D6 Online 3.0
Desert Kris

G.I. Joe and so many others, in D6

Hello, I'm completely new here, but I've recently gone war-wacky over all things D6. I'm am so happy to have found the old Star Wars Second Edition Revised, which all by itself seemed to promise so many worlds, galaxies and universes beyond just the SW Galaxy. I've always been impressed by how simple, coherent, and fun it's been as a system.

The more I learned about it, the more I thought I could do with the system. I had seen the Space, Fantasy, Adventure D6 trilogy, and longed for them while they were unfortunately outside my budget. But one day, I came across the Core Book "tool kit" and the possibilities exploded exponentially for me!

I recently bought a new notebook (and I already have a ridiculous number of notebooks for different areas of concern/interest) and have been bouncing back and forth between assembling some skeletal basics for a number of "front burner" projects. The back contains a page and a half worth of the current projects and the ones I hope to tinker with down the road.

My front burner projects include G.I. Joe (which has been tricky for figuring out stats for modern-ish military vehicles, Armor and Weapons damage). I'm getting some basics translated for Dungeons and Dragons as prep work for the real goal: Eberron D6 (although D&D as a whole is also one of the projects, so I'm killing two birds with one stone there, in a sense). I've been using the D6 to D20 guidelines from the Wizards of the Coast SW RPG and reverse engineering it (hoping that WotC D&D and SW are going to be close enough); the D6 Fantasy rulebook has helped to fill in some gaps that have cropped up on the way.

I have some story-concept/campaign notes outlined as a prompt for a Masters of the Universe D6 game. And recently I rough drafted a character sheet for the world of Harry Potter, which is helping me to organize skills, spells and such into workable categories.

What can I say? Anything sci-fi/fantasy that I've ever obsessed about, I want a game for. I'm a little stretched thin, as the saying goes, bouncing back and forth between all this stuff, but it's very fulfilling from a creative standpoint. :)

Welcome aboard! I, too, have notes on a D6 variant of GI Joe, but it's never really gone beyond notes. I'd be interested to see what you're doing for that. Your other projects sound pretty interesting too! Hopefully you can get them hammered out and share some of your ideas on this site.

Welcome to the board, Desert Kris! I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with for Eberron and Harry Potter.

Thanks for the welcome!

The G.I. Joe stuff is interesting to work on; the major things I'm trying to work through are the armor ratings or "hull codes" for vehicles, and the Damage caused by military weaponry. I tried guessing at a range of hull codes, based on the hull codes in SW D6, which range between 2D and 7D (a star destroyer's hull is 7D, to my surprise; keeping in mind the scale of vehicles and ships).

I've researched stuff online about real military weapons and vehicles, but primarily the original Larry Hama Real American Hero comic series is the version of G.I. Joe that I work towards, with traces of the parallel cartoon series thrown in. I meant to start out simple with some generic Cobra troops, a couple of Cobra higher-ups, and a collection of major Joes. To my surprise, I found myself anxious to write up stats Serpentor (even though I don't really plan to use him within a game, per se) and in the end did him first, because I was always fascinated by the concept of his character, and he was one of the small handful of GI Joe toys I had when I was a kid. Even though I know that the concept of his character is a bit outlandish in the context of the comics, to a certain extent.

I do have a write up for the generic Cobra trooper, so I've got the endless Cobra hordes. I plan to work through Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Zartan, who are all martial artist. Zartan is going to be interesting, 'cause in some ways he's more of an enigma than other character (master of several "mystic martial arts", "inhuman" strength, creates disguises partly by hypnosis, skin turns a startling blue color in direct sunlight in a couple episodes of the cartoon :o ).

For the Eberron project, I've hashed out some Racial and Character Class traits from the D&D Player's Guide, which I can add together in different combinations to construct a good variety of templates. I've prepped Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Dwarves (I think) and Halflings; and I've got notes for Fighter, Sorcerer, Paladin (which I figure would match well with the cult of the Silver Flame or whatever it's called), Ranger, and Rogue. It's funny how much D&D material needs to be dropped out and streamlined, I'm not even too worried about character advancement, figuring it will be easier with the D6 system rather than consulting all those calculation charts in the D20 books.

