D6 Online 3.0

Grimace    14

I was considering putting out some relatively quick PDF "quick" adventures. Basically some really short adventure ideas that presents a situations, maybe a couple quick NPCs, some quick, necessary equipment, and that's about it. Nothing real fancy, but maybe something that can help spark some new ideas for what people can play/run using D6.

So far I've got an idea for a western, a horror, a pulp adventure, and a post apocolyptic.

Do you guys have any suggestions for some quick adventure ideas you'd like to see? Settings, time periods, or general adventure types are welcome suggestions.

I'm going to keep things pretty basic when it comes to stats. Very trimmed down so people can use whatever version of OpenD6 they want to use with it.

Now's the time to throw out some ideas of small adventures you'd like to see. Remember, these are going to be "quick" adventures, so they won't be super detailed. Lend me your thoughts!

Mangus    10

Have you checked out the One Page Dungeon Contest that has been going on for a few years now? Basically, the idea is to present a fully fleshed out adventure, including maps and encounters, all on a single sheet of paper. It is a very cool idea, and works very well in play because all the information the GM needs is right there on one sheet. I was a judge this past year, and a contestant in 2010. My entry was called Raid on Black Goat Wood, and I won "Best Cthulhu" for that year's contest. Anyway, I think this format would work great for what you have in mind. Take a look, and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Grimace    14

I had heard of the one page dungeon contest. I've never looked at it, but I will check it out for some ideas. As for the Mini Six...that was kind of what I was thinking of emulating, as I found those to be pretty good "brain food". Not only could you run something with it, but it also provided a bit of food for thought for future adventures in the particular setting. I was thinking more in terms of true "adventures" rather than just setting intros, but the idea is similar.

Thanks for the link to look at, and if you have any ideas for adventures, also feel free to mention them. :)

Mangus    10
Thanks for the link to look at, and if you have any ideas for adventures, also feel free to mention them. :)

No problem. When I read your post the first thing I considered was presentation and format of the adventures. I am sure I will have some ideas for adventures once I get a chance later on this weekend.

Whill    10

Grimace, I love your work and I'd love to see some D6 adventures from you. But I don't have any thoughts or ideas on that, so I have nothing costructive to contribute to this thread at this time. Sorry.

Lee Torres    10

It might be interesting to see settings like you suggest with sufficient rules additions to support them - a post-apocalypse setting could range from a hardcore "Twilight: 2000" kind of setting all the way to really over the top gonzo stuff like Gamma World, so it could feasibly be a multitude of mini settings; same with old West; you could go from historical American West to Steampunk and shamanistic magic like Deadlands.

I'd mentioned to you my interest in historical settings before, so something in the Age of Fighting Sail or thereabouts would be good, and World War One as well as World War Two would be welcome, although I've done some of the work adapting from GURPS WWII already, I wouldn't turn my nose up at having more!

Mangus    10
Agreed! Other than a nitpick about the margins being too big, great stuff. Excellent content!

Chalk up another "agreed!" Great content, and well worth the download. Thanks for sharing this!

Grimace    14

Anyone had a chance to look at this second Quick hit? Yes, I know I couldn't fix the borders quite enough. The program I use is taking a little bit of getting used to. Let me know what you guys think.

Bren    10
Issue two of Quick Hits is up!

Check out the new installment...this one deals with adventures during the Boxer Rebellion!

Holding-Back-the-Red-Turbans.pdf

I've long thought the Boxer Rebellion was an interesting setting. A recent Call of Cthulhu scenario I ran in 1926 Shanghai reminded me of the earlier events so thanks for this. I may have to work something like this into a CoC time travel adventure.

Lubidius    10

Extremely (not strong enough word) well done Grimace. I really like this one. I think you hit the nail squarely with this statement in your intro "It should also give you an idea of the various games you could run using the OpenD6 game system." I think your quick hits are showcasing the system very nicely; in particular it's flexibility.

Edited by Lubidius

Grimace    14

If you guys wouldn't mind, please spread the word if you like the Quick Hits. They're free for people to use and share and get people to see more about OpenD6. And thanks for the comments.

Grimace    14

So now that people have seen what I have in mind for the Quick Hits, are there any particular settings or time periods you would like to see in future Quick Hits?

I can't guarantee I'd be able to fulfill them, but I may be able to put out a couple of them.

Lee Torres    10

Really excellent work on these; only thing (and it's a quibble) is that it seems like maybe the fonts aren't embedding correctly? The layout is appealing, but seeing the Quick Hits logo in Arial seems a little jarring given the rest of the presentation.

To your last question, I'd like to see four eras; the American Civil War, World War Two, Vietnam, and the War on Terror in Iraq or Afghanistan. Any of those would make me giddy. Which may be enough reason not to do them, but hey, free giddy person is motivation for some.

Grimace    14

Yes, I have had some difficulty getting the fonts to imbed correctly so they show up. Not sure which illuminati group I have to pay off to get the fonts to stick.

So, unfortunately, I can only say "That is a problem, and we are working on it."

As for your other, I may be able to put out a little something for one or two of those.

I expect to see full blown giddy when I do. ;)

Lubidius    10

I'd like to know what you used as well. I personally have been learning Scribus, which I definitely recommend as an open source layout tool. It performs embedding of fonts rather well. It's pdf export functionality seems to support many formats as well. It's documentation is good too. I'm a brand spanking newbie at layout, and their example projects were enough to get me going quick-like. Of course there is always something more virtually auto-magical, like MS Publisher, but I think Scribus is a better go-between of professional layout applications vs novice-oriented automated layout tools.

Edited by Lubidius

Grimace    14

What do I use to create the PDF? Adobe Acrobat. If there's a trick to getting it to accept the style formats, I'm not sure what it is.

As for what I use to create the layout (which I purposefully kept very simple...no frames), I use Publisher. When I did the Quick Hits I decided to use one of their quick templates. I'm not overly happy with the quick template, though, so I'll likely use frames and get a MUCH better format. We'll have to see how my third version of Quick Hits comes out. If anyone has tips on how to get the font styles imbedded into the PDF through Adobe Acrobat, though, I'm all ears. I've got a tassle of font styles and I hope I can get the pdf format to keep them so it'll show up for everyone.

harmyn    10

First let me say, these are a great idea man and very well done. I have been gone from the forum far too long to have missed this very clever idea on your part. I look forward to seeing what other ones you come up with.

On the issue of fonts, some fonts out on the web are designed to not be allowed to be embedded into PDFs. The great fonts on the HP Lovecraft Society sadly fall into this category. That may be the problem you are running into on them.

Grimace    14

Yes, I've found that some of the fonts I used simply couldn't be put into the document with the resources I have at my disposal. I have since found other fonts that I know I can embed into the pdf. I, hopefully, shouldn't have a font problem with the next issue.

And I must give a nod to you guys that put out Mini Six, as it was the little settings in the back that brought this idea to the forefront of my mind. So thank YOU for the spark. :)