D6 Online 3.0
pwcroft

Adventure Idea — Feedback?

I've brainwashed my 11-year old daughter into loving Star Wars. She's wicked smart, so I thought it time to introduce her to Star Wars D6. My wife might be playing at some point in the future — probably after she sees how much fun we're having. For now, we'll be solo-adventuring. So, I've been brainstorming about the campaign opening. I don't need anything too elaborate, as this is just the first adventure.

For my purposes, I'm referring to an adventure as an episode, which is broken into acts and scenes. The first adventure is Episode I: Mos Eisley Mischief. I'm using the Mos Eisley Galaxy Guide and A New Hope sourcebook for setting material. The time-frame is about three months after the Battle of Yavin.

She's already created her character. As an infant, she was discovered by Jawas in an escape pod that had crashed in the Dune Sea. She was raised by a Jawa named Aguilae who now runs Jawa Traders in Mos Eisley. In addition to working on Aguilae's Droids for room and board, she's begun stealing and pickpocketing in hopes of someday leaving Tatooine. Her character, Sumi, is 14.

So, the first episode...

I'd like to get her caught up in a mystery of some sort. With, of course, the standard Star Wars fare of chase scenes and other action.

Maybe Aguilae is waiting on a shipment of new Droids, but the freighter captain hasn't shown up on schedule. Aguilae sends Sumi to the Cantina to find out what happened. He tells her not to return without the Droids.

Perhaps on the way she witnesses a swoop gang harassing an alien kid. If she successfully rescues him, the kid will feel indebted. Chase scene? His father was recently killed in a deal gone bad, and he is now homeless. He's a rough type, but not too bright.

The Cantina will have a variety of things going on that may prompt different scenes, but the central thread is that she will overhear some guys talking about the Droid shipment of Captain So-And-So. The essence of the conversation being that the Captain was killed by a bounty hunter and his Droid cargo confiscated. He mentions a docking bay where the murder went down, but Sumi can't hear which docking bay number.

She can confront one of the guys in the conversation for more information, which may involve coughing up some credits or smooth talking. She might inquire around town, too. Either way, it should involve some RP'ing to find out which docking bay.

Docking Bay 94 (the De Maals) was the site of the murder. If she sneaks into the bay, she might overhear the De Maals talking explicitly about the bounty hunter's identity. If she outright asks the De Maals anything, they will not offer any information out of fear of reprisal. One of the street urchins in the alleyway, however, will cough up information on the bounty hunter for the right price.

Note: Paying credits for info may require Sumi to steal, which may or may not get her into trouble with the local police. This could be a scene unto itself, possibly involving a jail break.

The bounty hunter, she eventually discovers, hangs out at the Lucky Despot. He actually works for Valarian — who put the bounty on the Captain's head. Valarian confiscated the Droids, and has them at the Lucky Despot.

I haven't clarified how that will work out yet, but potentially involving a break-in of the Lucky Despot to retrieve the Droids. We'll see.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I like what you have so far. Is Sumi a human?

Is the rescued alien kid the son of the Captain of the Bounty Hunter? If yes, then he could be a source for clues about the droid shipment and the cargo bay location.

Even if he isn't the son of the bounty hunter's kill, he may have seen something or have some information that would help Sumi find the shipment.

Is the kid intended to be a long term NPC? The kid may want to get revenge on his father's killer. This could lead back to the bounty hunter.

Considering that Sumi is only 14, you could provide a challenge that she can't legally enter the Cantina (too young)... so maybe she has to disguise herself as a Jawa (or other short alien) to get in and get the info that she needs. Or she'll have to find another way to sneak into the Cantina and/or find out about the missing freighter captain.

You see, this is why I come to you people. :)

I like what you have so far. Is Sumi a human?

Thank you. Yes, she's human.

Is the rescued alien kid the son of the Captain of the Bounty Hunter? If yes, then he could be a source for clues about the droid shipment and the cargo bay location.

Even if he isn't the son of the bounty hunter's kill, he may have seen something or have some information that would help Sumi find the shipment.

Is the kid intended to be a long term NPC? The kid may want to get revenge on his father's killer. This could lead back to the bounty hunter.

I hadn't thought of that angle. Thought provoking. But it does change the course of events, me thinks.

Aguilae should direct Sumi to Bay 94, right off the bat. As that's typically where the captain docks. But the De Maals won't let Sumi in, nor the captain's son if he should return with her later. They aren't giving any info.

Sumi could break into the bay and get some clues via overhearing a conversation between the De Maals, or smooth talking a Droid who works in the bay. Either way, someone will explain that the captain returned from the cantina at blaster-point, was killed, provide a description of the bounty hunter, and mention that "someone else" had later ordered the cargo unloaded.

Sumi will run into the alien kid the first time she leaves Bay 94 (via the swoop gang scene). If Sumi has failed to get any info about the bounty hunter, the alien kid will suggest breaking into the bay.

NOTE: The alien kid had gone looking for his dad, the captain, after he failed to come back to the docked ship. He tried looking into the cantina, but they wouldn't let him in because of his age — but that's where his dad usually goes for his business. He returned to Bay 94 later to discover he was locked out, and has been wandering the streets ever since.

If Sumi doesn't figure it out, the alien kid will drop suggestions, like "I sure wish we could get in that cantina. That place is full of bad men. Somebody has to know this bounty hunter."

The cantina is where they'll find out about the bounty hunter and his employer, Valarian.

And I totally dig Rerun's suggestion about disguising herself, or sneaking into, the cantina to get the info. I'll definitely use it!

NOTE: The alien kid had gone looking for his dad, the captain, after he failed to come back to the docked ship. He tried looking into the cantina, but they wouldn't let him in because of his age — but that's where his dad usually goes for his business. He returned to Bay 94 later to discover he was locked out, and has been wandering the streets ever since.

If Sumi doesn't figure it out, the alien kid will drop suggestions, like "I sure wish we could get in that cantina. That place is full of bad men. Somebody has to know this bounty hunter."

Not sure if you intend the alien kid (needs a species) to know that his dad is dead or to only think his dad is missing. If the former, he might more problematically say about the cantina - "That place is full of bad men. One of them probably killed my dad. Let's go check."

Giving your daughter's character the opportunity to notice that the NPC may be heading them both towards trouble and either going along with that or having her PC try to head off the trouble.