I'm going to stick with a small sampling of iconic D&D monsters, supplimented with some of the more intriguing Eberron monsters. For Eberron Races and Character Classes, I like the Shape-shifters and the War Forged; the Artificers and the Extreme Adventurer prestige class for the bare basics.

Harry Potter is confounding me more than I thought, because I'm not remembering a lot of the spells and magic; and my initial direction for the distribution of the spells is proving more complicated than I thought. The rough draft character write up for Harry Potter is quite a mess, but it was a helpful guideline for what I need to work out.

I think the excitment of a number of projects are the connection to their "toy line advertisement" roots. GI Joe, Masters of the Universe, Transformers, have had some great revivals over the last decade, but I haven't been able to get the new toys that I wasn't able to get back in the day when they first came out, so having stats for them is kind of a way of having those toys to play with in a narrative game context (which is what playing with toys is all about anyway). The D6 is a great, easy way of making and then playing with the toys. :o

I've actually got a couple of old school sci-fi cartoons translated into D6. Robotech and Starblazers. Robotech was fun and actually got me thinking about something that I have been putting off until I have refilled my sanity enough to actually tackle it... D6 MechWarrior. But, right now, I am happily converying the Star Wars Saga Edition into a D6 variant with some updated rules to introduce d20ers to the 'Capital D gaming' of D6.

Here's a very well done Robotech D6 conversion. (not made by me)

http://www.ninjalawyer.com/public/ROBOTECH%20RPG.doc

That looks really promising, lot's of good stuff there. How did you discover that? Has anyone playtested it, I wonder? The only thing that throws me off a little are the scale adjustment charts, the simplicity of the SW Second Edition Revised and Expanded RPG's scale adjustments seem so easy in comparison to the earlier Second Edition. Still, this looks like it could be great fun to play with.

Hey, if you ever need a better explanation/understanding of the 2nd edition scale rules, just ask. I can explain them fairly well.

I haven't seen these rules before for the Robotech, so I'm not sure how well balanced they are.

*edit* I had a chance to look it over. It's a little high powered, even on the low end. And whomever put it together had a pretty good fascination with the Starship Troopers movie. If I used this, which doesn't really strike me as a possibility as the way it's laid out and presented doesn't capture my imagination at all, I'd make a lot of changes to the stats of things.

... How did you discover that? Has anyone playtested it, I wonder? ...

I did a Google search on "Robotech rpg d6" and just kept digging from there. I haven't had a chance to playtest it, and as others have commented, there could be a few issues with scale and the mech stats. However, that guy did a lot of work and it makes a great starting point for your own conversion.

Today's been a fairly productive day! I came across an Indiana Jones topic elsewhere on this forum a couple days ago, and since that was one of the other games on my list, I pulled it out of storage (it will also serve as the building block for constructing some other '20's-'40's Pulp Fiction characters, The Shadow, The Rocketeer, Dick Tracy). There's been some very satisfying cross-pollination going on as a result, when I consulted an online conversion for Masterbook to D6, I came across some useful tidbits having to do with Armor and Weapon Damage; this helps me with options for Weapons and Armor for the G.I. Joe stuff, so this little tangent turned out to be useful for that frontburner project. I had collected a small set of notes as focus guidelines for IJ RPG which I jotted down yesterday and today, and today I plunged ahead and did a conversion for the Generic Archeologist template.

Then I converted a few monsters from D&D (Goblin, Skeleton, Ogre, Human Warrior/Soldier/Bandit). Seeing them in D6 form makes it easier to spot out their strengths and weaknesses. I want to do a Dragon sometime soon, but I was on a roll (pun intended) and I wanted to get some preliminaries done with Eberron.

I now have some notes about the Changling and War Forged Races, and some details for building an Artificer. A good day's work.

Edited by Desert Kris