Jump to content
D6 Online 3.0
Lubidius

The Shores Of Destiny - Dreams Of A Petal Throne Chapter 3

Recommended Posts

Lubidius    10

The Commander of the expedition, Jathali, gathers the group together on deck as you all find your footing again on the grand galley Nosalas. "Well now, that was an interesting evening? No? I'm glad you all are now safe. The Captain gives his thanks as well, for your protection of the Princess and her sister Lady Jaluda. They are friends from many years past. I want to thank you for bringing the bound sorcerer and his brigand friend to us as well! I have invited someone aboard to help interrogate the prisoner. I believe he may be able to determine the depth of this conspiracy as (and if) it pertains to the temple of Q'on or another deity. My contacts in the small local temple here in Chame'el swear by the renown of his previous "results". Here he is now (Commander Jathali motions the approaching wiry man to meet and greet the group). "Great and knowledgeable Neqo, good evening sir. Are you prepared to start the interrogation?" The young bony temple priest approaches the group. Hanumal sees his friends Barrel of Swords and Ttk-chtk-dsá approach the immediate area as well, they give him a knowing nod, as if to say 'glad to see you still in one piece'.

 

[GM NOTE: I'm going to step back a bit from the characters at this point, at least for the time being. You should feel free to prep for departure or start conversations with the other characters, NPCs or the like. Debate what you are aware of already from this evenings' festivities, anything you see fit to chat about or do. It is late in the evening, the boat is due to depart early in the morning. Feel free to use the NPCs lightly as you see fit. You might have a short bit of time in the morning to obtain additional provisions from the market area, but not much time there-of. One point of note, the monkey/lemur died later of his internal wounds, prior to your departure from the palace with their guards. Everyone is now finally on the Nosalas.]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danielle    10

The priestess sighs and picks at her robes as the crew gathers on the deck, distracted by the delightful prospect of the lemur awaiting dissection in her cabin below. With the body to catalogue and the new books to read she cannot wait for the boring steady sameness of the open sea. These pleasant daydreams are broken as she sees the young priest step forward and notes his colors. Suddenly her body radiates polite stillness.

 

"Greetings tusmishan. It is very dutiful of your temple to investigate the crimes perpetrated by one of its number. May I please introduce my guardsman, and fellow worshipper of the Almighty Prince of the Blue Room, Kamar? And also let me express my hope that despite the. . . friction. . . between our two great temples, we may work pleasantly together for the good of the Imperium."

 

Damn! A priest of Qon, here! She has never been introduced to one before, and has a vague fear that he might pull out an iron mace right here on the deck and begin laying about in a zealous fury. In her mind she begins to file through what she has learned, what can be shared, and how best to achieve the goal laid upon her by Lady Aletheya without letting the most precious of treasures fall into hands that would hide it for a thousand thousand years. As her migraine builds Osure is reminded why she tried to choose a life devoid of politics and rivalries and gods.

 

[[Kamar and I will be out of town Friday-Sunday, so won't post during that time. Welcome to the game Neqo!]]

Edited by Danielle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamar is a bit lost in his reverie over the many strange events of the last few days, but senses his principal's nervousness. He tries to stand up straight and project keenness and professionalism, but probably succeeds only in looking uncomfortable in his ceremonial armor.

 

He takes his position before the priestess and nods to the priest from the temple of Lord Qon, wondering whatever it might be that makes Osure so uncomfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rleduc    10

"Ngangmura, Commander," Neqo says excitedly, giving a deep bow to Jathali. "I am ready to commence at your word. I have discovered that there may be a connection of interest with my previous investigations we should perhaps discuss."

 

Blushing slightly at his breach of etiquette, Neqo turns to the assembled, "Ngangmura, tusmikang, tusmishan, tusmingaru, tusmikru. La, so many Tsoliani in one place. It is good to be among you all, especially after so many days here among the foreign."

 

Turning to the priestess of Ksarul, he adds, "Tusmishan, it is most pleasing to hear words of devotion to our Emperor so far from our noble homeland. In my work, I have seen both lan and bussan from many, regardless of creed or clan. I am sure you will join me in agreeing that noble action is our calling, and service to the Petal Throne can never be other than this."

 

Hesitating, smiling curiously and blushing again, he adds "Let me also assure you that I share your zeal for knowledge. I look forward to our further acquaintance."

