D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Grimace

OpenD6 SRD project

This will be the thread to discuss what all will be included in a system resource document for the OpenD6 system.

It will be hosted on the GameDistrict site (www.thegamedistrict.com) courtesy of Infinite Possibilities.

Volunteers are accepted for anyone that wants to take part in putting this together. Sound off if you are interested, even if it is simply to provide input on what you feel would be best to include.

I volunteer!

If I were to pick one up and read it I would expect it to contain not only the "normal" sets of rules but to clearly indicate the various options that have occurred in other existing D6 published works. Popular house rules and options I would expect to find in a supplemental document. So for example some published versions seem to indicate that stuns cause higher wound levels, while other don't.

I would expect that the writing focuses on being as clear as possible and include a plethora of examples. I would like to have it in the state of anytime anyone posts a question to the forum on "How does this rule work" we should be able to copy-paste from the SRD or refer them to it. If they still don't get it, we fix the SRD. Along this lines expect a very clear index, glossary and organization.

I would NOT expect it to contain specific world details except those that might occur in the examples. I also would not expect (in the main book) to have guidance on playing, GMing, how to create worlds, etc. I would not expect the book to actually contain the quirks, advantages, etc. just indicate that they are there, have point values, etc. I would not expect it to indicate which attributes exist, but to do as the D6 system book but have the "core" attributes. I would not expect to see all the skills either, especially since they are skill tied to attributes

So a lot of what the D6 System book is (we should probably start by cannibalizing) but more compact without all the fluff. So something like the first N pages of Mini Six, but with more clarity of rules, examples and optional rules.

So as a sample process:

-Develop outline

-Completely read/analyze ALL other open D6 rules.

-Cannibalize works when appropriate, rewriting troublesome areas

-List all variant options

-Explain how the variants fit together or don't. (This is like the Meta SRD I want to see.)

-Edit, edit, edit.

Well, since I've taken to volunteering people, I suppose I might as well toss my lot in.

I volunteer! If I were to pick one up and read it I would expect it to contain not only the "normal" sets of rules but to clearly indicate the various options that have occurred in other existing D6 published works. Popular house rules and options I would expect to find in a supplemental document. So for example some published versions seem to indicate that stuns cause higher wound levels, while other don't.

I honestly think that initially we should concentrate on getting the 'normal' set of rules defined as they are slightly different system to system. Since there are a few different systems this might take a bit of time.

I would expect that the writing focuses on being as clear as possible and include a plethora of examples. I would like to have it in the state of anytime anyone posts a question to the forum on "How does this rule work" we should be able to copy-paste from the SRD or refer them to it. If they still don't get it, we fix the SRD. Along this lines expect a very clear index, glossary and organization.

I agree with you absolutely on this. Basically, have the Meta SRD become like an 'OpenD6 Bible' document.

I would NOT expect it to contain specific world details except those that might occur in the examples. I also would not expect (in the main book) to have guidance on playing, GMing, how to create worlds, etc. I would not expect the book to actually contain the quirks, advantages, etc. just indicate that they are there, have point values, etc. I would not expect it to indicate which attributes exist, but to do as the D6 system book but have the "core" attributes. I would not expect to see all the skills either, especially since they are skill tied to attributes

I agree with you about keeping the information as generic as possible. Honestly, a compiled list of the various quirks, advantages, and the like would be nice. This can be something that we add in later. I'm a bit unsure of not including 'core' attributes. But, I can see some logic to not doing it.

So a lot of what the D6 System book is (we should probably start by cannibalizing) but more compact without all the fluff. So something like the first N pages of Mini Six, but with more clarity of rules, examples and optional rules.

That means I'm going to actually have to read the books... phewy!

So as a sample process:

-Develop outline

-Completely read/analyze ALL other open D6 rules.

-Cannibalize works when appropriate, rewriting troublesome areas

-List all variant options

-Explain how the variants fit together or don't. (This is like the Meta SRD I want to see.)

-Edit, edit, edit.

I'm a bit unsure of not including 'core' attributes. But, I can see some logic to not doing it.

Actually I think we should have some like the D6 System does. However, I don't think we want to use the same set. Having the four physical and no mental "core" attributes is strange. Probably we'll want to create some minimal set from the rough intersection of the actual published games. I haven't read all the genres (my strongest is Fantasy and SWRPG) but I suspect that there is some reasonable intersection that is different than the ones in the D6 system.

I'm in.

What structure will we want to use for our project? Something similar to the hypertext D20 rules? Or did we want to do something a bit different?

Darren

Whenever I write I usually try to start plain text and ignore the formatting as much as possible. I personally would prefer to see the content first, then find someone to do formatting. If people want to use some other format such as docx or rtf then one of the first tasks should be getting someone who can set up the styles, then we try to keep it simple. I just want to make sure we don't get into formatting churn.

Content is most important to get first, then formatting. I'm learning Plain Language for my work, so I should be able to streamline the wording of things by the time I'm done and keep this as a lean, informative document.

Just curious, is there any reason why attributes shouldn't be listed? Wouldn't it be best to at least list the various attributes and skills that are available in the various OpenD6 publications? We don't have to get into massive detail or descriptions of the attributes and skills, but a list I think would be good to have for people to compare against each other.

I like the format from d20srd.org... it works really well at presenting a single set of rules at. The real question is how do we want present the D6 SRD, as a combination of 4 systems (D6 Master, D6 Adventure, D6 Fantasy, D6 Space) or as a single set of rules... where all the rules are combined.

The real question is how do we want present the D6 SRD, as a combination of 4 systems (D6 Master, D6 Adventure, D6 Fantasy, D6 Space) or as a single set of rules... where all the rules are combined.

Good question.

I would love to see original toolkit as the core of the SRD and then all the options for adventure, space and fantasy branching off of it.

