposed to be 'watchin the game' and emotionally abusing our families. What has helped me is to set up groups at youth organizations (ymca, local library) where these people need human contact and that their imagination isn't something to be ashamed of. It's a huge topic...

I just wanted to report in that my mostly-Mini Six-based WWII game went off without a hitch last night. Three of the players were entirely new to D6 games (long-term RPGers all, though) and despite my poor approach to explaining the pips/dice division, they all got on board pretty quickly. There were a few stunning dice explosions that made everyone happy and a couple of fumbles that led to some enjoyable moments. In the end, the scruffy & shady soldiers of November Company succeeded in blowing up the Nazi airstrip & fuel dump hidden deep within the Tunisian desert, making it possible for the Allies to begin their post Operation Torch advance under better conditions.

If this group could get together more often than once a year I feel pretty confident that Open D6/Mini Six would continue to be actively enjoyed. Stupid adulthood, causing many of us to live so far apart! :)

Man this thread gives me a feeling of melancholy. I felt it when I joined the forum, and posted some things here and there with a lot of enthusiasm. Then I felt the desolation catch up with me.

Never mind. I've still been keeping active. When I started to gear up for all things D6, it occurred to my that I might need a new notebook (I was worried about redundancy, given how many other notebooks I have devoted to specific areas of writing interest). Turns out it was a good decision to allocate a new notebook just for D6 gaming; it's been one of my fastest growing notebooks.

I've transcribed D6/Masterbook conversion rules, and used these to convert Indiana Jones templates, and jotted down some ideas for a sustained IJ ongoing RPG story. I've collected some Alien/Aliens gaming stats off of a D6 site. I have notes for G.I. Joe for development focus, and write-ups for Serpentor (minus Air Chariot) and the generic Cobra Trooper.

I have some generic information translated from Dungeons and Dragons, which gave me a warm-up for some of the Eberron translations. Human, Dwarf, Elf and Halfling traits translated; also a handful of Classes have been translated. Splice one of each together, and I can have a template. Weapons and Armor are translated (the Masterbook/D6 conversion document was helpful with this, with comparisons to the D6 Fantasy book). I have Orcs, Goblins, Ogres, Small Skeletons, and your average human bandit translated to give a selection of generic starting monster to throw at characters. Eberron translations aren't too extensive, just Racial characteristics for Changelings and War-Forged, and notes for the Artificer Class. I could probably manage well with the Eberron setting information at this point.

I haven't done number crunching for it, but I became obsessive over the past months with The Masters of the Universe franchise. Watching the 2002 version of the show, and the New Adventures from 1989 (surprisingly good, after accepting certain changes it really has a vibrancy in bringing new story material to the franchise), also I've been delving into the mini-comics that came with the action figures in the early 1980's which offer a totally different way to look at Masters of the Universe; taking notes all the way. As I said, I obsess. It's provided great inspiration, though. Between this and G.I. Joe and Transformers (another franchise in the back of my mind to adapt) I've come to think of the D6 system (or any effect RPG system) as a different way to play with toys. I don't have the actual toys, but by creating a write up for characters, in a way those become the toys. And toys are just a device for creating and running through narratives, like RPGs. I've had a lot of fun writing up a new setting that fits into The Masters of the Universe franchise, and allows for a whole new set of toys to be created and played with.

The sad thing is, I'm very much a game master with no players. I've run a few mini-sessions with a friend, but it's like pulling teeth trying to engage him, I can't get a reading on his enthusiasm at all. I have another friend who encourage me often to GM in the past, but I missed the boat; he's says he's a control freak nowadays and would be uncomfortable outside of his own GMing role. My own interest in 80's cartoons specifically is a source of uncertainty, enough years up or down from me and they don't resonate with others the way they do with me. Or maybe I'm rationalizing myself into anxiety about it. I'm very shy. I'm sure there are solutions to this; I just can't help feeling like I don't have an outlet for this stuff. I keep plugging away at it, without knowing if it will be used at all.

I thank those of you who have posted. It seems that there are a few, at least, who still have interest in the system but just don't post much. Only one person touched upon my last question. What do we need to do to get people interested in and talking about OpenD6? Yes, most of you guys still have interest in it, but what do we need to do to get more people back here and more people interested in OpenD6? Yes, gaming in general is on the downturn. I understand that. What do we need to do to get some of the younger generation interested in OpenD6? Can someone create an app for that? ;)

Really, I think there's so much more to offer with this system. Settings are ripe for exploration. Optional rules can and should be presented to let people know what the D6 system can actually do. I'm really just looking for people's ideas on what can be done to inject a bit more life and enthusiasm back into OpenD6.