 

 

[[Thanks Osure! Very much looking forward to it. I hope I can keep up with the level of writing. The past adventures are a great read!]]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lubidius    10

[ur Athal und Hanumal. Last chance in case you want a word in edge-wise. Nothing major decision wise here, so no biggie if you don't. Composing reply.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lee Torres    10

"Ngangmura, tusmishan," Hanumal says, greeting the new priest, "I will be pleased to lend whatever aid you may require in the interrogation of this prisoner. I am Kasi Hanumal hiKharsama, of the clan of the Iron Fist. It is my proud duty to lead the ship's armed company for the greater glory of the Petal Throne."

 

He then acknowledges Barrel of Swords and Ttk-chtk-dsá with a nod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lubidius    10

[Hey. Just a heads up that I'm in comms with Rob L. as to how he would like to handle the interrogation scene/s. We 'might' do something online to make the exchange much quicker , and to allow for Neqo to delineate only what he feels the temple OR the character would divulge. Anyhow, more soon...]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ur Athal    10

Ur Athal is somewhat busy taking care of certain pointy objects that were unwillingly stuck in him. He does acknowledge the newcomer with a grunt, keeping any questions as to where this priests loyalties lie to himself. He has heard rumors that priest of Qon look upon the one other differently, perhaps even with favor, however he shall observe and attempt to keep an open mind. An open mind does not mean that he will not be watching for any treachery he simply won't speak publicly about his concerns. Should they unfortunately come to fruition he will make sure the priest has a sudden, painful, and exceedingly short argument with a shortsword. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lubidius    10

"Kasi Hanumal, I would like you to attend the interrogation with me and our esteemed inquisitor Neqo. If you are up to it? Your past experiences may be of interest to our temple friend here? I know you all have had a rough evening. This could be a long night ahead of us with the sorcerer. And you all (addressing the group), please, get settled, and rest. Hanumal, if you are not up to the task, that is understandable considering your 'interesting' evening. Neqo, the Captain has allowed us the use of his quarters. It is spacious. He will sleep with the ship's mates tonight, and feel for once what they must go through in his charge no doubt!" A small laugh chirps from his chest. "Well then, meet us in the Captain's quarters below as soon as you have washed and quenched yourself. I will have the prisoner brought forthwith to the Captain's chamber." With that, Neqo is escorted to the Captain's room. A large desk , wooden, beautiful takes up the most part of one wall. A mid-sized bed, ornate, yet simple in design fills the rear and middle. A mirror is seen on one side, with detailed wash basin below. Two attendant slaves watch as Neqo and the commander enter the quarters. They have cleared most of the room of the Captain's more personal items. They leave quickly after Neqo and Commander Jathali enter the room. Neqo is seated at the captains desk chair. A simple chair is brought in. A large bucket of water. A small table with what looks like small scalpals and tools of torture are also rolled in. Neqo finds that amusing. He may not need to go that route. A laugh parts his lips, he takes a drink of water from a small bowl provided to him on the desk. The prisoner is brought in , his arms bound behind his body, with heavy bronze clasps. The prisoner is awoken with Salts of Salesh; a strong narcotic agent found in a watery marsh plant of Tsolyanu.

 

[ At this time, Hanumal you may enter, or not if you care not to partake in monitoring the interrogation. We'll make this quick, but it is an important exchange. If this drags into the weekend realtime, I will get with Rob and do an instant message meeting to speed it up some. The other characters are free to go about their own business prepping for the trip, discussing occurrences with one another over a quick snack, etc.]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lubidius    10

@Neqo / Hanumal:

The sorcerer emits a groan, followed by a startled gaze at Neqo. Quickly it turns into a small laugh, as he quips "So, they send a child to question me? How weak do they think I am? Have you even stared a demon in the eyes young one? Have you soiled yourself in desperation? I think not. You've seen nothing... You will know nothing."

 

@Ur Athal:

Osure helps your wound with a salve she had concocted for the previous sea battle with the demon Gashtene. She kept a good amount of it on hand in a clay pot, covered with gauze.

 

@Osure / Kamar:

You finally find the time to settle into your cramped quarters, after taking quick initial care of Ur Athal. You now have the time, to crack open your loaned books. The first, is a grimoire, written mostly in Bednaljin Salarvyani (which you can make out the writing of in most of the book) but there is intermingled within the text, a codex style of language, unknown to you. It seems to be a cryptic language of personal notes. It may take you some time to "attempt" to render the codex language into passable notes. Some of those notes seem to be key to the spell instructions. The other book is a history of the Cloak Of Azure Gems, written by the Lady Jaluda herself, in her own hand. It is roughly 2/3 full of written text. Small notes are given in the codex encrypted language as well. You think she must have put special notes in this language to protect it from unknown eyes in case the tome was lost. It will take you some time to attempt to decipher the codex; and even then, your skills at cryptography are not your strongest suit.