Darren

I like the format from d20srd.org... it works really well at presenting a single set of rules at. The real question is how do we want present the D6 SRD, as a combination of 4 systems (D6 Master, D6 Adventure, D6 Fantasy, D6 Space) or as a single set of rules... where all the rules are combined.

This is really the crux of it and is the root of the attributes we show and if we show skills. From what I have read it seems there there are some essentials that are true across all variants. Attributes and skills are expressed as a D6 roll (not a d8 or d10), the wild die, skill progression, opposed tests, standard difficulties, character and fate point usage, etc. As I do more reading these seem to be the essential bits that should be in the D6 SRD.

For attributes the essential ones must be there to make sense of the rest of the core rules. For example there will need to be a Strength, Physique, Might or whatever it is called. That attribute MUST be explained to make the rest of the rules make sense, such as wound levels. So we will have to talk about attributes. But which ones? It makes sense to do like the D6 System and explain the general categories. (We could just copy-paste and clean up). It might be and easy effort to combine all attributes from all system and make a massive list and provide some guidelines for choosing, combining and balancing. However that seems more like a game design guide, which can be a *lot* of work. I suspect we might just want to limit it to the ones that we must have for the rules to make sense then gloss over other things like "Magic, Technical, Mechanical."

If I were doing it solo, I'd do a combined thing then make specialization books. Very similar to the way the Open D6 books are set up, but I'd make core book more agnostic and then the derivative books would be just the genre bits.

It appears that the D20 SRD really is the "DnD SRD". That is the opposite path from what I'm suggesting, which I'd prefer we not take. D6 is so cool because it does work well in so many genre's that it seems like a crime to choose one to be the SRD that start the whole thing.

From a purely pragmatic approach, I suspect we are going to have an easier time and significantly increase chance of meeting deadlines if we start small.

Of course given a good argument I can easily be convinced otherwise. ;)

The way I see it, OpenD6 is 4 books: The D6 System, D6 Space, D6 Adventure, D6 Fantasy. Most people who hear of OpenD6 will have heard of three of those books (the 3 core books) and may or may not know about the fourth.

So while I think we should include all of those four, we can also realize that much of what is in D6 Adventure is also in the other two core books (Space and Fantasy) so it should make correlating the information relatively easy.

We can have a "basic" version reflecting the key changes between The D6 System book and the 3 core books, and then list all of the various options available from all four books that are more specific to each book.

Using only one book as a base, however, will severely limit the information available as "basic" OpenD6.

One time stirring the pot here.

Agree with Grimace on the FOUR books.

As for organization. I've been working on a SRD-Like setup for my personal understanding of the system.

First I have chapters that apply to ALL genre's.

- Basic conventions, definitions/glossary, etc.

- Character Creation

- Character Advancement

- Skills (from EVERY book)

- Advantages, Disadvantages, Special Abilities (from EVERY book)

- Combat

- Healing

- Money and Equipment (from EVERY book)

- Racial Templates

- Creature Templates

- Career / Class / Job Templates for Char Creation

From here now to specialized chapters

- Fantasy

- Modern/Near Modern

- Sci Fi/Future

- Magic Arcane

- Magic Divine

- Magic Psionic

- Spells/Powers

I'm Not sure where to put "Vehicle/Space Combat" or if they should be split into two chapters. Will decide that once I get to it.

Enjoy

Vehicles and Vehicle Combat should definitely be two different chapters, separate from Aerospace Combat. Aerospace Combat is different from vehicle combat because it involves flying vehicles and starships, both of which have similar behavior.

@Grimace - Quote "I'm learning Plain Language for my work"... Damn it all they have that? All this while I've been deploying Overly Complex Diatribes 101. :) For some reason, without results, but much to the grins and giggles of my co-workers.

Wow.. Didn't know they had this online - http://www.sec.gov/pdf/handbook.pdf

May have to review it...

Edited by Lubidius

Back on topic, you may want to gander at how the d20 SRD is separate from it's modern counterpart.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srdarchive

and how each is compartmentalized into categorical zips. I like how they originally released these. You can skip right to the Basics, then download and utilize only the other parts as you need to review them.

And I'D HELP, but I have a butt-load on the plate as it is. If I clear up in a few months, I'll check again to see where things are at.

As noted earlier in this thread, the http://www.d20srd.org/ site is about as clear cut as you get. I've always referenced it. Also, this one is a decent one as well -

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Edited by Lubidius

Anyone know what the next step is?

While I've lead projects like this before, I feel you (Andrew)F have clearly established yourself as the leader for the project.

As for organization. I've been working on a SRD-Like setup for my personal understanding of the system?

How far along are you?

I have all of the OpenD6 Fantasy rulebook in a clean html format. The only thing that it is missing is anchors for all the lines.

My question at this point would literally be the organization...

Edited by hereticalee

It's all good! I had time at the tail end of last week.

The chapters are just hanging there as a reference while I start structuring things.

I will have 3 or 4 columns... one for each genre, plus core. I think one of the goals in the project is to distill the rules down to a single set and then put in the 'exceptions' afterwards.

Since I already had broken the Fantasy materials down to .rtf, I figured I would start there. If someone else can do the same with Adventure and Space, that would be greatly appreciated.

As for organization. I've been working on a SRD-Like setup for my personal understanding of the system?

How far along are you?

I have all of the OpenD6 Fantasy rulebook in a clean html format. The only thing that it is missing is anchors for all the lines.

My question at this point would literally be the organization...

I'm back from my trip. I am both coming along nicely and also haven't typed much on paper yet.

I would like to suggest maybe some google docs so everyone can work on it? OR a free program I found that is like OneNote called "EndNote" which stores the book on the internet and you can share it with others. Works on Windows, Android etc.

Edited by GamerDude