Grimace, I believe that you're probably on the right track as far as how to prompt interest in OpenD6 with your "Quick Hits" line. I suspect if you pursued some of the ideas that you've mentioned here, adapting OpenD6 or a version thereof to popular settings like G.I. Joe, or something along those lines you'd see an upsurge as we did when Mini Six hit. I think the challenge is making it, as a total package, relevant to contemporary gamers that might have strayed off after Savage Worlds, Ubiquity, Fate, ORE, and extremely simple notions like Lady Blackbird. But I think if that relevance is hit on, and something appealing to a multitude appeared, then the buzz would increase. Then, and not trying to sound negative, all we'd need to do was repeat the process over and over, once every four to six months. Much longer than that and what I euphemistically call the "Magpie Effect" arrives, and the next shiny thing out of the pipeline exerts a magnetic effect on the player base and the rebuilding must start anew. We strike while the iron is hot and keep striking. White Wolf went on for years with this; when Vampire started to fade, they launched Werewolf, when that started to fade, they launched another. They started to fade away somewhat when they slowed down their innovation, post Exalted. They're still pretty big, but nothing like they were in the early nineties.

Anyway, that's my .20 cents (adjusted for inflation).

Señor Whill, te echo de menos tambien!

Edited by Lee Torres

Well, as an activist, I'm always working towards introducing people to new ideas and my gaming over the years hasn't been an exception at all. If I find a game shop, i'll hop in there and see what they have, if it's nothing I like, I'm relatively pushy on them getting in new stuff! Finding places with youth gaming groups and introducing them to OD6 would be a fantastic way to get word out about the system or starting your own youth group. Most sub-divisions, small towns, apartment complexes have a commons area or club house that's just begging to be used for social gatherings. It doesn't take much to type up a simple flyer and take your walk around the neighborhood calling out for gamers to come and play. Of course you want to make a direct connection with parents so they feel comfortable with the group and hopefully even they will join in (great way to meet singles as well, ahem).

The idea of an app is totally there! If I knew programming, i'd be on top of it in a heart beat! I'm actualy currently in the process of making a bunch of spreadsheets to automate a lot of the design stuffs (spells, ships, characters...) but, to have that in an app (android please!) would be fantastic! I'd hop on board a creative team for such a project instantly if we could get some coders to pick it up as a little creative commons non-profit side project. -) I'm sick of searching the app market and only finding stuff for d*gags*20 and WoD. Even if it were just a die roller, hell i'd pay $.99 for that! ... I haven't found one yet that supports the Wild Die...

A complete setting that isn't too niche. Something capable of appealing to a mass audience. Personally, I think a fully fleshed-out fantasy milieu, with traditional elements coupled with some unique twists would do the trick. Well-structured layout and writing, with attractive artwork. Polished and complete, in both setting and rules. A game ready to go.

THEN -- distribution. Get it on the shelves or on e-commerce sites. Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, and definitely local game shops. If there's any money to be spent toward marketing, the better. Posters at game shops. On-line ads.

Lulu.com is a self-publishing site where you can get a free ISDN number, and an inexpensive distribution setup that gets the product out there. But the marketing will have to be pushed. Again, I would think game shops, book stores, and on-line ads.

Get people talking and word of mouth ignites. If that cool ass game with a compelling setting happens to have an OpenD6 logo on the book -- blam.

But with OpenD6, people still want some direction. Most gamers don't just want a toolbox. The game needs a flagship product.

My 2 cents.

I've got to agree with this; whether it is a licensed property or an original setting, I think one of the weaknesses we're dealing with right now is a lack of a compelling setting to draw in new interest. Mini Six has done well with their settings in the book, and some of those have developed fan followings. I've also heard some positive feedback on Azamar's setting. Going forward, I think there should be at least one main fantasy setting, one primary science fiction setting, and so on, ideally ones that have enough original "wow-factor" to garner interest.

All of the optional rules in the world can only steer the player-base toward something; a good set of superhero rules and fantasy rules might drive some to run Exalted with D6, for instance, but I think the ideal would be to have everything in one package, so for a relatively low buy-in an interested buyer could get everything they need to realize fantastic adventures.

Fantasy is always the biggest hit for RPGs. Maybe because D&D was first, maybe because we all love knights and wizards and tales of daring due. The hardest part of fantasy is coming up with something both different enough to attract attention while also staying close enough to the roots of the common tropes of the genre that it isn't seen as too niche. But I am coming to the conclusion that the easiest way to do it is to simply develop a setting you like and really have a passion about. That passion will show through and if it is done well, it will develop an attraction.

I also love the idea of a good sci-fi setting. The thing with Sci-Fi is that D6 started out there. Star Wars and by extension Space Opera is what our beloved system was built upon. What makes many sad is that we can't continue to develop that line under the original IP anymore. But to me that is okay. Because when you listen to many talk about it, there were as many of us playing a version of Traveller as there were noble rebels fighting the good fight. In my own doodlings on Mini Six I have toyed with attempting to develop a mini setting involving the United Planetary Alliance made up of hundreds of races under one common banner who send out ships of exploration and defense to find new worlds and seek out new civilizations, bravely traveling where no sentient has gone before.