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As reading is definitely not Kamar's strong suit, he will content himself with fetching supplies and food for the priestess while she works, and cheerfully offer his opinions as to what various phrases or constructions might mean until she learns better than to ask him. He's fairly certain that any *good* history will feature swordfights, evil sorcerors, forbidden love, and demonic followers of the One Other, and will offer translations which spice things up a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danielle    10

Leafing through the grimoire, Osure vents a sigh, not relishing the coming long nights of attempting to decipher the strange language. Then she decides to put it off for another evening and do something more relaxing. She clears off the table and lays out her instruments before carefully skinning the strange creature and packing the hide in salt; then moves on to removing and sketching the internal organs, preserving any of interest. Kamar is enlisted in this task, and she listens politely, but distractedly, to his theories of the history of Cloak of Azure Gems.

 

After hours, her forearms covered in blood, Osure drops the various bones into a cleaning solution and begins to tidy up, feeling greatly relaxed and restored to equilibrium, ready to brooch an uncomfortable subject.

 

"Guardsman, we need to speak of your actions at the banquet this evening. I appreciate your zealousness on behalf of my honor, but feel a need to point out that our order is more concerned with the reality of power than the trappings of it. In risking upsetting a Princess of Salarvyaa, you drew unseemly attentions to our activities. . ." Her face flushes in remembrance of all those strange foreign people turning to stare at her, and she keeps her eyes on her cleaning work as she waits for his response."

((This is probably irrelevant, but does she recognize this species? Is it inherently demonic/possessed, or was a spell placed upon it? If she does recognize it, its it rare enough to be worth preserving/taxedermying?

 

Here are two rolls:

Naturalist: W6+5 / 23 total

Perception of Energies: 6 total (to detect spells cast on it) ))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamar speaks with a mixture of warily feigned contrition and bruised pride. "Well, honoured priestess, we can't as have greasy Salarvyani lacking respect for their betters from sacred Hmakuyal. Else these jumped-up foreigners may go thinking just because their ancestors betrayed our Lord Ksarul for some green-eyed slatternly mix-up of Lady Avanthe and Lady Dlamelish, that they don't have to honor them what have served the Blue Prince since before the treachery at Dormoron Plain."

 

He pauses, realizing he has drawn himself up and let his hand drop to his sword hilt unconsciously. "They can't go seating you down among the merchants and scribes, you being a noble woman of ancient family. They'll hear it from me an' they try again."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lubidius    10

@Osure: In your very quick review of the history tome (assuming here that you leafed through both tomes), you note one image that immediately strikes you. It is a picture of the 'Lemur like 'creature you ran into in the library. What you can make out in the notes is one word repeated, which has no direct translation you are aware of, sounded out in Bednaljin Salarvyani tongue as "Faaaathuuneeehhrr". The other notes nearby are all in codex coded language. As you move the history tome back to a nearby shelf for safe-keeping, a piece of parchment slips out from the rear of the book. It has been folded many times over from what you can tell in a quick observation.

 

[GM Note: Danielle, Please give me a roll in Investigation when you get a chance.]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lubidius    10

@Osure: [This takes some time in tinkering and thinking it out ... but..]

Osure flips the corners of the page in several different patterns, until finally, she realizes that if folded in half, then all four resulting corners are brought to the center, a circle appears; actually a circle within a circle to be exact. This circular image shows Bednaljin Salarvyani sounds/syllables mapped one for one with a completely unique set of sounds. She has found a rather simple but effective method of translating the different groupings of markings into Bednaljin Salarvyani syllables. The codex is not a letter for letter, but a sound for sound mapping! The Lady Jaluda must have had her slave place this codex key in the book for her to find. She then looks back at the codex writing, but something still does not line up. What Osure further notices is that each of the "4" groupings of markings that fold together into one are made up of 16 markings, but put in a 4x4 squares. Looking back at the codex, She realizes, that each page that includes codex writing includes multiples of "64" markings, in varying lengths per what originally appear to be "words". Osure takes each marking one by one, 16 per each corner of the back of a clean sheet of square parchment, top left first, then top right, followed by bottom left then bottom right ; she folds each of the 4 corners inwards, until they all meet. And presto, the resulting image results in a new sentence of sounded syllables that can be one for one translated with the "key" provided by Lady Jaluda's brilliant brilliant hand. Osure is nearly ready to hug Kamar she is so excited.

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danielle    10

After coughing embarrassingly and backing away from Kamar, Osure will translate the notes around the picture of the "Faaaathuuneeehhrr" and compare them to the results of her dissection.

