D6 Online 3.0
Whill

Fantasy Flight Games to Publish Star Wars Card, RPG, and Miniature Games

If they used D6 I'll bet it would be better received. With D6 open and FFG having the license to use the Star Wars IP, they could regurgitate WEG Star Wars and it would sell itself.

I have the FFG's entire line of Dragonstar books. For D&D Space Fantasy, it's not too bad.

FFG's first two Star Wars game lines will be the X-Wing miniatures game and Star Wars: The Card Game, both scheduled to launch in early 2012.

Doesn't seem like an RPG is on the radar for the near term.

With D6 open and FFG having the license to use the Star Wars IP, they could regurgitate WEG Star Wars and it would sell itself.

I wonder if Lucas Arts would even allow their property to be used with an open system. Most big companies like that tend to get nervous if one error could open up their IP to the world. If they do use D6, my guess is FFG would have to go through Eric to get a license to use the D6 System, rather than OpenD6.

Darren

I wonder if Lucas Arts would even allow their property to be used with an open system. Most big companies like that tend to get nervous if one error could open up their IP to the world.

Perhaps. That seems like a possible concern for Lucas Inc.

Doesn't seem like an RPG is on the radar for the near term.

True, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it now.

They did the board game Arkham Horror, which is very innovative and cool, and also Grimm, which uses the Linear D6 system explained here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/grimm/media/lineard6.pdf and here for character archetypes: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/grimm/media/Grimm_SampleChapter.pdf. They have done some really good things in the past, and I doubt they'll screw this up - it's too expensive a license to risk screwing up. I think we're in for an awesome game. I hope so, anyway.

Their board games are top notch. Arkham Horror is one of the best games ever produced. Now RPG, I have no idea how they'll do with that. Hopefully they match up their existing production quality with some folks that know the RPG market and in particular, know the history of the WEG D6 Star Wars RPG and it's iterations.

I'm curious about the approach they'll take with the RPG, if they'll go the route they've used for titles like Anima (a traditional core rulebook) or the way they went with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (a boxed set with multiple books, cards, tokens and customized dice).

Anybody have any idea how hard it would be for them to get the rights to update/reprint the old Star Wars D6 supplements under their banner? The system is Open true but in our wildest dreams can we realistically hope they could pull off a resurrection of SW D6?

It would be very VERY awesome if they could do it and do it in a way that they will still make money of course.

Depends. I don't think Lucas Arts would allow it to be done under an open license. Just too scary on their side i would imagine, I know I wouldn't allow it if I were them.

To get access to the D6 System would require the OK from Eric. Not sure if they could afford that and still make the game profitable for FFG. There also comes into consideration, what if Eric sells the system to someone else, or all of a sudden decides he wants more money for the license, or changes his mind for some other reason.

I think in the end, the most likely result, is that they use there own system, or create a new one for it. Though I suppose they might also consider buying the D6 system from Eric. If they can afford the license, they might be able to also afford buying the system.

Darren

I would have to imagine they'd go this route too - "I think in the end, the most likely result, is that they use there own system, or create a new one for it." Which may not be a bad idea. Falling back to D6 may feel (to some, not to most here) like a re-hash, and a lot of people would likely want something fresh, and more directly designed for the setting. Not that Open D6 couldn't be massaged to suit those needs (proof is in the past pudding of course). Anyhow, I don't think whatever they come up with would be terribly difficult to create a conversion chart or three for. Just looking a wee bit at that Linear D6 set of links Lee T. posted a few posts back in this thread, and it seems rather similar to D6 in overall feel. I think it's a good choice in company to take on the line. They make good products, whatever they touch. It might be interesting to see what they come up with from scratch. You never know, it might be nice. Just 2 cents to the pot.

It would be awesome if we got back a D6 SW, I'm not sure if any new players would really care that the "old" D6 SW stuff was re-printed. The system has been out of print for so long that most of the younger players have never even heard of D6 SW. A 3rd ed version of SW D6 would be in order of course but beyond that I think we would be good to go as long as all the re-printing legalities were in order.

As for Eric IF they approached him about buying any rights that he may still own, let's hope they offer him something reasonable and he accepts a reasonable offer.

Edited by TinMan

Yeah but he crossed over the d20 Side. Is his soul redeemable?
As long as he didn't work on D&D 4.0 (i.e. D&D: WoW, then he might be able to be brought back from the abyss.

I haven't played 4.0, but I have it and it seems to be an minor improvement in at least some ways over 3/3.5 which I have played in a few campaigns of. They did make an effort to simplify the game in some ways, which does in general address one of my major complaints about d20 (unnecessary complexity).

Actually Bill did work on 4E, which is probably why he was fired. Some would say that he never really got what D20 was about. I think he needs to return to D6 where he was meant to be :)

Some would say that he never really got what D20 was about.

But he was the WotC Director of RPG R&D for so long. And he never got what d20 was about? Um, I would think that would be a major job requirement! I don't have the utmost in respect for WotC, but I have difficulty believing that the company was that incredibly misguided for so many years. I mean, WotC made a good amount of money in the last decade, didn't it? They must have been doing something right (profitable).

Actually Bill did work on 4E, which is probably why he was fired.

Is 4E really that hated among WotC/d20/D&D fans? I wouldn't think so by the massive plethra of 4E books on the market. If it was so widely despised then how could it possibly be selling enough to warrant the constant creation of new books? Some of you make it sound like WotC is blindly speeding towards bankruptcy.

They turned it into a computer game that you play without a computer. You can "design your character" for a subscription fee, as well as use a GUI to make your character look graphically, play and create maps in 3D, and do other things like a MMO. They sold out realy D&D to the WoW crowd, no offense to Wowers.

WOTC created an unsurpassed player infrastructure for their player base with the DDI.

I wish I had the resources or online presence they created for D&D4

I wish I could sell out to the 2mill+ WOW players, I’d be rich :)

Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll ever see a return to the D6 system for Star Wars. The game has been a non-D6 game for over 12 years now, longer than it existed at WEG.

I think the new game will take the same approach that Dr. Who, or the One Ring, or Mouse Guard did. Personally I’m hoping for a version close to Smallville or Leverage.

Technically WOTC published their Star Wars rules in late 2000 and announced in January 2010 that they were not renewing the license. That is a bit over 10 years of publishing.

WEG published D6 Star Wars material between 1987 and 1999. Which is about 12 years of Star Wars publishing. In 2003/2004 they released D6 Space which used very similar rules in a generic space setting. Supplements were published through 2006. So counting D6 Space WEG actively published D6 space material for some 15 years. About 50% longer than WotC/SAGA.

To summarize, Star Wars has been a published RPG for 24 years (including a roughly 1-year hiatus between WEG and WotC). WEG published Star Wars for 12 of those 24 years and additional D6 Space material for roughly 3 more years. WotC published Star Wars material for about 10 years. Currently RPG material is again on hiatus while we await the new release by FFG.

But non-technically speaking, I highly doubt that FFG will use a D6 system for both marketing and not invented here reasons - despite that fact that I, along with many others, wish that they would.