What type of sci-fi to go for in the end though? I kind of like the idea of the Traveller model to some degree. A broad sandbox of options. You can be smugglers and traders skirting along the Outer Rim trying to make your way without to much involvement from the Core Worlds. Maybe you prefer a more militant game and take on the roll of fighter pilots along the Border fending off aliens who prefer to conquer instead of ally with the Galactic Confederation while also trying to stop pirates and smugglers from stealing supplies needed desperately on isolated worlds. Or perhaps you think a game of noble intrigue is preferred and everyone takes on the position of Founding House of the Core Worlds. Finding themselves entwined in politics and plotting in a world of stratified nobility under a vineer of civilized formality that hides treacherous savagery. And if you want a mystic order of knights or prophets with access to powers few still understand, well that could easily be built into it as well.

The thing is I guess, I love our little sand box and tool kit, you can really do all sorts of fun things with the Open-D6 rules. I would love to see some more ideas developed by people and find out what new and interesting things they can come up with.

Sorry to have rambled on here. I can tend to wax on a bit about all the things I can easily see being done with Open-D6.

I recently moved and when I did I found notes my friends and I came up with for a strange little fantasy game using the old Star Wars rules from like 9 years ago. It featured races like wolfmen and minotaurs set against a vaguely viking culture and environment while adapting the old Force Rules to use as the foundations of the magic system. Just made me remember again how nice and flexible our beloved system is.

I guess I'm thinking a bit more 'grass roots'.

I don't have the inside scoop but, although some companies out there (Palladium, White Wolf, ...) are still publishing stuff, how are their numbers? Are they gaining new fans or are the old fans the ones keeping them kicking? I may be just a 'negative nancy' but, I have a feeling their new customers aren't very many. So, for someone of us to attempt to release a new setting utilizing OD6 and selling it to shops for others to buy, I just don't think it's going to help much. There are a few small companies on here that have released original settings, right? Dolmen World, Blue Max Studios...has your stuff sold or downloaded well?

I think that more than a new setting or product, we need to share with people the idea of story telling itself. It's obviously fading away as our technical reality separates us on one level but brings us closer together on another, the joy of sharing your imagination with another person is what needs to be spread.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Wicked North!

Edited by Tyrae Clouds

I can tend to wax on a bit about all the things I can easily see being done with Open-D6.

Just FYI: Technically and officially, it's OpenD6. Sans hyphen.

It would seem that there's a bit of a "Catch 22" presented here. In order to get people interested, we need someone to produce an item that really grabs people and will continue to be supported. However, in order to someone to put out something that will really grab people and will continue to be supported, there needs to be enough interested people to make it worthwhile and to attract the talent that can put out that material.

In some ways, I certainly agree that the push needs to start out as the more "grass roots" version that Tyrae mentions. Too often these days I'm finding that the few people that DO still use D6, or that still have an interest in D6, don't really talk about it. Either people feel that they've already talked about it, or that there's nothing of interest to talk about, it's the same result. Without the few of us that are still interested in the system talking about it and telling others about it, and bringing up topics in here about what they think would be worthwhile conversations, we just end up with a relatively quiet discussion board and no new people coming here to find out what's new with D6.

Think of it...what other site is there on the internet that focuses solely on the D6 (OpenD6) system and has a discussion board where people can express their interests/thoughts/wants/needs/questions/comments? This is basically the starting point for any public growth of interest in D6. If we can't generate interest in people, if we can't come up with material on our own that can draw people out to talk about it, then we will never end up with some stellar publication that draws flocks of new gamers to the system. We need to start by drawing GMs back to or into the system. We need to start getting comments on the little bit of work that IS being done for OpenD6 so people know if they should continue with what they're doing or start with something new.

Blue Max Studios is putting out material, and there's almost no comments about their material...good, neutral or bad. The same goes for Wicked North Games with their material. And my material. Are we to assume that none of that material is igniting the fire of interest in the few fans of the system? If it's not, what needs to be done to make it more interesting, or what should we be putting out to make it more interesting? If the material IS good, why aren't people talking about it on this site, or mentioning it to their gaming friends, or spreading the word on the internet?

We've had a small wave of OpenD6 material get put out there, and the chatter on this site -THE site of OpenD6- has been very sparse. Even if people put it nicely that we "missed the mark" for X reason, or that Y setting just isn't the setting they're looking for, it would give people an idea. Then maybe someone would have a much better idea of what sort of thing would really invigorate GMs to use the OpenD6 system, which would then get more players into the system. It all starts with each one of us talking about this system, talking about what we want to see, and getting others to notice and maybe talk about the system as well. How many gamers out there probably think that the D6 system is dead? How many people think that the D6 system is still linked to West End Games and since WEG is defunct the system is defunct?

We need to get people to realize the system isn't dead, that the system can be used for a variety of settings, NOT just Star Wars or space opera settings. We need to get people to realize that there's a small, but still present, group of D6ers that ARE putting out material for the system, and we need to get our own fans of the system to talk more about the system or the products being put out so those of us that are doing said products know what the fans want.