 

[[very cool cryptography, that Lady Jaluda has quite a mind!]]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lubidius    10

@Osure:

Osure takes the time to try out her new decoding theory by reviewing the entry on the Fathunehr, and finds three rather startling phrases in the addendum encrypted notes. It states that such a creature has shown the ability to control minds, cause insanity, and is... undead in nature. She is taken aback by this last statement. She looks back up to Kamar with a paralyzing look of fear.

 

@Kamar:

You notice a slight fluttering of the organs that were removed from the Fathunehr (Crazy Lemur). The bones start to clatter about on the table, and the body of the demon lemur startles itself awake. The eyes of the head, which remains intact on the neck of the body open wide, the crimson colored eyes stare left then right, then directly at Kamar. Organs flail about in an attempt to leap back inside the body cavity. Any blood Osure "let"during the process begins to pool up, and move towards the inside of what was once the intact body of the creature.

 

[GM Note: Kamar, roll both your Physique and your Accumen for me please.]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamar utters a stream of colorful Chakan profanity having to do with chlen beasts and someone's mother while struggling to tear his eyes from the horror and to draw his sword.

 

Kamar's Physique (3D): 6, 1, *3 (Wild) = 10

Kamar's Accumen (4D): 5, 2, 2, *5 (Wild) = 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lubidius    10

Kamar finds himself going limp, the tension in his body dropping almost immediately. An odd sense of elation rises as a result. All of the harsh realities of this plane of existence melt away in an instant. He then finds himself oddly compelled to find all of the body parts that may have been removed and placed in other areas of the room close to the utterly disgusting self-repairing carcass in front of him. For several seconds throughout, he is able to shake off the powerful driving force, but it quickly takes over again. (GM Note: We'll roll every three rounds to see if you can regain control) Osure, you are free to react, or scream, or both :) Of note to Hanumal, still waiting on a reply from Rob to the main thread in regards to the interrogation.

 

@Ur Athal, Your brother finally gets back to the boat, under supervision of two house guards from the Cloak Of Azure Gems palace. He is groggy, but has recovered relatively fully, other then a banging head-ache. "Brother, I feel that I may better serve our people by returning home. I wish to regain my status, and keep a footing for our family to retain it's rights of leadership. With uncle slain, we are likely to run into trouble... Ohhhhh urrggh " he holds his head as his brain swims from the after effects of the drugs. "My apologies for my behavior tonight." He tries to gracefully fall back onto your cot, but knocks into the wall, creating even more aching to his brain.

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamar will begin industriously cleaning up the area, delicately gathering up the appropriate organs and bringing them with delicate alacrity to their erstwhile owner. He will mumble in Chakan patois about the "poor wee beastie" while helping it to re-assemble its scattered parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danielle    10

"Kamar! Don't touch that. What are. . ."

Osure trails off and stares at the young man as he mutters unintelligibly and gathers up the assorted organs, then back down at the flayed pelt re-wrapping itself about the skeleton. Fascinating! I wish I'd learned to control undead Slowly, she picks up the creature's liver and backs from the table before casting The Blessing of the Planes upon herself and Kamar.

 

Then, holding the liver delicately between two fingers over the jar of lye present for cleaning the bones, she addresses the air in Bednaljin Salarvyanni. "If I drop this, it'll be destroyed. There is no need for hostility between us. Speak your wish."

 

[[screaming is the action of someone who doesn't want to one day grow up to man the Vrodla creation tanks. No, we must study the insanity demon for the advancement of knowledge and the good of (MAD) science!"

 

Blessing of the Planes is my "allies within x feet" magic resistance spell. The roll:3D+1=4,2,4=11]]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ur Athal    10

"Alas brother were it only not so. I can see by this experience that you would be far better off in the lands of our people, than in these strange lands. I must stay my course, for the Lord Karakan has called to me, and charged me with a holy mission to protect our people from the ravages of the One Other. Should I prove worthy it will be merely my first step on a long road to making sure that what happened to you shall never again be visited upon our people by the desires of outsiders. We will be strong, respected, and feared as we once were, instead of the targets for derision and enslavement we have become because of the headstrong nature of our people. Aid me in this and I shall love you as a brother, fail to do so and expect nothing from me upon my return to our people from my divinely directed tribulations." A zealous light shines in Ur Athal's eyes, part act, part belief, but enough to convince most that he is inspired. Lord Karakan cares not whether one man or another succeeds in his quest so long as the quest is pursued, so long as we live and die with honor and strength, but some need to have more than their own strength, and for them I will continue to play this card unto the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×