D6 Online 3.0
pwcroft

More precise timeline for Episodes IV - VI?

I know the total time span is about 3 years -- but does anyone have a breakdown of events in a more precise time span?

From The Star Wars Adventure Journal and Star Wars Insider:

SW4 - 0:3:3-6 (ANH takes place over the course of days 3-6 of the third month of the year of the Battle of Yavin)

SW5 - 3:6:6-10 (TESB takes place 3 years and 3 months later)

That's the films themselves, but I don't have a precise breakdown of EU events in between. As Chesire said there are timelines out there, but not all events have been pinned down to precise days or even months.

From The Star Wars Adventure Journal and Star Wars Insider:

SW4 - 0:3:3-6 (ANH takes place over the course of days 3-6 of the third month of the year of the Battle of Yavin)

Hey, Whill. I'm a bit slow this morning — what do those numbers mean? Are those date formats?

From the look of it, the formula is:

Year:Month:Day

So the first is 0 year, 3rd month, days 3 through 6

Second is 3rd year, 6th month, days 6 through 10.

I think I'm going to fudge my campaign timeline to stretch the events of Episodes IV-VI over the span of 8 years. I'm fond of that era, and want to give the players plenty of time to enjoy it.

Hey, Whill. I'm a bit slow this morning — what do those numbers mean? Are those date formats?

From the look of it, the formula is:

Year : Month : Day

So the first is 0 year, 3rd month, days 3 through 6

Second is 3rd year, 6th month, days 6 through 10.

Yes, Grimace is correct. I'm sorry that my parenthetical description was not more clear. Here is RotJ (only has year:month, exact dates not known):

SW6 - 4:3

I think I'm going to fudge my campaign timeline to stretch the events of Episodes IV-VI over the span of 8 years. I'm fond of that era, and want to give the players plenty of time to enjoy it.

All GMs should do whatever works best for you and your game. According to official EU canon, with the recent change of those dates being maintained while the calendar was updated from a 10-month year to a 12-month year, there is only 9 months in between TESB and RotJ making the classic trilogy almost exactly 4 years total.

For my game. I've kept the 10-month system (which was introduced by WEG). The canon time between the sequels was too short for me too, so for my timeline I've increased it to slightly over 2 full years, which makes the classic trilogy over 5.3 years in my game. I've also added 3 years total in between AotC and ANH, which brings my full Star Wars Saga (I-VI) up to about 40.2 years.

I would say if MASH could run for longer than the Korean War, then no one is going to bat an eye at your campaign making the Rebellion Era longer than it was in the books.

Back in the 1990s and early 00s we played Star Wars for about 10 hours a week for 10 years in the real world. In game we went about 3 years 4 months. Given the fast travel times in the movies combined with an assumption of readily available medpacs and the odd dip in a bacta tank, it is very feasible to run more that one adventure per in-game week. You may need to loosen up on training time requirements if you don't want to slow character growth due to training times or just decide to have slower character progression.

Also nothing wrong with extending the Rebellion time frame. After all in the real world we had to wait 3 years between Yavin and Hoth and 3 more years between Hoth and Endor. Unless the PCs are frequently interacting with the movie characters how crucial is the 'official' timeline anyway?

For a great resource for time lines you can check out either the Essential Star Wars Atlas or grab the current novels, they've put a chronology of the novels in them for some time now iirc!

I would say if MASH could run for longer than the Korean War, then no one is going to bat an eye at your campaign making the Rebellion Era longer than it was in the books.

Well that is a different mechanism than what the OP is asking. The producers of M*A*S*H were not suggesting that the TV series takes place in an alternate reality in which the Korean War lasted 11 years. The series was presented as if the 251 episodes of the show took place over the course of the real-world 3 years of that war. (I'm not saying that presentation was entirely convincing though.)

Bren mentioned the feasibility of cramming RPG continuity into the official Star Wars timeline as is (not unlike M*A*S*H), but also agreed with many of us that there is nothing wrong with actually extending the timeline if the GM wants to go in that direction. As I mentioned in another thread, even if you wished to uphold movie canon, the only time interval that is fairly explicit in the films is between Episodes I and II. If your game is set during the classic trilogy and/or you don't care about prequel canon, then that interval may not even be important to you.

8 years between Episodes IV and VI is too much time for me personally, but if that makes sense to you with respect to your own Star Wars Universe, then I say go for it. No GM should feel limited by EU or even film canon if it gets in the way of a good time. Afterall, it's your Star Wars Universe.

Unless the players are actually going to participate directly in the events of the movies, then there really isn't a reason to extend the time between them. The Galaxy is a HUGE place with tons of possibilities for adventures. Even with the Emperor and his right hand dead at the end of the 6th episode, there is still tons for the Rebellion to do before they could take back the whole galaxy from all the various warlords. Plus you have the rise of the Second Empire (Dark Empire comics) and such...